Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Gnutella and IP Address

Discussion of the Gnutella network and the Gnutella clients such as Gnucleus, XoloX, Shareaza, LimeWire and BearShare
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Gnutella and IP Address

Postby Viking » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:46 am

Hi everyone, does anybody know a good Gnutella client that doesn't show your IP adress and that from the one who is downloading from you so obvious?? (like for example KC Easy,Bear Share etc do.)

Or is showing IP adresses so clearly part of the whole Gnutella experience.

I know eventually everybody can be tracked down, but why make it that easy?
Viking

Re: GNUTELLA - IP ADRESS

Postby LANjackal » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:00 am

Viking wrote:Hi everyone, does anybody know a good Gnutella client that doesn't show your IP adress and that from the one who is downloading from you so obvious?? (like for example KC Easy,Bear Share etc do.)

Or is showing IP adresses so clearly part of the whole Gnutella experience.

I know eventually everybody can be tracked down, but why make it that easy?

First of all, the Gnutella protocol was not originally engineered for security/privacy - it's easy to pull IP addresses from the network whether or not the client displays them directly.

Secondly, even if your client hides IP address from you, chances are that almost everyone else (including those connected to you in any manner) is using a client that does, and hence can see your address anyway.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Gnutella IP adress

Postby Viking » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:18 am

I didn't know it was that easy, does that also applie for Winmx and kazaaLite??
Viking

Postby jokster » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:55 am

Fuck me pink! A kazaa user :shock: [faints]
Your answer is yes by the way.
Capitalism Is Cannibalism
Resistance is fertile
jokster

Gnutella IP Adress

Postby Viking » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:25 am

jokster wrote:Fuck me pink! A kazaa user :shock: [faints]
Your answer is yes by the way.

Well, I guess it's simple then, no more file sharing from me, sorry all you old and hard to get music lovers :cry:
Viking

Postby jokster » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:08 am

Aw man dont take it so hard, try bittorrent and hide in the swarm, take the emule for a walk - just dont share too much at any one time, check out darknets, try smaller networks, hell go around to a mates house and raid his cd collection (the safest of all filesharing methods) or (even better) date someone who works in a music store!
Where's your Nordic spirit? Just think "What would Odin do?"
So many options, so little time...
Capitalism Is Cannibalism
Resistance is fertile
jokster

Re: Gnutella IP Adress

Postby Drake » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:41 am

Viking wrote:Well, I guess it's simple then, no more file sharing from me, sorry all you old and hard to get music lovers :cry:

It doesn't really matter if they can see your IP address. They're still using the same technique to pick out targets - browse the users shared folder and take snapshots of what they're sharing. They also claim to download each copyrighted song but they haven't proved this yet.

Depending on which P2P app you are using, you might have the option of making your shared folder private. Believe it or not, hiding it actually does make you safer.
Drake

Gnutella IP Adress

Postby Viking » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:23 am

jokster wrote:Aw man dont take it so hard, try bittorrent and hide in the swarm, take the emule for a walk - just dont share too much at any one time, check out darknets, try smaller networks, hell go around to a mates house and raid his cd collection (the safest of all filesharing methods) or (even better) date someone who works in a music store!
Where's your Nordic spirit? Just think "What would Odin do?"
So many options, so little time...

I was just kidding, I share my music similtaniously on 3 to 5 programs, I want everybody to enjoy music that is not very easy to get anymore , FILESHARING FOREVER, there never was a law that said Vikings couldn't take things for free, so why should there be one now for other people to up-download music
Viking

Postby zbeast » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:48 pm

Most p2p application do not hide your ip.
The ones that do are slow and well dont have many users.
If your trying to hide on a school network is to build your own network.
If you going to try and hide on a public network.
Best thing is not to have your share directory search-able. It prevents a lot of automated searching of shares.

Hay wait you can't be trading music it's been contained.
;)

I no longer trade music and movies online.
Not because of the evil empires.
its because it's not very efficient.
All my big file trading I do these days is hard drive trading.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822154409
Sneaker net beats broadband any day of the week.

If you have neighbors who are network savvy be it on campus on in your neighborhood. setup a mesh network.
I'm trading files with my neighbors using up powered access points. I use to do this is the dorms to stay off the schools network.

I use DC++ on this network. It keeps people from trying to trade moives on comcast who will fink you out in a sec.

Ha my drinks are here at last i'm going to knock a few of these back then it back in the jacuzzi.
zbeast

blablabla below :p

Postby sonnentier » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:36 am

Sneaker nets only work if the other people have useful media. They also need to participate actively. Would the people rip the media on their own, which they bought on their own?
Here availability is much better on the internet, you can more or less get what you want, not what others want (also in formats). After that, we can exchange internet downloaded media via mass storage devices.
But if I would have to forget the internet for filesharing, i would definately miss something.
sonnentier

Return to Gnutella