Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Cox Newsgroup Support

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby LANjackal » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:05 pm

keypox wrote:i am using alt.binaries.nl ok i have looked for the option though i cna't find it it really sucks :( cause i gotta manually do each one cause even clicking multiple pars and creating nzb only gives me one

One of what?

You can download things in two ways at alt.binaries.nl

1 - Click the "NZB" link to the left of the item you want. If this is what you're doing, it will generate an NZB for that item ONLY, no matter what else you selected.

2 - Click "ADD" link to the left of each item you want. This will add the item to your queue, which will appear in a floating Web 2.0 box. If you close the box, you can view it again at any time by clicking "show queue" at the top right corner of the results listing. When you've queued up all you want, select "create" at the bottom of the queue. This will generate an NZB containing all the files you want.

I recommend method #2 of the above. Try that, you should get the PAR files.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby keypox » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:48 pm

removed wrote:Interesting fact about cox, they host http://www.godhatesamerica.com amongst their websites and despite their acceptable use policy don't take it down, yet they will send you naughty letters through the post if you have been downloading something you shouldn't....

How's that for a screwed up company...

they send letters? I have a free internet pack with my apt and have had it canceled twice but no letters :(

do they monitor the newsgroups?
keypox

Postby LANjackal » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:04 pm

keypox wrote:they send letters? I have a free internet pack with my apt and have had it canceled twice but no letters :(

How'd you get it cancelled?

Define "monitor". They'll adjust your download speed to prevent hogging (since the service is kind of "free"), but otherwise they really don't care. Look at it this way: if they really cared about people downloading copyrighted material via usenet, they wouldn't be offering access to obviously named binary newsgroups with way over a month's retention in the first place.

In fact, I daresay that one of the reasons they outsource their usenet service is so they can claim functional ignorance of user activity in case some enforcement entity tries to file a lawsuit.

Nothing to worry about. Focus on fixing your issue with the NZBs an PARs and tell me how it goes.
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby keypox » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:41 pm

LANjackal wrote:
keypox wrote:they send letters? I have a free internet pack with my apt and have had it canceled twice but no letters :(

How'd you get it cancelled?

Define "monitor". They'll adjust your download speed to prevent hogging (since the service is kind of "free"), but otherwise they really don't care. Look at it this way: if they really cared about people downloading copyrighted material via usenet, they wouldn't be offering access to obviously named binary newsgroups with way over a month's retention in the first place.

In fact, I daresay that one of the reasons they outsource their usenet service is so they can claim functional ignorance of user activity in case some enforcement entity tries to file a lawsuit.

Nothing to worry about. Focus on fixing your issue with the NZBs an PARs and tell me how it goes.

lol yeah i got busted twice d/l ps2 games from a bit torrent and they banned me and i had to goto the office and have the manager call and get it back on... live in an apt where they supply the internet but they put it in the managers name :roll: kinda sucks but what can i do its free lol

Ok i will try that way but i do it the number 1 way and it loads everything but the pars :( it must be something to do with newsbin i will try 2nd way and another program soon gotta goto bed now got class early :(

Edit another problem is i mostly use binsearch could this be the problem? Alt.bin.nl.v2 doesnt put all the files as one kinda funky
keypox

Postby LANjackal » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:13 am

keypox wrote:Ok i will try that way but i do it the number 1 way and it loads everything but the pars :( it must be something to do with newsbin i will try 2nd way and another program soon gotta goto bed now got class early :(

Ummmm... if you read what I said you see I recommend method #2. So if #1 doesn't work, that's not that surprising is it?

keypox wrote:Edit another problem is i mostly use binsearch could this be the problem? Alt.bin.nl.v2 doesnt put all the files as one kinda funky

Dude... are you drunk or high? Seriously. Alt.binaries.nl can output all selected files as a single NZB. Did you even read what I wrote?
LANjackal

Postby keypox » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:06 pm

LANjackal wrote:
keypox wrote:Ok i will try that way but i do it the number 1 way and it loads everything but the pars :( it must be something to do with newsbin i will try 2nd way and another program soon gotta goto bed now got class early :(

Ummmm... if you read what I said you see I recommend method #2. So if #1 doesn't work, that's not that surprising is it?

keypox wrote:Edit another problem is i mostly use binsearch could this be the problem? Alt.bin.nl.v2 doesnt put all the files as one kinda funky

Dude... are you drunk or high? Seriously. Alt.binaries.nl can output all selected files as a single NZB. Did you even read what I wrote?

