Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Best Usenet-provider

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby puzzlepants » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:08 pm

Oh now you're just making me feel bad :mrgreen:

At least when I'm downloading from Cox's newsgroup server I still have some bandwidth left over for IRC :)

I'm only running at 3mbit so I don't have tons of bandwidth...
puzzlepants

Postby johngalt » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:17 pm

My Comcast account advertises 3200Kbps - but that equates to 400KBps - and I have seen it sustain above that, so I think the speeds are increasing again.,....

Wish I lived in NY area - and had optimum....

8000Kbps downstream and 4000Kbps upstream - that upstream rocks....

I am I.
johngalt

Postby puzzlepants » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:06 pm

Apparently you can only upload to one unique IP at a time, so you could really only use it for certain purposes.

I would be pretty screwed with that because I host several different sites on my slow ass 30 KB/s upstream (even though I'm not supposed to :mrgreen: )

However, about my newsgroup server, I could get higher speeds if I wanted. There are 3 Cox servers that accept connections only from Cox IP addresses: one on the east coast, one in the central region, and one on the west coast. So, each server allows 4 * 50 KB/s each. So technically if my connection could sustain those speeds, I could be pulling at 600 KB/s.

It's not possible though, because of several different bottlenecks, partly Cox and partly my wireless network, etc etc.
puzzlepants

Postby johngalt » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:48 pm

Lol - Comcast supposedly has moved over to providing limited accounts through GigaNews (1 GB / month - Sheesh - I get that in a little over an hour). But I used to have Comcast previously, and it started wit RoadRunner, who was bought out by AT&T (actually ATTBI), who was bought out by Comcast.

The ATTBI servers are still up and running, even thought they said they were to be discontinued, and since I already knew from previous experience the server address I tried it when I got my cable back and sure enough it was still there :twisted:

And regarding the Optimum account - I have 3 1and1 accounts where I have 500 MB storage each and 5 GB traffic / month - I can do one at a time no problem, and not have to run the server on my own account for smaller files for friends - that would not faze me in the least.

I am I.
johngalt

Postby puzzlepants » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:52 am

8 threads though...damn

I'm only allowed 4 on each of Cox's 3 servers, and believe me it's a pain to connect to and download from servers not in my area (there's a central and a west one, and each is slower than the east one that I normally use)

Well, what do you plan to do when the old servers go out of commission?

(On a side note, I actually pulled 15 GB yesterday from a combo of newsgroups and IRC, a personal record)
puzzlepants

Postby johngalt » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:40 am

I will probably go back with GigaNews - though pricey, they have always served my interests well.

I am I.
johngalt

Postby markjd » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:45 am

I recently switched to the Giganews unlimited plan, and have been very pleased with the service. Completion and retention is out of this world and I can max out my connection using just one thread!
markjd

Postby muks2 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:44 am

[quote="EE2000"]
TitanNews - Great provider (but crappy webpage). Speed, Completion and retention are amazing. Cost is also one of the cheapest per GB of any provider. I bought a 100GB/year block which is cheap for a main provider or to be used as a back up to an unlimited provider. If they had a web interface and a better webpage they would be the best.
Overall: A[/quote]

TitanNews is newshosting reseller.
muks2

gdfg

Postby hatr3d » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:34 pm

Id say newshosting is the best. At $14 a month I get unlimited downloads and it usually maxes out my connection speed, and they are improving the retention, 19 days on unlimited is great!
dc++/mirc/bittorrent/usenet user
hatr3d

Postby johngalt » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:54 pm

EE2000 wrote:TitanNews - Great provider (but crappy webpage). Speed, Completion and retention are amazing. Cost is also one of the cheapest per GB of any provider. I bought a 100GB/year block which is cheap for a main provider or to be used as a back up to an unlimited provider. If they had a web interface and a better webpage they would be the best.
Overall: A

I'd go through that in under 2 months. Seriously.

I am at over 100 GB d/l'd with Cable since I got it back, and I have well over 50 CDs waiting to be burned....if I burn them at all...

Daemon Toolz is a wonderful thing

I am I.
johngalt

Newsgroupdirect.com

Postby hapworth » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:35 pm

A week or so back, RedEyes (a newbie to the forum, I think) asked about Newsgroupdirect.com. The web site looked professional, the metered plans dirt cheap (1 gig per day/$7.95 per month, 3 gigs per day/$11.95 per month, etc.), and I encouraged RedEyes to spend his hard-earned money to try the provider out and report back. :-)

Okay, so RedEyes didn't try out the service, but I have. I signed up for the 1 gig per day/$7.95 plan. I currently have Newshosting's unlimited plan for $15 per month, but I don't download enough to take advantage of this plan, and to be honest, the seven dollars savings per month helps. So far, newsgroupdirect.com works well. Speed fluctuates a tad, but not as bad as Usenetserver. Completion looks solid, and the web site boasts 23 days retention for binary files.

I'll obviously report back after a longer trial, but for those looking for non-unlimited plans that give you more than the standard (and expensive) 10gigs per month for $10 deal, you might want to give newsgroupdirect a look-see. I think newsgroupdirect resells Newsguy, because when I tried to download an incomplete file (which was also incomplete for Newshosting), the error message in NZB-O-Matic mentioned something about Newsguy. Not sure if that represented my server or the other end where the file was. My guess is that newsgroupdirect resells somebody.

