Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

The Pirate Bay Could Be Blocked In UK

News about the BitTorrent Network. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

The Pirate Bay Could Be Blocked In UK

Postby sunnyd » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:08 pm

Story : http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/feb/20/pirate-bay-blocked-uk-high-cour

The filesharing website The Pirate Bay has come a step closer to being blocked in the UK after the high court ruled that the site breaches copyright laws on a large scale.

Major music groups want British internet service providers (ISPs), such as BT and BSkyB, to prevent their millions of customers from accessing The Pirate Bay in the UK.

In a judgment handed down at the high court in London on Monday, Mr Justice Arnold ruled that The Pirate Bay and its users unlawfully share copyrighted music.

The Pirate Bay is one of the world's longest-running and biggest filesharing sites. According to record labels, it generated up to $3m in advertising revenue in October last year by making 4m copies of music and films available to its 30 million worldwide users. The site has 3.7 million users in the UK, according to comScore.

Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: The Pirate Bay Could Be Blocked In UK

Postby Mcdon2401 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:42 pm

And what about those of us who DON'T use TPB for copyrighted music?
It's only funny until someone gets hurt,

Then it's bloody hilarious :)

It is the mark of an educated mind, to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.
Mcdon2401

Postby DanielRavenNestNoe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Mcdon2401 wrote:And what about those of us who DON'T use TPB for copyrighted music?

Just get the lists of every magnet link from Bitsnoop:

http://www.reddit.com/r/BSLists/

And the Pirate Bay:

http://torrentfreak.com/download-a-copy-of-the-pirate-bay-its-only-90-mb-120209/

I'm sure the magnet link indexes will get better looking and easier to use over time, but for now they at least let you find all the torrents, despite any blocks. Note that both of those together fit on a CD (under 700 MB). Make offline backups.
DanielRavenNestNoe

Postby Mcdon2401 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:18 am

Cheers for that, but the point is, why should I, or anyone else, have to???

Case in point, Pioneer One. A fan financed series that is ONLY distributed through P2P, and I happen to get my copy from TPB. Perfectly legal and above board. I don't download music or movies, nor do I bother my arse with software, but my govt. thinks I must be thieving from a bunch of shysters because I happen to use a website they disagree with. Don't recall voting for THAT in the last election :(

And I know it's gonna sound dumb, but I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that, since we've been spoiled with websites and clients that do all the tricky work for you ;)
It's only funny until someone gets hurt,

Then it's bloody hilarious :)

It is the mark of an educated mind, to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.
Mcdon2401

Postby craftycorner » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:45 pm

With a few hundred copies of The Pirate Bay hiding in people's pockets, it would be very hard to block.

My God, its full of files!

Crafty
craftycorner

Return to BitTorrent News