Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

How to find & join private hubs?

Discussion about the DirectConnect program and network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

How to find & join private hubs?

Postby wooder » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:08 am

Forgive me for asking the dumbest question ever--I won't be surprised if this thread is ignored, deleted, locked, or defecated upon. But I thought it was worth a shot.

I keep hearing that private DC hubs are a good means of P2P with low risk of getting caught. But how am I to find and join them? Please don't tell me I "just need to know" someone.

I'd be happy to do whatever they want me to do in order to demonstrate that I'm interested in sharing a large volume of pertinenet material, and that I'm not an industry spy. And I can take incoming connections--"active mode".
wooder

Postby wimpie-nl » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:58 pm

:roll:
don't tell me I "just need to know"

this is just what can be the answer number 1..

answer 2 is you run into a private hub on a forum/website where the run a hub for their members.
all depending on the interest of such community.

not much use for you, but reson they are private is they want to be safe, don't get bad members and don't get caught..
wimpie-nl

Postby TDO » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:15 pm

In short - they don't want to be found ..
TDO

Postby juno660 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:15 pm

Ive found a few by just going in public hubs and having a big, well organized share. Talking to and helping people (especially op's) is also helpful. Eventually, they may give you the addresses of some other hubs.
DC++: your files, your ways, no limits
juno660

Postby Paradigm » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:09 pm

the last post is the closest to the mark..said hubs find you, you don't find them...
Paradigm

Postby Chantalz » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:25 pm

I agree with the above. I've always been found, but to do so you must be active in the hub community. It's almost like looking for work...if you knock on doors politely and just make yourself known, sometimes you get lucky. (by this I don't mean walking up to people you don't know and saying please help me find what I want - that is as silly as walking up to a stranger on the street and asking for a help) It takes time, and many of us are impatient (or in my case super busy with a toddler!). Being there for people goes a long way, making your files available and offering help to new people.

How I did it was by going through hublists and finding public sites I loved. I remained on there even when I wasn't downloading so members got to know my name, I became someone familiar rather than someone who just comes in, takes an episode or book and leaves. Long-time users downloaded from me, and I stayed online so that they could complete their downloads.

Eventually, I got bold and asked a few people who had downloaded from me and obviously were power users (given the many 100s of GB of material they had) where they obtained their wonderful library of material. I'd ask if they might mind redirecting me to some of their favourite sites. Some didn't reply, as was their right. Others were friendly and would at least take the time to reply. I'd also offer to provide some of the great sites I'd also found (although beware - mentioning some sites by name on hubs can get you banned since they don't like being discussed by name). Once you're a member, you can often 'trade' information as you would files.

Some people became my friends, they provided me with tons of wonderful sites. It does, however, usually take a bit of effort, but the great hubs and people you meet along the way make it worth the while.

c
PS I realize this post is old, but the information is still useful for people. :)
Chantalz

Postby P2P_G » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:43 pm

You can join: gfh.ath.cx:1411

Its going to be a private hub soon! :D it just needs more users. :wink:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby Fartingbob » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:46 pm

This isnt a thread to spam public DC hubs P2PG.
Anyway, share lots of good stuff in hubs that follow the same interests as you would like in a private hub (Tv eps, movies, rock albums etc etc), you'll fiond many people in there will know of some private hubs and if you show you would be a benefit to them, then you might get invited to join in.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby P2P_G » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:55 pm

Fartingbob wrote:This isnt a thread to spam public DC hubs P2PG.

So you don't like that people on slyck(LaX, Charlie, me and more) a making a DC hub for the people on slyck most? Charlies hub is very good[needs a lot more users though]. Anyway i just wanted to say that our hub is going to be private soon, lol and why don't you like the advertisment with this hub, you are in it too sometimes :lol:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby CrackHead » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:49 am

I run a forum and might be able to send a few people your way. :)
CrackHead

Return to DirectConnect