Again, I'll report back. Hope this helps.

Hapworth 16, 1924
hapworth

Postby djrizki » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:58 am

this is my 2nd day with newsgroupdirect
Are they refunding your money if you canceled the membership ?

I took the 10 gigs plan, and it seems like that didnt do me good enough as in my 2nd day i am "blocked" cant download nothing probably because i over the limit, maybe i shouldnt signed up with them at all the reason why cause they the only services offered payment besides credit card ( which i dont have )

So any of you guys know any other services that offered unlimited plan and good retentions ( price is no subject)THAT offered payment BESIDES credit card ? ( echeck perhaps or something like that ? anything besides credit card)
djrizki

Postby hapworth » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:37 pm

Djrizki,

As I noted in my review, newsgroupdirect is an option for those who don't need unlimited. Some people don't download 1 gig (or more) per day and want more options. Thus, newsgroupdirect is a good choice. You pay a very low price for a certain amount of gigs per day. They do not offer unlimited plans, though. If you want unlimited, I recommend newshosting.com at $15 (US dollars) per month. I also have a newshosting account and they are very, very reliable.

Hapworth 16, 1924
hapworth

Postby djrizki » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:45 pm

yes i checked both giganews and newshosting, both can only accept credit cards payment bah T_T
djrizki

Postby johngalt » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:29 am

if a site has a retention greater than 14 days, WTH do you need to download *everything* in one day?

If you break 3 GB a day (meaning you do over 90 a month) then you might need an unlimited plan - if not, then why not queue up your downloads and download only the oldest things there in the first place?

I venture that *MOST* people do not need unlimited downloads and only get them to one-up their neighbors. I have yet to meet more than a handful (I can count on 10 fingers with 4 to spare) people who download more than I do - and I use my ISP b/c I can check on a daily basis, and because I realize that almost every good apps out there will be posted more than once - and people will respond to requests when needed.

If you are downloading videos / movies, however, I can see where this can be a problem, but as I do not download movies all that much, all I can say is you need to reign in your downloading scheme a bit - downloading 3 movies per day and watching them all is rather absurd in my opinion - surely you cannot like movies *THAT* much. Of course if you do like them that much, at the very least make sure you are downloading things that you actually *WANT* to watch, and not just because it is there to be downloaded.

I am I.
johngalt

Postby djrizki » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:40 am

yes yes,
as you can guess i do download a lot of movies mostly anime dvd volume series which one volume over 4 gig a pop and as you can see 3gb per day wont do me
djrizki

Postby johngalt » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:53 am

figured as much - at least you have one of the few excuses that I have heard of that can support their 'habit' - anime collectors know what they want, and there is a lot out there.

I do know that with PayPal accounts you can open the account and such with money orders and replenish you accounts with other forms of money than credit cards, and you can also request a Credit card from PayPal based upon your account....

HTH

I am I.
johngalt

Postby djrizki » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:26 pm

johngalt:

u happened to know these sites that accept paypal or any other form of payments?
djrizki

Postby cacahead » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:06 pm

Newshosting just went up to 24 days retention for their unlimited accounts. Thats the highest out I believe (for unlimited accounts). If your not already combining newzbin.com with your usenet, you should give it a try. saves alot of time from downloading headers. You just click on what you want it will download the .nzb file. From there your usenet app (newsleecher, newsbin, ...) should start getting the file. Something so simple, even I can get it.
I have had newshosting since they have done the unlimited plan (4 months or so i think) and have been very pleased.
If you want a list/rating of alot of the news servers out there try http://www.newsgroupservers.net/
If you have any other questions, just pm me.
cacahead

Postby djrizki » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:25 pm

and i dont think newshosting accepted payment other than credit card :(
djrizki

Postby rvdmark » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:54 pm

If you don't mind paying a little more, Giganews unlimited plan can't be beat. I used usenetserver for a long time and loved it, but it's nothing compared to giganews. For 24.99 you can max your connection out on one connection and downloading headers, something alot of newsservers can't do. But the best thing, 40+ days retention in even the biggest groups, more than that in smaller groups.
rvdmark

Postby Ultradogg » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:15 pm

Anyone tried http://www.airnews.net/#p2 I have ntls 300mb/month broadband and thought that there $9.95/mth plan might be best for me or would I be better off with newshosting unlimited??
Ultradogg

Postby cacahead » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:37 pm

You can check here http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=2
Alot of them dont have reviews, but if more people would rate the servers they use/used, it would be alot better.
Or try http://www.newsgroupservers.net/ for a list that they try to update weekly.
Personally I go with Newshosting unlimited and Newzbin.com (so I dont have to get headers).
cacahead

Postby jp22382 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:23 am

http://www.newshosting.com - $15/month unlimited, 25 day retention.

http://www.newzbin.com - 50 cents/week, makes everything soooo much easier. Sign up and mess with some of the account options, you'll agree. :wink:

So basically I shell out $17 a month and get everything I want, no complaints from me.
jp22382

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:11 am

jp22382 wrote:http://www.newshosting.com - $15/month unlimited, 25 day retention.

http://www.newzbin.com - 50 cents/week, makes everything soooo much easier. Sign up and mess with some of the account options, you'll agree. :wink:

So basically I shell out $17 a month and get everything I want, no complaints from me.

Same here. A perfect combination IMO! :D
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

PreviousNext

Return to NewsGroups