Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

What to Expect from the Super Blood Wolf Moon Eclipse

Discuss the latest news about space, the natural World, energy, green issues and more. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

What to Expect from the Super Blood Wolf Moon Eclipse

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:44 am

Story : https://www.livescience.com/64550-super-blood-wolf-moon-eclipse.html

Call in late to work on Monday (Jan. 21) and prepare to spend Sunday night staring at the sky: The Super Blood Wolf Moon eclipse is coming.

That's a mouthful, but let's break it down. January's full moon is a supermoon, meaning that the moon is at the point in its orbit where it is nearest to Earth. This is called perigee. The average distance from Earth to the moon is 238,855 miles (384,400 kilometers). At perigee this January, the distance will shrink to 222,043 miles (357,344 km). At the moon's next apogee in February, when the moon is farthest from Earth, it will be 252,622 miles (406,555 km) away from Earth.

Practically speaking, perigee is hard to detect with the naked eye. As the editor of Sky & Telescope magazine Alan MacRobert noted in advance of a 2016 supermoon, the moon looks about 25 percent brighter and around 15 percent greater in area at perigee — "not enough to notice unless you're a very careful moon-watcher," he said. [Here's How to Watch Sunday's Lunar Eclipse]

The "wolf" part of this month's moon moniker is simply a reference to the month of January. According to the Farmers' Almanac, each month's full moon has a name, supposedly cobbled together from traditional Native American or old Anglo-Saxon names. No one knows the precise origin of "wolf moon," but that's the name typically assigned to January

MrFredPFL

Re: What to Expect from the Super Blood Wolf Moon Eclipse

Postby leoleus19 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:58 pm

I haven't seen this because I forgot to look outside but I've seen tons of photos from social media that captures the beauty of the moon.
leoleus19

Return to Science News