Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

BearShare Lite vs LimeWire

Discussion of the Gnutella network and the Gnutella clients such as Gnucleus, XoloX, Shareaza, LimeWire and BearShare
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby P2P_G » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:11 am

OhMyGod wrote:LimeWire & BearShareLite are both excellent Gnutella clients. Some computers will work better with BearShareLite, because LimeWire uses Java. Java is a resource hog, but the benefits of using a Java client is that it can run on many operating systems, whereas BearShareLite only runs on Windows. Another important factor is that LimeWire is basically what made the Gnutella network so popular with it open source code. BearShare really hasn't gave much to the Gnutella community since it is closed source. I have used both and I like LimeWire better. It just a matter of personal preferance which is best for yourself.

Thanks. :wink:

Okey :wink:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby dani_555 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:51 pm

I prefer BearShare Lite, because I hate the design of LimeWire's/FrostWire's GUI.
Plus downloading with BearShare works quite better for me than with LimeWire.
dani_555

Postby P2P_G » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:16 pm

dani_555 wrote:I prefer BearShare Lite, because I hate the design of LimeWire's/FrostWire's GUI.
Plus downloading with BearShare works quite better for me than with LimeWire.

Hehe thats true =)
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

bearshare v's the rest

Postby m_t_kool » Fri May 12, 2006 7:53 am

Bearshear stands alone.. Ive tried em all and bearshare is hands down the only way to go.........
I challenge any noob to give me one thing that bearshare cant do better than any other p2p...
:?:
m_t_kool

Postby firestorm9377 » Fri May 19, 2006 11:35 pm

Well, use to use limeWire, but then it got all slow and shit. So i switched to bearshare and don't regret it. P2pG, see if you can get your hands on lw4.8.1, the last good version. I have an installer for the pro version somewhere...
firestorm9377

Re: bearshare v's the rest

Postby abou105 » Sat May 20, 2006 6:47 am

m_t_kool wrote:Bearshear stands alone.. Ive tried em all and bearshare is hands down the only way to go.........
I challenge any noob to give me one thing that bearshare cant do better than any other p2p...

Gnutella is the new fast track, give it time, ive watched this network turn from a resourceful place for what i want to a source for mainsteam music and increasing fakes. Bearshare connects to this network.

1. Will never beat newsgroups for speed
2. Will not beat newsgroups or BT for safety
3. It will not be updated
4 It did well back in the day, but it is not as fast (download times) as limewire.
5. Connects to a network which will become the next taget for Riaa/Mpaa

i could go on....
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby LaX » Sat May 20, 2006 7:24 am

abou105 wrote:4 It did well back in the day, but it is not as fast (download times) as limewire.

limewire connects to gnutella, so what do you mean by that?
LaX

Postby P2P_G » Sun May 21, 2006 7:24 am

abou105 wrote:
m_t_kool wrote:Bearshear stands alone.. Ive tried em all and bearshare is hands down the only way to go.........

Gnutella is the new fast track, give it time, ive watched this network turn from a resourceful place for what i want to a source for mainsteam music and increasing fakes. Bearshare connects to this network.

1. Will never beat newsgroups for speed
2. Will not beat newsgroups or BT for safety
3. It will not be updated
4 It did well back in the day, but it is not as fast (download times) as limewire.
5. Connects to a network which will become the next taget for Riaa/Mpaa

i could go on....

1. BearShare is much faster than limewire.
2. It looks like limewire is dead.
3. Sometimes it can be faster than BT.
4. I haven't found a fake since i installed BearShare Lite.
5. You get other search results, not like in limewire.
6. BearShare uses its own part of gnutella.
7. New fasttrack? lol, gnutella does not use UUhash, or whatever the name is.
8. Gnutella is faster than Fasttrack.
9. There are more files on gnutella than on fasttrack.
10. I can even download russian music from bearshare, could never do that on fasttrack(many fakes, and not so much as i found on gnutella.

