Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

DC++ hangs up/crash when loading a big filelist

Discussion about the DirectConnect program and network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

DC++ hangs up/crash when loading a big filelist

Postby Kloppstock » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:15 am

A pretty long period this has disturbed me now, its time to act, when i try to download a big filelist (possible from one of thoose user who share 10000 songs) when the download is on 100 % and its right on the way to open up the browse window, DC++ allways hangs up with a totally white-crash-screen, and that never release that it somethimes can do, so you must kill the procces

I currentley use latest DCPlusPlus-0.707, i have been hanging around with DC++ since 2003, and i have never changed the directory folder, i have let it update the folder when new versions arrive, and i have incompletes from many years still in the interface, some would say i have many :lookup:
Could that be a factor? i guess overall the chances to get ridd of this would increase if i started with a fresh installation with latest version only, but i wanna avoid it if i can, since i have lived like this for years :nopity:

Could hopefully be some inprogram settings just? :popcorn:

No! i dont wanna change to Fuldc or any other client to get rid of this :twisted:
any ideas?

Win XP SP 3
Pentium 4.2 Gz
2 Gb ram
Kloppstock

Re: DC++ hangs up/crash when loading a big filelist

Postby Golgo1 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:02 am

I would bet that is a GUI and memory problem.

the app is reading the big list and holding it in an array, or file or somewhere. When the list is all done, it tries to put it up to the user. In DC I believe I remember it being a listbox control. The problem is that with a ver large list, that can take quite a while to fill, and the coding probably doenst account for that. It is probably just told to loop until the list is done.

This is a problem because nothing else can happen until the list is finished, that includes repainting the window to the screen. That is why it all goes white, the program is too busy to tell the screen what to display.
Along with that, if you have a VERY large list, the listbox can cause some problems. the app may just plain hang because it gets stuck in the loop, it may just finish the loop, but take a VERY long time.
I dont know the exact point it becomes a problem, or exactly what it will do. It has alot to do with how much memory you have.
The whole issue could be fixed in coding by having a max number of item, or limit the items based on free memory. If there is any sort of setting in DC (havnt used in it years) that will set a max of items to show, you could try a safe number and work up from there.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:55 pm

dayum, golgo! i never pictured you as a closet programmer ;)

:toast:
MrFredPFL

Postby Kloppstock » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:47 pm

Perhaps it was a good idea by you to make me look into settings

theres a setting now called "open filelists in background" among some other small changes
i atleast succeded to download and view one mastodont file list :howdy:
we let this thread rest a bit for now, but dont forgett it

thank you
Kloppstock

Return to DirectConnect