Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Shareaza 2.3.0.0 is released

Discussion of the Gnutella network and the Gnutella clients such as Gnucleus, XoloX, Shareaza, LimeWire and BearShare
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Shareaza 2.3.0.0 is released

Postby ale5000 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:24 pm

Download: http://shareaza.sourceforge.net/?id=download

A short summary of changes:
* Much better connectivity to all networks, with the most problems solved for Gnutella and eD2K.
* More stability of the client, with less crashes, freezes and memory leaks.
* Easier to set-up routers with Universal Plug&Play (UPnP).
* Transparancy with ALT+UP/DOWN arrow to see what's happening behind the window (It is the easter egg).
* A vastly improved skinning engine for more impressive skins.
* Ability to search by BTIH over G2.
ale5000

Re: Shareaza 2.3.0.0 is released

Postby zbeast » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:44 pm

Oh it's still around... I use to use this when I was back in high school...
I dropped it after emule and other individual P2P applications got better.

Shareaza's edoneky network search seem to always suck...
it always returned very few search results even for he most basic of files.
It's Gnutella feature didn't seem to work at all..

I'm always looking for something new to play with so I'll throw this on my laptop and play with it for a while
to see if it's worth my time.

Personal preference I don't think I would ever go back to trying to use a unified client.
I like to have all my p2p application running via there own clients.
That way I get more fine control of the network i'm flowing data to and from.
Also the single clients seem to be more feature rich.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby jay-jay » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:56 pm

Ah Shareaza. Brings back old memories...I used to use it a lot back when it was a pure Gnutella applicaiton. Once it became multi protocol and Mike (the lead developer at the time) left, it hasn't really interested me much, since the support for the BT and ED2K networks are not as good as their native clients.

I would give it a whirl, though it is banned from most private BT trackers that I use.
jay-jay

Postby ale5000 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:51 pm

Shareaza can be used well only from advanced users, it has a control that other apps can't even dream (you must go in Power Mode to see that)

I see that some BT trackers have a short list of allowed clients and ban everything else; this behaviour is very stupid.
I'm a person that choose the program to use instead of use the program that others choose for me.
ale5000

Postby ale5000 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:53 pm

Can someone update Shareaza here, please? http://www.slyck.com/prog.php?id=25
ale5000

Postby zab » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:25 pm

Sigh
zab

Postby MoJo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:15 pm

Hey ale500, it's me MoJo from the Shareaza forums (which is down at the moment). Yeah maybe you can divulge some sort of RoadMap for where you, Rolandas, Raspopov, dcat, MikeW, and the others would like to take this Project? Also any hints on when the forums will be back ... the SourceForge forums are alright but it isn't a place to have a full fledged P2P app be discussed. At this rate the entire community might not survive after this downtime, if money is the issue lets get a donation drive going so that we can obtain a VBulletin Board License. Also is there anywhere for the full changelog of this current release?

I don't know if you ever heard my criticism, but for memories sake it's always worth repeating. It is time to get rid of the monolithic eD2k protocol and the G1 protocol. Each has there own reason ... eD2k is a network hog by design if our client isn't enforcing Ratios. So in the end a Shareaza user has his upload queues filled by long queues of eD2k leechers and a single movie is queued at position 1523 of 2300 for each user you are downloading off of. This takes way too much bandwidth resources, and doesn't leave any to even have a trickle down effect onto the other networks (that was the intention when Mike implemented them). G1 is a good system, but aye do I remember the old G1 vs. G2 flames (Please I don't want to start it again). So in saying that if the G2 camp (me included) made the assertion that G2 is the shiznit, why not back it up by making Shareaza a G2 only system ... it's time we broke ranks and upgraded and fixed solely G2. Remember the talk of a Transport Layer, G2 DHT, F2F, DeChat, and newer developments held back because of being Multi-Protocol like Protocol Encryption and etc. With G2 as the main focus it would be doable in upgrading G2 which is starting to decay in my opinion because of lack of updates to the specs and lack of focus on improving its adoption. BT should be kept, it isn't a network but more of an overlay network which is used from time to time ... but it still needs big upgrades in Shareaza. I don't care who is better G1 or G2, the lesson I learned is that it doesn't matter which is technologically superior, but rather which one is the simplest to use, learn, and develop for.

Please no flames, I'm no Shareaza fanboy (heck I use solely utorrent (on Win PC), deluge (on Ubuntu PC), and Newgroups). So gone are the days of Shareaza as this entire project took a nosedive after Mike left. I think it was his abrupt exit that eventually doomed this entire project from the get go. He should have left a hierarchy for the Shareaza Development team, and a way for new coders to easily join the Shareaza Development team. When he left it was chaotic, then MogtheCat came and left, camper came and left, Brov came and left, Zootella came and left, Cyberbob came and left. So the trend is that Shareaza could attract talented Developers ... but the old vanguard never left an incentive to Developers to contribute anymore. I remember the themage made this wicked update to the scheduler ... the forum goes down and the code is lost forever (how sad and Pathetic of our entire Shareaza team). Hey I'm actually surprised development is still ongoing, and so this gives me a little hope that there is some semblance of organization. Hope this is the darkness before the light.

+1 on updating the Software details page for Shareaza ... who has the ability of doing this? Anyways man goodluck and Happy Christmas + New Year if I'm not able to wish all you guys that over on a new forum (sadly boycotting that god for saken hideous forum over at Sourceforge).
MoJo

Postby ale5000 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:06 am

Hi MoJo.

There isn't a fixed RoadMap, it is just: fix bugs, add features, fix bugs, add features, fix bugs, add features, release a beta, fix bugs, add features, fix bugs, add features, then if is stable enough made a release, fix bugs, add features, etc.

The VBulletin Board License is locked to the Shareaza domain but we have it, however the domain now isn't usable.
It isn't lost but the person that have it have personal problem so we have to wait.

There isn't the full changelog yet (I haven't had time to do it)

I get good downloads also from eD2k and G1 (although from G2 are faster most of the time) so I don't see the point of removing them; you can disable them if you want.
Also removing them mean leave Shareaza in a "bugged" state (since they are entangled a lot) and lost a big amount fo time to fix it.

The "update to the scheduler" is the only peace of code lost, it was an incident.

MikeW has left also, CyberBob is working on ShareazaPlus now (the app is no longer bad), WildCard and SkinVista has joined.
A new project is born: http://www.flox-network.com/
and hopefully will be included in Shareaza when will be ready.

Join us at irc://irc.p2pchat.net:6667/Shareaza

Best regards,
ale5000
ale5000

Postby zab » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:31 pm

:nopity:
zab

Postby SlyckTom » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:31 pm

Hey Zab, we get that you don't like Shareaza. I understand your dislike of the program. But it's time to move on. Just about all of your 100+ posts are reflections of how much you can't stand the program and anyone who does. I'm sure your energy would be better spent on something that you do like...and I'm sure that would make your intellect much more valuable to this community.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Paradigm » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 pm

IC that not only has the LW staff started to use users computers to distribute their program (trojan???), they have also resorted to trolling around insulting other clients.... :?

that post by zab is proof of the second statement, and prove the first by looking in the shared folder and see what lurks there...w00t, you guys don't have enough BW to pay for the distro yourself????? :nopity:
Paradigm

Postby Lee1001 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:56 pm

Yesterdays,!!
Lee1001

Return to Gnutella