Slyck.com
 
Slyck Chatbox - And More

multisource downloading

Discussion about the DirectConnect program and network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

multisource downloading

Postby honz318712 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:51 pm

I am interested in setting up a private DC hub for myself and some friends.. something in the range of 5 to 20 users at any given time. I’ve been doing some reading on dcpp.net, and I found this:

Segmented (aka multisource) downloading. While it is currently not officially implemented, now there is a safe way to implement downloading files from multiple sources. All clients at this point have been implementing segmented downloading in cowboy fashion. They do not verify the files are the same (except for the size and partial name) which can result in corrupt files. A file hash ensures the files are identical.


In order for my small network to function efficiently, I would think that multisource downloading is a must. This way, as people download file, they also share the incomplete pieces of the file they have, like bit torrent does.

I do not understand what the quote means above. Does “cowboy fashion” mean it is currently implemented, or only implemented on certain clients? Or is it up to the DC hub to enable this feature? Which DC client do you think would be best suited to my small network?

Needless to say, I’m a DC newbie. Is their separate software I would need to setup to operate a hub, in addition to running a client to share files?
User avatar
honz318712
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Re: multisource downloading

Postby LANjackal » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:41 am

honz318712 wrote:I do not understand what the quote means above. Does “cowboy fashion” mean it is currently implemented, or only implemented on certain clients? Or is it up to the DC hub to enable this feature? Which DC client do you think would be best suited to my small network?

Needless to say, I’m a DC newbie. Is their separate software I would need to setup to operate a hub, in addition to running a client to share files?


"cowboy fashion" = without any common standard.

Your best bet is to use DC++ - it's the leading client for the protocol.

And that's the extent of my DC knowledge ;)
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
User avatar
LANjackal
 
Posts: 5895
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby king8654 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:32 am

Alrighty m8, from the start:

I run a 1000+ person DC++ hub, on a LAN at my univ during the year.

Multisource downloading resembles BT as in you can download one file off 10 people who have it, downloading 10 different parts at the same time.

Peerweb used to have an excellent multisource system, but with the canceling of that, i believe once apex dc++ comes out, it will be far improved.

If you ever need help setting up or some questions, PM me.
User avatar
king8654
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:56 am

Postby king8654 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:33 am

Ynhub is the best bet for any windows based Hub.

Google that.

:twisted:

edit: Only some clients support it.
User avatar
king8654
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:56 am

Postby Trev0r269 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:57 am

Peerweb DC++ has amultisource downloading system and the ability to share partial files. I'm not sure if StrongDC has the latter. I think having your friends use either one of these clients should do the job.
Trev0r269
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Slow - hio

Postby honz318712 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:19 am

Thank you all 4 the great responses.

So I take it that DC++ has not actually implemented multisource downloading in their official client. I'm assuming this because they don't specificially mention the feature as being active..? I would have to use another client which has implemented this feature in "cowboy fashion."

Also, from your responses, I would think that the hub software does not affect the multisource downloading feature as long as all the clients support it.. Ynhub seems to be the best option for newbies, so I'll prob be going with that...
User avatar
honz318712
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Postby Trev0r269 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:41 pm

honz318712 wrote:Thank you all 4 the great responses.

So I take it that DC++ has not actually implemented multisource downloading in their official client. I'm assuming this because they don't specificially mention the feature as being active..? I would have to use another client which has implemented this feature in "cowboy fashion."

Also, from your responses, I would think that the hub software does not affect the multisource downloading feature as long as all the clients support it.. Ynhub seems to be the best option for newbies, so I'll prob be going with that...


DC++ has not implemented multisource downloading because there is an argument that this method of downloading files is rough on the servers and it creates extra traffic. More details http://www.dcpp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16164&highlight=multisource

I think you are correct on hub software and client idea. This is why hubs would have to ban clients with segment/multisource downloading.
Trev0r269
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Slow - hio

Postby honz318712 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:12 pm

Is there any consensus on the best DC client that has multisource enabled?
User avatar
honz318712
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Postby P2P_G » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:13 pm

I really like PeerWebDC++, its a lot faster than DC++!
Piracy Will Never Die.
User avatar
P2P_G
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Postby honz318712 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:33 pm

PeerWebDC++ has multisource?
User avatar
honz318712
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Postby P2P_G » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:36 pm

honz318712 wrote:PeerWebDC++ has multisource?


