Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

How come knowone told me Phex was so cool?

Discussion of the Gnutella network and the Gnutella clients such as Gnucleus, XoloX, Shareaza, LimeWire and BearShare
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

How come knowone told me Phex was so cool?

Postby Allied » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:53 pm

I remember Chuck breaking down the Gnutella chain of command like this,
LW/FW>Bearshare>GTK-Gnutella>GnucDNA>Phex>Shareaza>gIFT>mlnet

Limewire, being forced to filter. BearShare, iMesh's bitch. Gtk, Linux. GnucDNA, no development this year.

So I gave Phex a shot.
The GUI is great. Up there with eMule and Shareaza. Certainly better than LimeWire on Gnucleus. Open source so it's got 1 up on BearShare.

Checkout some screen shots,
ImageImageImage
So what's the downside? It takes more ram than LimeWire(damn java)aside from that..

Is there some bombshell that makes it a bad Gnutella client? No ultrapeer ability? No partial filesharing? Eats puppies and kitties?
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby P2P_G » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:59 pm

I try'd it and i like'd it but i takes so much ram, if it only would not be a java client :cry:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby yaveznodo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:16 pm

I thought Phex was the one with all the nasty spyware? Although I could be mistaking it with another Gnutella client.
yaveznodo

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:32 pm

yaveznodo wrote:I thought Phex was the one with all the nasty spyware? Although I could be mistaking it with another Gnutella client.

son its open source
Anonymous

Postby Allied » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:59 pm

There's lots of open source programs with spyware.
The first Slyck review of the program says it has spyware and adware,
http://www.slyck.com/prog.php?id=172

But this version is 100% clean. Spyware past? Maybe, could put me off the program.

I really like the way it displays connections. Reminds my of Shareaza.

I like the ip's all over the place. Showing ip's reminds the user that they're not safe.
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby yaveznodo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:12 pm

Don't call me Son you arrogant tool.

And yeah, I tried Phex waay back and it was infested, hence the question mark after my remark. Allied thankfully cleared up that question for me, and now I will give the programa whirl on his recommendation.
yaveznodo

Postby Allied » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:21 pm

yaveznodo wrote:Don't call me Son you arrogant tool.

And yeah, I tried Phex waay back and it was infested, hence the question mark after my remark. Allied thankfully cleared up that question for me, and now I will give the programa whirl on his recommendation.

I don't recommend it... I'm still a Phex n00b. You'll know I'm a fanboy when it appears in my sig or something.

Everyone in this thread seems as clueless as me. I could still see som Gnutella guru coming in and bashing the program. As of right now, all I know is it download good, uploads good and has a nice interface.
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Postby yaveznodo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:32 pm

I'm not running a gnutella client at the moment and was only looking around this afternoon for one (other than limewire) to look into.

I'll give Phex a shot anyway, see how well it works out. :)
yaveznodo

Re: How come knowone told me Phex was so cool?

Postby LANjackal » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Allied wrote:Is there some bombshell that makes it a bad Gnutella client?

First of all, it works and so it's not a bad find at all. However, the following work against it:

- GUI slower than Limewire <- didn't think that was possible, wow
- No ability to search for a specific filetype or search by metadata
- No metadata in search results
- No option for changing the data units displayed (bits, bytes, KB, etc.)
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby jonne » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:43 pm

I've had contacts with the devs, and they seem friendly, and they're constantly working on it.

I personally run Shareaza and gtk-gnutella, but if i get around to installing java I might try phex...
<freebase> for people that like magnet and ed2k links...
jonne

Postby abou105 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:38 pm

id say im a pretty old user in terms of p2p apps and ive never tried it, tbh if its slower than limeiwre for interface it doesnt bother me and if its interface is simple, id say the only noticalbe let down is not being able to filter search results accordingly
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby Trev0r269 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:40 am

I agree the gui is slower and hogs more than LimeWire. I also think it is far more ugly, and slightly less functional. I really wish there was a good Gnutella client that wasn't written in java (BS I've never liked for a multitude of reasons, and Gnucleus is old)
Trev0r269

Postby abou105 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:04 am

Trev0r269 wrote:I agree the gui is slower and hogs more than LimeWire. I also think it is far more ugly, and slightly less functional. I really wish there was a good Gnutella client that wasn't written in java (BS I've never liked for a multitude of reasons, and Gnucleus is old)

shareaza?
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby P2P_G » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:33 am

abou105 wrote:
Trev0r269 wrote:I agree the gui is slower and hogs more than LimeWire. I also think it is far more ugly, and slightly less functional. I really wish there was a good Gnutella client that wasn't written in java (BS I've never liked for a multitude of reasons, and Gnucleus is old)

shareaza?

