Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

What Warner Bros.’ 8-Week DVD Window Really Means

News about the world of entertainment. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

What Warner Bros.’ 8-Week DVD Window Really Means

Postby sunnyd » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:30 pm

Story : http://gigaom.com/video/warner-bros-8-week-dvd-window/

Warner Bros. is doubling the amount of time that it asks DVD rental firms to wait between the day that DVD and Blu-Ray discs go on sale to the general public. Now those companies, which include Netflix, Redbox and Blockbuster are faced with a choice: They can wait eight weeks and purchase discs at a steep discount from the studio itself, or they can find alternative sources for those discs and pay considerably more to have them available on the same day and date that DVDs can be purchased by consumers.

The reaction from the industry follows a change around working with studios to provide content that can be rented out to consumers. Originally, video rental outlets operated by purchasing VHS cassettes - and later DVDs - from wholesale suppliers and then making them available for a nightly fee to their customers. But over the years, as the industry matured, both the studios and the rental chains themselves determined they could operate more profitably by cutting out the middle man and sourcing copies directly from the source.

Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: What Warner Bros.’ 8-Week DVD Window Really Means

Postby zbeast » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:24 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I go out to a lot of moves.
So if it's a hot film I've already seen it. So won't notice any type of "delay".
Also movies spend so little time on the big screen these day's. They often go from the screen to dvd to the
bargain bin before I even relies the movie has come out.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Return to Entertainment News