Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Pirate Bay is Mining Cryptocurrency Again, No Opt Out

News about the BitTorrent Network. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Pirate Bay is Mining Cryptocurrency Again, No Opt Out

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:29 pm

Story : https://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-is-mining-cryptocurrency-again-no-opt-out-17

The Pirate Bay is mining cryptocurrency again, causing a spike in CPU usage among many visitors. For now, the notorious torrent site provides no option to disable it. The new mining expedition is not without risk. CDN provider Cloudflare previously suspended the account of a site that used a similar miner, which means that The Pirate Bay could be next.

Last month The Pirate Bay caused some uproar by adding a Javascript-based cryptocurrency miner to its website.

The miner utilizes CPU power from visitors to generate Monero coins for the site, providing an extra source of revenue.

The Pirate Bay only tested the option briefly, but that was enough to inspire many others to follow suit. Now, a few weeks later, Pirate Bay has also turned on the miners again.

that's complete BS. i hope cloudflare does suspend them.

MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Re: Pirate Bay is Mining Cryptocurrency Again, No Opt Out

Postby lordfoul » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 pm

I hope TPB can figure out a way to let us support them voluntarily through this mining strategy I honestly wouldn't have a problem supporting various causes in this way in the future. Shame on them for not getting this right from the beginning.
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby IneptVagrant » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:06 am

I had some trouble understanding why Cloudflare considered Coinhive malware when the site owners where adding it explicitly. Some research lead me to this article, https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... ware-devs/

Sometimes, when you can't tell the bad guys from the good guys you just nuke them all...
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby Drake » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:15 am

lordfoul wrote:I hope TPB can figure out a way to let us support them voluntarily through this mining strategy I honestly wouldn't have a problem supporting various causes in this way in the future. Shame on them for not getting this right from the beginning.

I agree. TPB should have placed a small console menu on their site that would allow visitors to control how much of their cpu resources they want to contribute.
Drake

Return to BitTorrent News