LOL no i not drunk/high ... lol i meant the format in which alt.bin.nl displays the searched files doesnt compress them all down to one post....

IE http://www.binaries.nl/search.html?q=smack

compared to http://www.binsearch.info/?q=smake&max= ... =7&server=

notice one post will list multiple files ?

Anyways i still havent had a chance to use another program will soon though thanks for the help
keypox

Postby keypox » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:43 pm

is it still possible to use multiple cox servers such as east and west ??? Mine doesnt will only give me 3 connections
keypox

Postby keypox » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:15 am

bump am i doing something wrong i set it up to use news.cox.west.net and cox.east.net but only 4 get connections ... edit from above i put 3

the other four say to many connections any way to still connect 200kB is to slow when i could get 400 :)

found this on faq :( Previously I was able to use more then one newsgroup server for a total of eight or twelve connections to each server.

It has always been our policy to support four (4) connections to our newsgroup service and supporting more was never an official part of the service offering.

sucks
keypox

Postby LANjackal » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:30 am

Yeah there's bandwidth and connection ceiling. I still enable 4 connections for each server to allow flexibility - I can use all my connections for any server at any time depending on what KLibido (my news client) or Cox's servers decide.

But why complain - I don't think there's any other ISP that offers that length of binary retention for free. The best way to use Cox news servers is to do your NZB shopping right before bed. Your files will be there eventually.
LANjackal

Postby Meurgly » Wed May 16, 2007 8:00 pm

Shhhhhhhhhh....

I am getting 8 simultaneous connections from Cox, totaling 350-450 KB/s.(4 east & 4 west)
At the same time.

Mistake, or did they expand it?

Don't tell anyone.

Update:

Well, that didn't last long(it only lasted one day).

Nevermind...
Last edited by Meurgly on Thu May 17, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meurgly

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed May 16, 2007 8:15 pm

FIGHT CLUB!

:oops:
MrFredPFL

Postby LANjackal » Wed May 16, 2007 8:31 pm

Meurgly wrote:Shhhhhhhhhh....

I am getting 8 simultaneous connections from Cox, totaling 350-450 KB/s.(4 east & 4 west)
At the same time.

Mistake, or did they expand it?

Don't tell anyone.

There's been a buzz over at broadbandreports.com about a significant Cox speed increase in general (funny how those always seem to miss my account though ;)). Could be that...
LANjackal

Re: Cox Newsgroup Support

Postby Deadman36g » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:54 am

Hello guys,

Sorry if this is an old thread, but I am curious if the cox newsgroups still work? I am in Arkansas so I am trying to connect to news.west.cox.net (using Outlook Express) but I am not having any luck. Perhaps is there someone here who could give me some pointers?
Deadman36g

Postby TorrentMama » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:47 am

cox newsgroups are still working. I'm using news.east.cox.net, news.west.cox.net, newsbeta.east.cox.net, newsbeta.west.cox.net. There are many reasons of which I am too lazy to go into here, but trust me, don't use outlook for any reason. :tinfoilhat:

give Alt.Binz a whirl. it's easy to set up and you'll be happily downloading in no time.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby LANjackal » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:48 pm

news.central.cox.net also works too :).

@Torrentmama: do you get simultaneous connections from the beta and current servers (e.g. the East Beta AND the East server)? IIRC they both point to the same servers, so you're still limited to the maximum 4 connections for all servers in a certain region (East, West, Central) even if you use both.
LANjackal

Postby silesiaster » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:23 pm

I can connect but it says I'm downloading but nothing is happen. Should I use ISP cox or can I use it from any ISP?

greetings
silesiaster

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:29 pm

any ISP that offers free newsgroups access to its users does so only from one of their own IP addresses, i would think. this is a free service they offer to their own customers. if it worked from any IP address, they would be providing that free service to the entire world. the only way they can tell if you're a customer of theirs is by checking your IP address. so YES, you should access it from a cox connection.
MrFredPFL

Postby LANjackal » Wed May 27, 2009 4:05 pm

Anyone know what happened to the Cox News server status page at http://newsfeeds.cox.net? Seems to have vanished. Thanks!
LANjackal

Previous

Return to NewsGroups