Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

staying safe

Discussion about the DirectConnect program and network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

staying safe

Postby Pharcyde » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:30 am

Hello, I have been using a BT now for quite a long time on a private tracker. It seems a lot of bad ips have infiltrated that tracker, and all the other ones I use.

Anyways I know how to use DC++, but I want to get in to some good hubs that seem relatively safe.

Could someone steer me in the right direction? I have a lot to offer as far as sharing goes.
Pharcyde

Postby Gausselimination » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:44 am

sharing loads of GB's to get into a DC hub is the last thing you want to do if you want to stay "safe".
Gausselimination

Postby LaX » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:57 am

Gausselimination wrote:sharing loads of GB's to get into a DC hub is the last thing you want to do if you want to stay "safe".

Unless you are sharing GPLed stuff :wink:

The safest hubs are probably private hubs, but it aint easy getting in. You gotta have someone from a private hub to show your way in.
LaX

Postby Pharcyde » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:28 am

Hmm, ok well how do you go about meeting people in this filesharing land? I'm not the type to just go into chat rooms and type it up if you know what I mean. :shock:

I would willfully do just about anything, I just want to have more of an idea of who is on the other side of the connection. BT is scaring the shit out of me lately, certain torrents just have the craziest amounts of blocked ips on protowall.

Does anyone feel like talking to me some more so we can eventually establish a friendly relationship, so I can get into a private hub? Seems a little far fetched but it's worth a shot. :lol:
Pharcyde

Postby LaX » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:30 am

In DC, whenever you join a hub, the main window is a chatroom. You just chat there. But do know that the chances arent too big.
LaX

Postby bitz » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:08 pm

Gausselimination wrote:sharing loads of GB's to get into a DC hub is the last thing you want to do if you want to stay "safe".

Very true, dc along with other p2p filesharing is only for peers that can afford to fork over thousands in settlements or spend far more fighting court battles they are realistically unlikely to win.

If you want to stay safe there are other newer filesharing networks and clients. If you are well educated concerning filesharing technologies then you could use bittorrent in a safe manner.
bitz

Postby slinkyspirit » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:24 pm

bt is fine, protowall is the problem. if u feel the need to use a blocklist, use utorrent with ipfilter.dat but i doubt it makes ne real difference. dont worry ureself so much, and its true dc is not safe. bt on private sites is fairly safe, but if u cant take the heat, get outta the kitchen
slinkyspirit

Postby Pharcyde » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:41 pm

slinkyspirit wrote:bt is fine, protowall is the problem. if u feel the need to use a blocklist, use utorrent with ipfilter.dat but i doubt it makes ne real difference. dont worry ureself so much, and its true dc is not safe. bt on private sites is fairly safe, but if u cant take the heat, get outta the kitchen

I'm trying to reduce the heat I guess. I know there are safer ways to trade and I figured private hubs would be a great way to share. I know protowall has a lot of ips that are ok, but it also has a lot of bad ones. I see a lot more time warner telecom and stuff of that sort then I would like too.

So if no one is going to help me out with a private hub, does anyone know of a good private tracker? I use demonoid right now, and it is great for a lot of things. But the new movie releases and such on there seem to be watched a lot.
Pharcyde

Postby Gausselimination » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:49 pm

well for one, demoniod isnt a private tracker. thier torrents are found on public sites and allow for dht and peer-exchange.

there are threads here at slyck (search bt section)listing the most popular private sites....you may need an invite, but people here will most likely hook you up if they can.
Gausselimination

Postby Wham » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:15 pm

I am not trying to be rude or any such thing but I must tell you that probably most posters on Slyck understand that this is a wide open forum and being as such will try to help anyone who needs some suggestions only to a certain point. Because of what the RIAA/MPAA are doing to filesharing it is just not prudent for anyone to share their secrets of how they manage their P2P applications and/or how to get the most out of P2P. If they did do this, it not only would be detrimental to their safety but to all file shares in general.
Wham

Postby Pharcyde » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:18 pm

Well if anyone wants to be helpful and give me an invite to a private tracker/hub, it would be great. I know I cannot prove to you that I am not the RIAA/MPAA or what not. But help a brotha out seriously :)

thanks for the help guys
Pharcyde

Postby 95 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:20 am

Asking for a safe manner in which to fileshare is like asking for a safe manner in which to buy & sell illicit drugs. Its an illegal business..do it if you decide to..but don't think there's anything you can do to make yourself invisible.

They're illegal for a reason..because propagandizing groups & their dictators need the distractions to facilitate the business they've chosen.

But the thing on our side is that 90% of law enforcement is purely reactionary..they don't act until something significant comes along..specifically a tip.

And for those of you who think I'm full of shit..read the bill of rights..giving special consideration to one amendment in particular pertaining to illegal search & seizure. Cowboys can't just come stampeding on in & trash your shit on a hunch anymore.

You want to be as safe as you possibly can on DC specifically without any ties to private hubs..step 1..refrain from logging into American based hubs.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(>< )
/_|_\Real Eyes Realize Real Lies..

Postby Pharcyde » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:20 am

It is true that I can't be invisible, but I know I can be safer.

I don't ever log on to USA pub hubs because of a prior tip (but thanks for the reassurance)

I am just looking for a safer way to to share, so if anyone wants to help me out with an invite, it would be wonderful. If you would like me to take a test to get into the private elite social file sharing clubs, I would be more than happy. :D

I buy illicit drugs pretty regularly, and after a long period of time I have been able to do it pretty safely. I need to do the same thing for file sharing now that you bring it up. :twisted:

Sorry for how stupid that sounded, but I am pretty drunk.
Pharcyde

Postby 95 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:33 am

Pharcyde wrote:If you would like me to take a test to get into the private elite social file sharing clubs, I would be more than happy. :D

I buy illicit drugs pretty regularly, and after a long period of time I have been able to do it pretty safely. I need to do the same thing for file sharing now that you bring it up. :twisted:

You got most of it..& I'm pleased to see that..

But first claiming to be involved in the underground world of substances sales as you do & all..you should also know about "the ladder" you can't just walk up to someone out of the blue & expect them to hook you up..& if they do well then what sort of regard do you hold them in? cool for hooking you up sure but stupid for associating with Joe Nobody in such activities.

Those who are apart of the actual private regions of the "underground" are the backbone of all illicit activities..so don't you think they'd maintain a sort of "wolfpack" attitude. Insiders get fucked by outsiders..& thats it.

I do understand your concerns & interests..but honestly I wouldn't want to be a part of any group that claims privacy but extends to any public who only have to make a simple request to gain entrance.

Its like asking where you can find the black market. Ya Dig?

Fin
(\_/)
(O.o)
(>< )
/_|_\Real Eyes Realize Real Lies..

Postby Pharcyde » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:34 pm

No, I totally understand. I would never sell drugs to some dude on the side of the road hounding me (or some guy hounding me on a forum).

This forum seems like the best bet for me to talk to some people and get an invite. I am going to stick around and post on some of the other forums for awhile and hopefully someone will help me out. I will keep this thread alive if I have to damnit :twisted:

So if anyone wants to talk to me about this issue I am having just email me at figure8xo@fastmail.fm
Pharcyde

Return to DirectConnect