Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

DC++ Clients

Discussion about the DirectConnect program and network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

DC++ Clients

Postby The_Ginger_Scotsman » Tue May 24, 2005 3:49 am

Quick question: a number of modified DC++ clients are not allowed by many of the hubs. But I'm just wondering what modified client hub owners take least offence to?
"There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman"

"And now we find, you've lost your mind; They want you still, perhaps they always will" (Honeycrack, King of Misery)
The_Ginger_Scotsman

Postby eMbry00s » Tue May 24, 2005 4:24 am

I'd say fulDC is the most widely accepted. It's the one I use, and I've had no problems at all.

It's concidered the replacement of oDC now that they don't update that anymore.
eMbry00s

Postby thejynxed » Wed May 25, 2005 7:43 pm

fulDC, zDC, LDC, StrongDC are the most popular legal clients I've seen.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby nms04 » Thu May 26, 2005 4:29 pm

fuldc? :?
nms04

Postby red duck » Fri May 27, 2005 1:23 pm

not sure if it is what you are looking for but i heard revconnect can connect to both dc hub and kad network.
there is new p2p site
...and it's growing.

The site is UP :)
red duck

Location: lemme think......... oh i forgot NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS ! ! !

Postby nms04 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:01 am

ur right redduck!
nms04

Postby Mysteron » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:34 pm

thejynxed wrote:fulDC, zDC, LDC, StrongDC are the most popular legal clients I've seen.

ZDC, LDC, StrongDC are often not considered 'legal' clients because of their multisource downloading feature, which is more suited to larger central servers on such as bittorent. Multisource clients also hog slots at relatively slow speeds :roll:
Mysteron

Postby thejynxed » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:05 am

It depends, if you are in a pitiful hub to begin with then maybe those clients aren't considered legal. And as for low speeds, I don't get less than 30kb/s per connection. Faster the file is done, faster it goes into my share folder.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby Mysteron » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:46 am

It has nothing to do with whether a hub is pitiful or not, its about having a level playing field. There are plenty of hubs large and small only allow DC++ and fulDC so that everyone can get a fair crack of the whip when it comes to slots. Multisource is much better suited to servers where many more users are connected than a DC hub can carry.
Mysteron

Postby zappauk2003 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:11 am

I know revconnect is also frowned upon in a lot of hubs.
Finally getting around to trying out Linux, life's hard when you lack intellect.
zappauk2003

Postby The Galloping Goose » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:54 pm

I'm using StronDC .. I was on DC:Pro before.

For clients & descriptions go here :
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6513
The Galloping Goose

Postby Trev0r269 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:50 pm

I use LDC++ which is a further modified StrongDC
Trev0r269

Postby captain_death » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:28 am

waht are the illegal clients? can i have an example of one? and why are they bad?
captain_death

Postby 3x3x3 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:16 pm

a client is illegal or not is fully decided by the hub owner/operator. Most hubs allow normal DC++.

captain_death wrote:waht are the illegal clients? can i have an example of one? and why are they bad?
3x3x3

Postby captain_death » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:16 am

fair enough. whty the hell wont they alow us to use certain clients? i want examples please!!!!!!!!!
captain_death

Postby 3x3x3 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:29 am

some hubs ban BCDC++ because of its upload speed limiter.
3x3x3

Postby Hoosierdaddy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:57 pm

fair enough. why the hell wont they alow us to use certain clients?

I use BCDC++. True, some hubs do ban it because of it's ability to limit upload bandwidth. However, most reasonable and knowledgeable hub ops will allow it because they know full well that DC++ will saturate even a high speed connection within a matter of minutes. The bandwidth throttle is, sadly, a necessity. Most people's internet connection becomes unusable without some kind of bandwidth choke in place. I think most BCDC++ users try to keep it reasonable, allowing enough bandwidth for leechers to get decent speed while reserving enough of the pipeline to be able to surf and do other things at the same time. As a general rule, I will throttle back on bandwidth during waking hours and then open up the pipe when I go to bed, thereby allowing leechers to max out my connection when I'm not using it.

On the other hand, there are clients which allow people to create fake shares which in turn will allow them to get into high ratio hubs illegitimately. In other words, they may be sharing only one gig of files, but the fake share fools the hub software and it appears as if they are sharing one hundred gigs, thereby allowing them entry into a hub where the minimum share is set to, say, fifty gigs.

In my opinion an op has every right to ban clients which allow faking. Too many people abuse fake shares, even to the point that they aren't even sharing any files at all. And that's bogus. So I fully support hub ops who ban those clients.
Hoosierdaddy

Postby LordSabbath » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:06 pm

oDC and DC++are the most popular (and allowed) in DC Network.
Many "bad clients" are banned in +/- 90% from public hubs, for exemple:

AsG++
DCGUI
GDC++
rmDC++
StrongDC++
zDC++

Clients with Bandwidth Limiting and segmented downloading features aren't allowed in many hubs, so for newbies the recomendation is: use DC++ or oDC.

The so called "operator clients", like iDC++ and DCDM++, that have not these features are allowed because his features don't works fine in hub that the user is not an operator.

This "political" from DC Community is very old, but I think that one day it will be changed.

Sorry for my poor english...

Owner of HUB 'n' ROLL
hubnroll.no-ip.com
http://www.freewebs.com/hubnroll/

LordSabbath

Postby kevogod » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:39 pm

3x3x3 wrote:some hubs ban BCDC++ because of its upload speed limiter.

That kind of logic is illogical.
kevogod

Postby no_dammagE » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:10 am

theoretically dc++ has a function "use small buffer" to make sure that the upload doesn't block download. But it doesn't word :/

Well, NMDC is also dead ;)
I don't know why DCGUI is blocked. In fact it is the only really good linux DC client ...
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Postby notbob » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:30 am

dc has always been a bastion of ignorant ops refusing to adapt to new and better technologies

i remember when almost everyone banned for using dc++. look how successful that campaign was. hubs that ban for cliens suck. period.

then again, they are usually public hubs, and those automatically suck anyway
i eat regularly
notbob

rmDC++

Postby ancutaandrei » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:17 pm

One thing I noticed with rmDC++ is that it sometimes keeps running even if you shut it down. Check your Task Manager to see if it is still running.
ancutaandrei

Return to DirectConnect