Yes! :D
Piracy Will Never Die.
User avatar
P2P_G
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Postby honz318712 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:12 am

Thanks for the info. I'll post an update once we get around to setting everything up. We currently use WASTE to share files but I think the multisource downloading feature is going to speed file transfers up significantly.
User avatar
honz318712
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Postby LaX » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:25 am

You might also want to try out the following clients. They all support multisource downloading.
-RevConnect (short for Reverse Connect DC++ I think)
-StrongDC

I've tried both and quite pleased with them :P
User avatar
LaX
 
Posts: 6551
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:02 am
Location: One of the multiverses you're not in

Postby honz318712 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:44 am

Does PeerWebDC++, RevConnect, and StrongDC allow the limiting of upload speed? If not all of them which one of these programs does, and which doesn't?
User avatar
honz318712
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Postby LaX » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:23 am

It should, as most p2p apps I've used in my life includes that option. It's not recommended though.
User avatar
LaX
 
Posts: 6551
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:02 am
Location: One of the multiverses you're not in

Postby CharIie » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:03 pm

I prefer StrongDC to RevConnect as RevConnect connects you to the Kademalia network (not sure if thats how you spell it) which is made up of all revconnect users.

This can be useful, But i prefer sharing all the content with the hubs i'm in let alone the kademailia network.

And as your sharing with friends you might not want all your content being shared elsewhere.

Just my opinion.
CharIie
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:27 pm

Postby P2P_G » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:10 pm

charlie555 wrote:I prefer StrongDC to RevConnect as RevConnect connects you to the Kademalia network (not sure if thats how you spell it) which is made up of all revconnect users.

This can be useful, But i prefer sharing all the content with the hubs i'm in let alone the kademailia network.

And as your sharing with friends you might not want all your content being shared elsewhere.

Just my opinion.


I got really bad search results with StrongDC and RevConnect....like PeerWebDC++ a lot more, and my sister loves it :lol:
Piracy Will Never Die.
User avatar
P2P_G
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Postby Trev0r269 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:45 pm

PeerwebDC++ is based on StrongDC++, so this is why these clients are very similar.
Also RevConnect is another viable option as stated above.

@P2P_G
I don't think PeerwebDC++ would get better search results than StrongDC++. To my knowledge Lee and company never added onto the search capacity of StrongDC++. I can understand how your sis likes it more though because the colors are pastels and pretty. :D
Trev0r269
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Slow - hio

Postby P2P_G » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:49 pm

Trev0r269 wrote:PeerwebDC++ is based on StrongDC++, so this is why these clients are very similar.
Also RevConnect is another viable option as stated above.

@P2P_G
I don't think PeerwebDC++ would get better search results than StrongDC++. To my knowledge Lee and company never added onto the search capacity of StrongDC++. I can understand how your sis likes it more though because the colors are pastels and pretty. :D


Image

Haha lol yeah :) But i don't know why i just like better PeerWebDC++ ;) use whats better for you Image
Piracy Will Never Die.
User avatar
P2P_G
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Postby honz318712 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:41 am

OK.. I’ve been using Peerweb / Apex DC++ for awhile now and it’s been working perfectly. It was exactly what I was looking for. I made a little guide on how I setup my network and clients. I have about 6 people connected constantly so far on my network and the speeds are great. I’m really impressed with the multisource downloading, it seems just like bit torrent. Here is a link to the guide: please let me know what you think.. and thanks to everyone to help me set it up..

http://gmatth2.googlepages.com/agoodprivatenetwork
User avatar
honz318712
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Postby honz318712 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:23 am

uhh... no ones cares huh? lol.. perhaps I should start a new topic to post this..
User avatar
honz318712
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Postby P2P_G » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:37 am

honz318712 wrote:uhh... no ones cares huh? lol.. perhaps I should start a new topic to post this..


Maby you should :) Btw, good guides! :D
Piracy Will Never Die.
User avatar
P2P_G
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm


Return to DirectConnect

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

© 2001-2008 Slyck.com