It has already been posted once in this thread (alongside numerous mentions in the ACS:Law and DL thread), but it needs emphasising again; the biggest chance to put an end to this at the moment appears to be political. The Digital Economy Bill is going through the motions at the moment and desperately needs everyone who has received letters (and those that want to voice opinions about their own concerns) to contact MPs and Lords to ensure the Digital Economy Bill prevents such legal abuse in future.The bill is now at a very important stage.
Most of the amendments from the Lords will be finalised when the report stage starts on the 1st March. This is your LAST CHANCE
to influence the bill in the House of Lords.
If you have not yet contacted 3 or so Lords, please do so today:Http://www.writetothem.com/lords
As already mentioned, can all those from Tilly Bailey Irvine please include either Lord Clement Jones or Lord Lucas as one of your letter recipients; you can then send the same letter to 2 or 3 more lords from the list below:
# Lord de Mauley (Cons)
# Earl Attlee (cons)
# Baroness Howe of Idlicote (N/a)
# Baroness Byford (Cons)
# Lord Wade of Chorlton (Cons)
# Baroness Hayman (Lab)
# Lord Maxton (labour)
# Viscount Bridgeman (Cons)
# Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer (LibDem)
# Lord Triesman (Lab)
# Lord Birt (N/A)
# Lord Whitty (Lab)
# Lord Davies of Oldham (Lab)
# Lord Faulkner of Worcester (Lab)
# Baroness Buscombe (Cons)
# Lord Steel of Aikwood (LibDem)
# Lord Puttnam (Lab)
# Baroness O'Neill of Bengarve (N/A)
# Lord Mayhew of Twysden (Cons)
# Lord Mackay of clashfern (Cons)
Some points you may wish to raise are as follows, obviously amend and come up with your own:
- Why does the law allow for the mass granting of Norwich Pharmacal Orders? Assuming flagrancy of copyright infringement and the strength of their supposed proof, surely NPO's could be applied for individually on the basis that the infringement case will be a certain win (and the cost of the NPO can be recouped through court costs).
- Why have the SRA not acted to protect the public and their profession from a clear abuse of the spirit of the law?
- Why does the Digital Economy Bill not ensure that the process within it is compulsory? If law firms can continue what they are doing despite the new bill, they inevitably will do so.
- Who will independently arbritrate the evidential methods used to demonstrate individual infringement?
- How can the account holder be held even partially responsible for an act of which they are unaware, when the ubiquitiousness and ease of hacking of wireless networks is as it is? All known wireless security methods have been broken and knowledge of more than rudimentary security requires a high level of techinical knowledge.
- Why is there no amendment to the Data Protection Act to bring the UK in line with General Advocate Kokott's interpretation of EU law that IP addresses are private data and individual details may only be provided in extraordinary circumstances (i.e. as a result of criminal prosecution) and not routinely to collect 'fines'.
It is very important for you to give your PERSONAL
views, you are giving your opinion on the emotional damage of the letters as well as the inaccuracies and legal flaws. Talk only about what you feel comfortable, but make sure you do send something
to several Lords.Do what you can to help, write to several Lords today:Http://www.writetothem.com/lordsFor anyone thats already sent messages, it is well worth sending another message to the Lords you've contacted before (with the possible exceptions of Lord Lucas and Lord Clement Jones) asking what the Lord has done with your information and how they will be helping you on the Digital Economy Bill
Remember, LAST real chance for the House of Lords to make a difference is next week.