I could go on too :wink: 8)
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby yaveznodo » Sun May 21, 2006 7:36 am

I'd have to agree, nothing scientific about this and no data to back it up, but BS Lite always worked faster and gave me more results than Limewire. Weird, because they're both accessing the same network. Could it be the Java of Limewire? I don't know. Personally I'm not a fan of any app that uses java.

If you're on OSX you should try out Cabos or Poisoned or Aquisition (all faster than Limewire I've found)

Don't think I've ever used a Gnutella client on Linux, so I couldn't comment there.
yaveznodo

Postby LaX » Sun May 21, 2006 7:39 am

You gotta be on weed to not notice that Gnutella is heading towards the direction of FT.

As its becoming more mainstream, more noobs/leechers on the network, more fakes, bigger target for anti-filesharing associations...

1. BearShare is much faster than limewire.

Results vary from person to person, so this cannot be proved true.
2. It looks like limewire is dead.

Limewire cannot be completely 'dead' like WinMX, due to its open source-ness. And theres FrostWire.
3. Sometimes it can be faster than BT.

True, but even ed2k can be faster than bt. It depends on your peers and swarms.
4. I haven't found a fake since i installed BearShare Lite.

That doesnt mean it doesnt have fakes.
5. You get other search results, not like in limewire.
6. BearShare uses its own part of gnutella.

Not sure what you meant there. What do you mean by 'other search results' and 'its own part of gnutella'?
7. New fasttrack? lol, gnutella does not use UUhash, or whatever the name is.
10. I can even download russian music from bearshare, could never do that on fasttrack(many fakes, and not so much as i found on gnutella.

Why would the hashcheck matter? And read what abou said, 'Gnutella is the new fast track, give it time'
LaX

Postby yaveznodo » Sun May 21, 2006 7:46 am

I'd have to agree it's going the way of FT (is that still being used, it seems increible that anybody would connect to ti).

I don't see the need to connect to Gnutella networks anymore, now I have the Holy Trinity of P2P

The father: Newsgroups
The son: BT
The Holy Ghost: ED2K

(and of course Soulseek, which is probably God)
yaveznodo

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sun May 21, 2006 8:09 am

Id have to disagree. Gnutella was once an awful network but its constantly being improved. Kazaa was never properly updated, it basicaly hasnt changed in 4 years. Fakes can be found downlaoding files from anywhere using any form of filesharing. I'm not a huge fan of the network but it has surprised me over the last year. Its all a matter of opinion in the end, some informed, others just running off at the mouth. I've tried many of the networks and as of right now, Gnutella works best.

I myself do not put newsgroups or BT in the same catagory as P2P apps. One you have to pay for and the other is web site based. More like FTP with a twist. I love emule as I get many rare files from there.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby LaX » Sun May 21, 2006 8:13 am

Strange. I'm sorry Mel, but I can never get good speeds on Gnutella, regardless of the client I use. Maybe I have high expectations, but I constantly get higher speeds on bt :?
LaX

Postby Vampmon » Sun May 21, 2006 8:32 am

BearShare does work a lot better, results wise and downloads. Just a shame they gave in ...
http://forum.p2pchat.net << Click, Register, Post!
Vampmon

Postby P2P_G » Sun May 21, 2006 8:34 am

LaX wrote:Strange. I'm sorry Mel, but I can never get good speeds on Gnutella, regardless of the client I use. Maybe I have high expectations, but I constantly get higher speeds on bt :?

Okey, what client did you use? Just download the "older" version of bearshare lite then download a cracked bearshare pro from bearshare lite/limewire. BearShare Lite/original does only allow 12 connections(or 13 sometimes), BearShare Pro does not have any connectin limit! Check for virus when you download BS pro. The you have to copy or cut the bearshare.exe, and 2 other files i think then you paste them to your bearshare lite dirctory. Then enjoy tha fast speed :) I dont know why i get so many fakes search results on limewire but on bearshare i haven't seen one yet(maby 1 like crack all programs) I only have 1mb line and my max download speed is 138kb/s and it takes to download a movie from 1 to 2h, maxes my line. Yes BT is very fast to but BT is more for large files like xbox,ps2 games or DVD-movies :wink:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby LaX » Sun May 21, 2006 8:53 am

