Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Limewire MP3 File Identification

Discussion of the Gnutella network and the Gnutella clients such as Gnucleus, XoloX, Shareaza, LimeWire and BearShare
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Limewire MP3 File Identification

Postby usenetmaster » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:57 pm

I have a fairly easy question, and I think I already know the answer but this board seems to be pretty smart. When a MP3 file is downloaded using Limewire, or any P2P software are any special tags added to the file or is anything hard coded into the MP3 file. Is there anyway to tell if the files came from Limewire?

Thanks

:headbang:
usenetmaster

Re: Limewire MP3 File Identification

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:03 pm

long story short - no ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby usenetmaster » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:20 pm

So nothing is hard coded into the file? One of our employees had some MP3 files on their work computer, and we're interested in where they obtained the files? If anyone knows of any possible way, no matter how difficult it might be please let me know.

Thanks
usenetmaster

Postby KingGeorge » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:35 pm

Sometimes the encoder will leave notes in the metadata look there. Use a program such as mp3tag or mediainfo to look at the metadata.
While copying an unreleased album for work, accidentally left a file-sharing site open on his computer. "Two guys in long black coats turned up at my work, trying to intimidate me." -Bob May British PR.
KingGeorge

Postby zbeast » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:53 pm

Ok, that sounds odd... why do you care where an employee got a file from?

Nope, file's transferred via p2p applications are just transferred.
They are not modified in anyway, just as if they were transferred via ftp.

You really can't even look to see if there's a file association because media files are associated
the the primary device that plays that type of file.

Where is the mp3 located? is it in the download folder for limewire.. but then thats no poof that it
was downloaded by limewire. The download directory used is often the mymusic folder.
I'm guessing this is a windows computer so you can't even see who was the owner(creator) of a given file.
windows does not have that at part of the OS.

Nope, your up poo's creek without a paddle and your going to have to use your hands..

Short list
There is no file by file logs.
The file is not modified in anyway with any type of tags.
The meta data is not modified in anyway.
Windows OS provides no history, no file mod data, no file creator data.

Anyway you should not be worried about where a employees are getting music from...
That's kind of creepy.

The only way to see where a file came from is if your the original sender of that file
and you logged not only the IP number but the time and date the file was sent.
Even that wont help you because if the machine connecting to you is via a nat, the ip number
that the sender see's is the ip of the gateway or firewall.. At that hour in time.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:57 pm

correct, master. as KG says, you can look at the metadata tags (aka ID3v1/ID3v2 tags). but you should understand that what you are likely looking for is someone who has manually tagged their files with an identifier of the network they shared them on (which is rare at best). i know of no client program that does that itself. also understand - even if someone tags their files "limewire", how do you know someone who downloaded them didn't turn around and share them on one of the countless OTHER networks? not to mention, there's nothing to stop someone tagging all their files as limewire, and then sharing them on WinMX ;)

if someone had these files on a work computer, i'd think a much more telling thing would be to look for any installed p2p software on that computer.

unless someone has intentionally manually edited these files to identify the network they shared them on, there is no forensic analysis of the file itself that will tell you. and as i've explained, even if you see "limewire" or whatever in the tag, you still don't know where this person got them from. no free filesharing network leaves a fingerprint on the file itself.

edit: zbeast beat me. ya, what she said :)
MrFredPFL

Postby RSalister » Fri May 29, 2009 1:46 pm

If I were you I'd be more concerned about what data the guy is SHARING on Limewire. Unless you specifically tell it not to do so, the program will share your desktop, your downloads folder, all kinds of good stuff...
RSalister

Postby Fartingbob » Fri May 29, 2009 4:36 pm

RSalister wrote:If I were you I'd be more concerned about what data the guy is SHARING on Limewire. Unless you specifically tell it not to do so, the program will share your desktop, your downloads folder, all kinds of good stuff...

No it wont. Last time i used it (and for as long as its been around) it only shared the limewire download folder by default. The user would have to manually select C: or whatever to make all the files on the PC available.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Return to Gnutella