Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Best Usenet-provider

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Best Usenet-provider

Postby UsenetN00b » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:00 am

What's the best usenet provider?
I'm thinking about trying http://www.usenetnewserver.com - have any of you tried them? Are they good or bad?

Who do you think are best?

The UsenetN00b :oops:
UsenetN00b

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:55 am

I signed up with them yesterday and had good speeds and completion all night and today but for some reason it has slowed right down now. They have a 3 day refund policy so if it doesn't clear up I am going to change.

Postby jmorlan » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:17 pm

I wouldn't use UsenetServer if they paid me. In fact, I've used their free service and they even messed that up, changing the IP of their free server to 127.0.0.1. That made one holy mess of my local News Proxy and put it into an endless loop. They don't know how to keep a news server running properly for more than a few weeks.

If you're shopping for a premium news server, I strongly suggest taking the time to read this first:

http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/pro ... pping.html

In my opinion these are five of the best assuming you are interested in binaries. These are all professionally run, premium servers with excellent completion and reliability.

EasyNews - Longest retention of any; and their unique web interface search engine makes it easy to find any file you want. My first choice.

SuperNews - Excellent spam filtering.

GigaNews - Excellent overall.

NewsReader.com - My choice for a well-run economy service. Not the retention of the others, but otherwise first rate and reliable.

Newshosting.com - Quite reliable and economical.

There may be other good ones out there, but IMO you won't go wrong with any one of those five. The ones that brag and have heavy advertising or offer cut-rate prices are usually not worth the trouble they cause.
jmorlan

Postby waylander » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:11 pm

im about 17 days or so from the end of usenetservers 3 month introduction, i wont be staying with them after the recent badness
waylander

newsgroups

Postby pete » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:27 pm

I use grabit for music and anything else, top class
pete

Postby ee2000 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:08 pm

Grabit is a great binary downloader, and my current favorite (better than Agent and Xnews in my opinion)

Giganews has great completion and really good retention. With their new pricing they are very competative and now a better value that Easynews. But easynews does have a web interface which is nice.

I've currently got Usenetserver and giganews. Usenetserver is ok, as long as you have another provider to complete downloads. I've heard lots of good things about Astraweb (another unlimited newsgroup provider)
ee2000

A great provider review site...

Postby Tybo » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:53 am

Here's a great site that reviews all the providers and lines up the assets and prices of each so you can compare and contrast at a glance:

http://www.usenet-provider.com/

I found this site after I took a long time making a list of my own of like, 20 providers I looked up myself- needless to say, I was pissed.
Tybo

By The Way...

Postby Tybo » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:03 am

Here's the list I made myself. It's got the cheapest prices only, since I'm such a cheap bastitch, and wherever I could find it on the individual sites, I note if they auto-charge your credit card (I hate that shite). I don't note the text-only prices, since that isn't a priority for me... P.S. note I got this list from the suggested newsgroups tutorial of this website:
(http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=2)

Hope this helps!

100 proof news: 8.95/mo
1usenet.com: 100MB/day- $3.95/ mo, 250 MB/day- $5.95/mo
Air News: 150K bits/sec, unlimited bytes/day- $9.95/mo
Alibis.com: 500M/day/server(18 servers)- $18.95/mo
Altopia: partial news acces, 32K BPS- $6/mo (NNTP)
AnonymousNewsFeed: (anon/uncensored) full acces $15.95/mo
BargainNewsFeeds: full access $14.95/mo
BillyNews: ??
EasyNews: $9.98 for 6GB or 30 days, whichever comes first(no rate limits)
Eternews: ??
Giganews: 10GB/mo- $11.99/mo
Green Net: Single user conn. 7.50/mo, billed quarterly(setup $10)
InforNews: 1.25GB/day D/L- $8.30/mo
Mammoth News: 2 servers- 1 uncensored(no limitations whatsoever), and 1 binaries only@500MB/day- $9.95/mo (auto renew)
MegaNet News: 250MB/day $7.95, 500MB/day $9.95
MoreNewsGroups: 50MB/day/server(4)- $9.00
NewsScene: 5 G/mo- $12.99 (autorenew)
NewsFeeds.com: 750MB/day- $9.95
NewsGuy: 100MB/mo- $5.95, 500MB/mo- $12.95 (autorenew)
NewsReader: 50GB/mo- $9.95
NNTP Servers: 250MB/day- $4.95/mo, 500MB/day- $6.95/mo
Premium Usenet: Discontinued
Randori News: 500MB/day- $6.95/mo, 1G/day- $8.95/mo, unlimited- $11.95/mo (autorenew)
Supernews: 3G/mo- $5.95, 10G/mo- $10.95
The Barditch News Server: 4G/mo- $15 (autorenew)
The Newsgroups: 500MB/day- $8.95/mo(credit card only price)
UseNetPlanet: 350MB/day- $9.95/mo(autorenew)
UseNetAccess: 500MB/day- $6/mo
Usenet.com: 1G/day- $9.95/mo
UseNetServer: unlimited- $14.95/mo, unlimited dial-up conn- $5.95/mo
Tybo

