Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Best Usenet-provider

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Gausselimination » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:36 am

i know first hand that Newshosting and Giganews will both max your line.
Gausselimination

Postby Daviep » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:35 pm

Got to agree about 100proof the worst ever you get a temp password lasts a month waited nearly 2 weeks to get another when it ran out with no service email after email it takes 4 to 5 days to answer if they do at all at the moment my speed has fallen to 30k\bs has been for a week emailed 6 days ago and every day since guess what your right nothing not a peep i went with them cos they were cheap not a good idea suppose you get what you pay for (or not in this case) i also notice they have upped their price since i joined
Daviep

Giganews and Newshosting

Postby n3rdyguy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:40 pm

I've tried the Giganews unlimited in a 3 day trial period and maxed out my 4 mbit line with only 3 connections (using newsbin). I then tried newshosting and their 4 connections couldn't even get me half of my connection speed. I am def. going back to Giganews or Powerusenet!
Btw. I live in Denmark (central europe).
n3rdyguy

hmmmmmgf

Postby n3rdyguy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:37 pm

I believe I have found the answer to my problems with newshosting. It has something to do with the route I have to newshosting. I tried to trace it. Funny enough I have only 11 hops to newshosting, though they are through some smaller pipes, thus the slower speeds. And more than 14 hops to giganews (it stops tracing after that hop, maybe they have a firewall or somethinig blocking for trace). The ping is considerably lower on giganews than newshosting. 20-44ms and 132-155ms. And I believe giganews have a backbone somewhere in The Netherlands, which is a lot closer to me than the US.

Something other I discovered on my little trace. I tried to trace some of the other premium usenet providers.

powerusenet.com and eurousenet.com goes through some of the same pipes that giganews goes through. Telia.net. And they have a common giganews backbone. I wonder if they are all part of the same thing?

Anyways, I found out that Eurousenet has the same low ping as Giganews has, at least for my connection, so I am def. going to try those when my subs. ends with newshosting.
n3rdyguy

Postby scottyskiles » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:49 pm

Newshosting & Newzbin = tons of fun
scottyskiles

Postby Silent Fox » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:34 pm

EDIT
I was Incorrect, Thanks HouseCrowd :D
Last edited by Silent Fox on Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Fox

Postby Silent Fox » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:46 pm

The good thing is my next billing rotation is the 11th, so if this crap persists I can cut it off for a better server, thought I will miss the long retention. Newshosting's looks much shorter.
Silent Fox

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:59 am

Silent Fox wrote:It appears giganews has capped my account. My speeds are fluctuating very weirdly and my speedhas gone no higher than 220 kb/s (low for me) This is annoying and I e-mailed them saying so, waiting for a reply now...

You only have one connection open there. It will usually fluctuate in that way with just one connection. Try at least 3 or 4.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

giganews

Postby john512 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:53 pm

it's amazing to see how many post wrong information in this forum, only to be corrected.

i use giganews and absolutely love it. long retention, blazing fast speeds, fast and courteous customer service, this isn't a fly by night company, this is the real deal.

i found out that they own their own data center, which means they don't pay others for data lines and servers to house usenet data, they OWN IT!
john512

Postby djrizki » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:05 pm

24.95 vs 19.95 ? unlimited

i am trying for thundernews.com right now im impressed with their fast customer service and good speed and service

Hands down for you kids out there if u dont have credit card , this one take Pay Pal payment which still rare in newsgroup community !
djrizki

Postby Slyder23 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:13 pm

I'm using usenext.com, here I get all I need with one single easy to use software:

-> easy search for files
-> easy download: one click and all necessary files are downloaded, repaired and unpacked automatically
-> nice listings of most wanted or most current files (like on NZB-sites)
-> realtime thumbnailview for pictures-newsgroups
-> files are rated by the community including comments to the files, so you get passwords or get warned, if files are faked
-> downloads run always with fullspeed (8 newsserver farms), very high completion
-> very high retention: 70 days
-> new: free download (no traffic is charged) with up to 500 kbps!

with usenext also newbies can finally download files from usenet without being an usenet expert, that's why usenext could be hated by some usenet freaks here in this forum... :wink:
Slyder23

Postby fernandose » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:31 pm

Slyder23, only reason why we hate usenext is that they use deceptive advertising and redicously over price thier accounts. NewsHosting Unlimited is $14.95. UseneXt are for the lazy and plain stupid.
fernandose

Postby Slyder23 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:29 pm

UseneXt are for the lazy and plain stupid.

I knew that you will hurt me! :wink:

NewsHosting Unlimited is $14.95.

despite of the fact that you will save a *lot* of time using the unique usenext client (time is money!), you get the unlimited account alrady for $9.65 with usenext (UseNeXT 10: 10GB highspeed + unlimited download with up to 500kbps). so there are not expensive at all - and btw does NewsHosting offer a retention of 70 days...?
Slyder23

Postby stoops » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:04 pm

Slyder23 wrote:despite of the fact that you will save a *lot* of time using the unique usenext client (time is money!)

How exactly does the client save you time!?...Sorry a *lot* of time??....
"Honey bring me a beer. I've got a war to win!" - Bill Hicks
stoops

Postby ToM » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:56 pm

stoops wrote:
Slyder23 wrote:despite of the fact that you will save a *lot* of time using the unique usenext client (time is money!)

