Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Yet another odd pop-up message in Frostwire?

Discussion of the Gnutella network and the Gnutella clients such as Gnucleus, XoloX, Shareaza, LimeWire and BearShare
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Yet another odd pop-up message in Frostwire?

Postby LANjackal » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:10 pm

You guys might recall the thread I started last August about Limewire PRO ads showing up in Frostwire. Well, if you thought that was odd, check this out:

Needless to say, I didn't go to the site. I'm not sure if the message is malicious since it encourages the user to ignore it if they're not experiencing any problems, which most malware never does. But seriously, what is going on with Frostwire? Any clues? Anyone else notice this?
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Re: Yet another odd pop-up message in Frostwire?

Postby ejonesss » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:17 pm

it is probably a possible virus or an attempt to get you to install a virus or something.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby Aaron.Walkhouse » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:34 pm

FrostWire is several revisions behind LimeWire, which plugged that exploit months ago.
Aaron.Walkhouse

Postby LANjackal » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:35 pm

Aaron.Walkhouse wrote:FrostWire is several revisions behind LimeWire, which plugged that exploit months ago.
Ah, ok. Where's the message coming from? A remote attack, or is there malware on my PC, or ... ?
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Aaron.Walkhouse » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:08 am

It's a remote attack that breaks through the security on that notification feature.
You can ignore it because you'd have to click on it to set off the next stage of the attack.
Aaron.Walkhouse

Postby LANjackal » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:19 pm

Aaron.Walkhouse wrote:It's a remote attack that breaks through the security on that notification feature.
You can ignore it because you'd have to click on it to set off the next stage of the attack.
K, thanks for the info :)
LANjackal

Postby Klaus_1250 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:30 am

Sorry to break in this thread, but why is Frostwire so behind on Limewire revisions?

Second, what is the exact relationship between Frostwire and Limewire? I recently did a search with Phex (connected to 5 Limewire UPs) for both Limewire and Frostwire installation packages. Limewire was way ahead (of course), but the number of results for Frostwire was... 0. In fact, the only non-spam result I got back was for Limewire, not Frostwire...

Is Frostwire still that rare? Do the Gnutella islands still exists? Is locating "rare" material still a no-go on Gnutella?
Klaus_1250

Postby gubatron » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:52 pm

LOL, that was no attack, it was legitimate. We had written a patch for windows users that couldn't connect.
gubatron

Return to Gnutella