Postby ee2000 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:25 pm

Another good link
http://www.newsgroupservers.net/[/url]
ee2000

Postby guest 1337 » Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:16 pm

the best newsgroup service provider is my local internet provider.
guest 1337

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:13 pm

I have a friend who uses 1usenet and he says its really good. It maxes out his connection, and is uncensored.
The only downside is hes only limited to 700 megs a day. the 2.95 deal is only for like 200 megs a day or something. 700 megs is 7.95 a month i believe. Just my two cents, ciao

1usenet

Postby none » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am

i just cancelled my subscription to 1usenet. there completion was bad for me, in both the warez.games groups, and a specific movie group. i missed 2 games i wanted, and 3 videos.....so that was the end of that. no point having a service that doesnt give you want you actually want. there group list is very good. speed is very good too. if you want usenet for pictures or small files, then its good. but you want games and videos....look elsewhere.
none

heres another thing

Postby none » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:38 am

i have a new account with athenanews.com. i get a 2 gig (actually 2.4) a day limit for $9.99. thats a gig more than my 1usenet account, for $8 less!
the have every group that i was subscribed too with 1usenet too. i think they do a 1 gig a day account for $6, which is outstanding.
none

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:58 pm

news.astraweb.com
Pricing Plans:

Unlimited $10/Month

Unlimited DSL $15/Month

25 GB $10

65 GB $25

280 GB $100

Postby RT » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:10 am

ee2000 wrote:Another good link
http://www.newsgroupservers.net/

Thanks for this link - it was the best ranking of usenetservers I've seen.

/RT
RT

Postby Nuub » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:28 pm

Do these X Gigs/day services stack over time? Like suppose I don't download for 5 days on a 2gig/day service, could I then go on a binge and download 10gigs in 1 night?
Nuub

athena news

Postby none » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:12 am

that account i got with athenanews sucked. there completion is terrible. ive signed up now with giganews. hopefully i can actually get what i want now. id love to know how people get on with hteir providers. i used to get annoyed at roadrunners usenet service, but it was free, and a lot better than the 2 that ive been paying for :o| anyone using astraweb, post up here how it is for speed/completion and retention for the big turnover groups, please.
none

Postby dubbibidy » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:18 pm

Do any of these places allow payment through PayPal.Thanks.
dubbibidy

I like Newsfeeds.com

Postby Guest1 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:40 pm

I've been with Newsfeeds.com for over a year now and it is quite good. Their servers are rarely down and when it happens, their tech support is great. They have many servers to pick from as well. Quite happy with them so far.
Guest1

Postby Andy L » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:35 am

I've been on GigaNews for the last four months now, and I would wholeheartedly recommend them.

I'm paying $12 a month for 10 gigs, which might be expensive compared to other providers (I wouldn't know, I've never used anyone else), but the completion rates are excellent, and multipart binary posts are retained for 10 days. The speed is good too.
Last edited by Andy L on Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy L

gdddgdf

Postby gfgff » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:56 pm

I have an unlimited account with astraweb. The retention and speed are great, but completion sucks. You wil be asking for a lot of fills.
gfgff

The Best news group provider

Postby Bigdave » Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:58 pm

I have been using the newsgroups for over a decade now and the best i have found so far is easynews. $9.98 for up to 6 gig of download
they have about the highest retention and completion ratios of any of the servers out there. Three years ago when i was still on dialup my ISP used usenetserver as their provider and I had nothing but problems with them. if you want to see how bad they are they actually have a support group in the news groups and you will see nothing but complaints in there.
check out the news group usenetserver.support
you will see just how bad they still are.
Bigdave

Re: The Best news group provider

Postby muldoon » Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:07 pm

The one thing I've noticed when speaking about Easynews is how great their completion rate is, and how superior their retention time is compared to everyone else. However, the one thing I never notice anyone speak about is their web interface.

Not only does it make surfing Usenet easier for the newbies, it also allows them to create what I think is the best idea since buttered toast. The Global Search allows people to search for files within all the newsgroups without having to view every single file. Even if you don't use the web interface this still is a handy tool to search for what you want.

I think this is the main reason why I'm an Easynews subscriber and will be for a while. :)
muldoon

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:00 pm

do yourselves a favor and check out newshosting...reasonable pay plans from $1 to less than $.50 cents a gb, excellent speed and retention. way better deal IMO than easynews any day.

http://www.newshosting.com/

Postby muldoon » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:31 am

I completely disagree. Easynews is about quality, not quanitity. Completion rates are the highest in the business and the length of retention are next to no other competitors. Not to mention all the extras Easynews has.

Anonymous wrote:do yourselves a favor and check out newshosting...reasonable pay plans from $1 to less than $.50 cents a gb, excellent speed and retention. way better deal IMO than easynews any day.

http://www.newshosting.com/
muldoon

Next

Return to NewsGroups