How exactly does the client save you time!?...Sorry a *lot* of time??....

Real providers cause the average user to think for themselves. UseNext causes people to fall in love with words like "DSL SPEED DOWNLOADZ" and "XXX FAST KAZAA 500%!" and throw any chance of a logical decision being made squarely out the window.
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby SlyckScratch » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:00 pm

I don't know what country you're from Slyder but we have a phrase in England:

"Its like banging your head up against a brick wall"

As you can appreciate, this, quite naturally, is painful and a complete waste of time.

....just like anyone trying to promote UseNext here. You'd be better off promoting them to people who haven't got a clue and preferably, have more money than sense.

Now, if you'll excuse me - i'm about to leech a load of stuff via Newshosting at a super cheap price, all made nice and simple by a wonderful invention called an "NZB"

and it doesn't get any simpler than that
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby carcassfan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:06 pm

check your pm SS.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."

-Ted Nugent

God Bless America!
Tekk wrote:most of the things being pirated are obscure mexican bands
carcassfan

Postby riceboi » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:09 pm

List of Scam Sites: USENEXT IS TOP OF THE LIST ..
AVOID USENEXT LIKE THE PLAGUE..

http://www.gnutellaforums.com/showthrea ... tid=119879
riceboi

Postby Slyder23 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:44 am

as I already tried to explain here usenext is not a scam site. I have to admit that at fist view their website or their banners might be similar to some scam sites.
but besides my experiences many others posted that they could successfully register, download and cancel this service without any problems. they may had some technical problems with paypal some weeks ago, but as I've read in their forums, they've got fixed.

@SlyckScratch: NZB's are fine, but as you may know you first have to find these NZB's somewhere. there are some free sources with a low amount of NZB's available, those who offer a great amount also charge extra money! and even newzbin (costs nearly $2 extra per month), the best NZB service I know, only offers a little part of the daily uploaded files as NZB's!
using the usenext client you will find ALL usenet data, are able to previews MP3s or movies on the fly to check the quality before downloading.
or you could browse the picture newsgroups with millions of thumbnails like you can do at guba.com, where they charge you $14.95 a month extra. with usenext these and many other features are included for free!
so for me it's a great ALL-IN-ONE tool, I don't need several tools and several websites to get to my usenet files - that's why I am trying to recommend usenext, also to you guys! I'm sure that you also would like it and would never touch old generation tools like newsbin pro or grab it again, if you would just take a quick look at it...
Slyder23

Postby NJAzrael » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:25 pm

Is it me or has Newshosting had a lot of issues lately? It seems like every two weeks there's some down time for some reason or another with issues repeating.

I've used Newshosting for a while now & would hate to leave but if the issues don't get resolved, I may not have a choice. According to their site, they had an issue in March & not another until November but have had several since that time.
NJAzrael

Postby SlyckScratch » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:23 pm

No Newshosting issues for me in the UK for many, many months and I use daily
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Signed up with Giganews

Postby sabremyth » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:46 pm

Hi peeps.
My first post. I have read through a lot of the forums for newsgroup articles. uptil recently i was only into text news which was provided free. I never considered binaries. But after reading through slyck forums i learned. Also after i checked the link provided elsewhere about comparisons of the variuos server I cheked out quite a few of the aforementioned ones. I finally gave it a shot at three of them and I instantly like Giganews. I searched for hard to find and mostly dead binaries. But i found all of them excepting one (which I suspected anyways). I opted for their unlimited plan which also gives you 10 simultaneous connections.
The site that listed the comparisons also got me a $5 off. so i had to pay $19 about. But I feel its worth it. In one day I have downloaded 20Gbs of binaries.

The only problem I faced is with speeds. The speed is great, dont get me wrong. I get 500KB/s download average. Sometimes better. But my max speed is 3MB/s.
This is due to the reason that all the giganews servers are located in U.S. or Europe and I am in singapore. So the hops are too high. I guess it is my ISP. But since I do not have to really worry about incompltete downloads this will do. The auto-recycle feature can be turned off. So I think its safe even if giganews drops out of radar sometime. But seeing that their customer support helped me figure out technicals in 10 mins response (as promised) I believe they are here to stay.
Maybe I am just patronizing to feel comfortable about my purchase :D. But I would like to know if anyone else has registered with giganews.

This is all just to the best of my limited knowledge and my personal experience. Please use your own judjement. As I see it. What works for one may not work for someone else.

Thank you slyck forum members for your great input. It helped me make a smart decision.
sabremyth

Guba

Postby popeye » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:22 pm

Why is Guba listed as one of the top usenet service here? When I check their website, they don't carry any useful binary newsgroups. :o
popeye

Re: Guba

Postby sabremyth » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:20 am

popeye wrote:Why is Guba listed as one of the top usenet service here? When I check their website, they don't carry any useful binary newsgroups. :o

Frankly.. whats Guba??? :-/
sabremyth

Postby ntscuser » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:45 am

I opted for Giganews (unlimited) after reading glowing testimonials in various forums. My only complaint is that the most popular DVD's stay on line for only a few days so go away for the weekend and you've missed them.

With hindsight I'd have signed up for a more limited service and then upgraded as and when I needed-to which is very easy to do with Giganews. Downgrading isn't quite so fast but the option is there if I ever need it.
ntscuser

PreviousNext

Return to NewsGroups