Yeah now when they have kinda meesed up BearShare Lite, shareaza is better, The gnutella and Gnutella2 suport is very good. Try shareaza Plus(Check out Gnutella Guid) shareaza Plus connects to more ultrapeers, fasters speeds, better search results but it takes more ram :wink: Your right abou105 :) But is Shareaza dead? they haven't like updataded since October 26th, 2005 :cry:

Tanx, P2P-G
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby abou105 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:40 pm

P2P_G wrote:) But is Shareaza dead? they haven't like updataded since October 26th, 2005

nah its still going to my knowlage. Come to think of it there hasnt been much sign of active development on most applications recently, besides that of AZ and Utorrent
abou105

Postby Trev0r269 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:37 pm

Shareaza doesn't have ultrapeer support for Gnutella. Its a nice program, and G2 is active enough for a smaller network. In the next version of 'Raza they want to implement ultrapeer support, maybe then I'll use it.
They also need to do something about the long search times.
Trev0r269

Postby sonnentier » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:05 pm

Torrents are in general more in trend, at least for people to think about (instead of just using).
Althuogh µTorrent has not released a new version for a longer period.

Shareaza Beta versions were available for a longer time, but they don't get released to the public. There are still developers, working on Shareaza right now, although it is not as fast as for Azureus.

Recently, especially on Phex there however was pretty much development. So it seems the Java-based Gnutella clients are currently the most up-to-date; I have no idea about gtk-gnutella as I am a Windows user..
sonnentier

Postby jonne » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:00 pm

gtk-gnutella is being developed actively.

I can't compare it to other gnutella clients, but it's decent. The only thing I really feel is missing is TTH support.
<freebase> for people that like magnet and ed2k links...
jonne

Postby sonnentier » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:49 am

Trev0r269 wrote:Shareaza doesn't have ultrapeer support for Gnutella.

The current version already has Ultrapeer support. Although it is not the best:
Shareaza's Ultrapeer (Hub) support for Gnutella is still considered to be in the development stage.
But it exists.

Phex did not have any spyware since years. I'm sure it will not fall back to including spyware (like other programs did).

Usage of RAM (xWire/Phex)
Also with the usage of RAM, are you really sure it uses more RAM? Here, it starts much faster than LimeWire/FrostWire. That's of course also because it does not "build interfaces, librarys, engines, windows" the way the xWires do.

LimeWire and Phex use about the same amount of RAM. There are not much differences, although LimeWire reduces usage of RAM while being minimized. I however wonder how it does this (50MB->10MB) without me noticing Limewire writing data to hard disc. Btw, Phex also does this.

So while Phex might take a bit more RAM, it also starts faster and configuring etc is faster as it does not do the things LimeWire does. I'd say in using ressources there are not much differences.

Interface
Can you change the interface of the wires? I can't use it if downloads are taking space of results, and uploads pressing connection view while having big, clumsy tabs above.
With standard skin, I like Phex much more, although it is slower.

Trev0r269 wrote:I really wish there was a good Gnutella client that wasn't written in java (BS I've never liked for a multitude of reasons, and Gnucleus is old)
Totally agreed. There could be a wider choice for a free network.
sonnentier

Postby Trev0r269 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:07 am

sonnentier wrote:
Trev0r269 wrote:Shareaza doesn't have ultrapeer support for Gnutella.

The current version already has Ultrapeer support. Although it is not the best:
Shareaza's Ultrapeer (Hub) support for Gnutella is still considered to be in the development stage.
But it exists.

Trev0r269 wrote:I really wish there was a good Gnutella client that wasn't written in java (BS I've never liked for a multitude of reasons, and Gnucleus is old)
Totally agreed. There could be a wider choice for a free network.

You're correct. My apologies. I misread the forums post by MogTheCat on the shareaza forums.
Link to Forum Thread on Development

One would think that someone would make another application not in java. This is gnutella we'r talking about, not some small, new network.
Trev0r269

Postby Allied » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:18 am

Maybe the former BearShare staff will put together an open source c++ Gnutella client.
Anything's possilbe right?
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Postby abou105 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:20 am

Allied wrote:Maybe the former BearShare staff will put together an open source c++ Gnutella client.
Anything's possilbe right?

still wait ing on frostbear arent we :P
abou105

Postby Allied » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:24 am

abou105 wrote:still wait ing on frostbear arent we :P

"PolarBear"
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Postby sonnentier » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:03 pm

No matter how the cool bear is named, it should find to us out of the siberian forest :P
sonnentier

Postby P2P_G » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:20 pm

Bear2Peer is cool 8)
Or Bear2Share :lol:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Next

Return to Gnutella