Couldnt remember, it was a while ago when I tried nearly everything :P No point trying to convince me now. Unless someone starts paying for me to get a nice usenet server, I'm sticking to bt :D
LaX

Postby yaveznodo » Sun May 21, 2006 9:13 am

$14.95 at Newshosting, mate. I've just switched to them from Giganews. Can't be that price (less than a spindle of 25 DVD-R's where I live) :)
yaveznodo

Postby LaX » Sun May 21, 2006 9:30 am

But being a student, I have a very strict budget.
LaX

Postby abou105 » Sun May 21, 2006 1:47 pm

@P2P_G

what i meant by 'the new fasttrack' is that the people from FT are moving to Gnutella, bringing fakes and viruses, it will become increasingly like FT in regards to files available and fakes as time moves on.

10. I can even download russian music from bearshare, could never do that on

I bet if i sent a file to you over both networks the speed would be the same.

I would argue (although im not 100% sure) that FT has more files than Gnutella, may not be as good quality etc but FT still has a huge userbase.

You can get rare music from other sources than FT and Gnutella...
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby P2P_G » Sun May 21, 2006 3:56 pm

abou105 wrote:@P2P_G

what i meant by 'the new fasttrack' is that the people from FT are moving to Gnutella, bringing fakes and viruses, it will become increasingly like FT in regards to files available and fakes as time moves on.

10. I can even download russian music from bearshare, could never do that on

I bet if i sent a file to you over both networks the speed would be the same.

I would argue (although im not 100% sure) that FT has more files than Gnutella, may not be as good quality etc but FT still has a huge userbase.

You can get rare music from other sources than FT and Gnutella...

eee okey, i don't think that people who moves from fasttrack to gnutella would share fake files :roll:
I think that the FT stats are fake, who uses FT anymore? :roll:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby OhMyGod » Sun May 21, 2006 5:46 pm

For those who didn't hear the lattest news about BearShare. Free Peers, Inc. sold BearShare to Musiclab, LLC. This is an untrusted company which is a sub-division of the owners of iMesh. This company is closely in compliance with the RIAA and MPPA.

Since the ownership has changed for BearShare, it is not the same program. They suppose to remove BearShareLite from their website. The new sponsored version has Zango (180 Solutions) spyware that can't be disabled or BearShare will not work. They are working on a paid legal download service to comply with iMesh and the RIAA.

You might as well say that BearShare is completely dead. With no new development the old versions will become not compatible with the other Gnutella clients.

Limewire and Frostwire will still move on because they are open-sourced.

Thanks. :D
OhMyGod

Postby P2P_G » Sun May 21, 2006 5:48 pm

OhMyGod wrote:For those who didn't hear the lattest news about BearShare. Free Peers, Inc. sold BearShare to Musiclab, LLC. This is an untrusted company which is a sub-division of the owners of iMesh. This company is closely in compliance with the RIAA and MPPA.

Since the ownership has changed for BearShare, it is not the same program. They suppose to remove BearShareLite from their website. The new sponsored version has Zango (180 Solutions) spyware that can't be disabled or BearShare will not work. They are working on a paid legal download service to comply with iMesh and the RIAA.

You might as well say that BearShare is completely dead. With no new development the old versions will become not compatible with the other Gnutella clients.

Damn, it would be a lot better if limewire and frostwire died, bs was the best gnutella client.
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby abou105 » Sun May 21, 2006 6:29 pm

P2P_G wrote:
OhMyGod wrote:For those who didn't hear the lattest news about BearShare. Free Peers, Inc. sold BearShare to Musiclab, LLC. This is an untrusted company which is a sub-division of the owners of iMesh. This company is closely in compliance with the RIAA and MPPA.

Damn, it would be a lot better if limewire and frostwire died, bs was the best gnutella client.

once again this seems to be an argument that can not be settled, cause limewire is a great client, and does not affect my pc it runs smoothly, and i find what i want. And it will not die, cuase unlike Bearshare its open source, no one to blame there but your beloved developers G
abou105

Postby P2P_G » Mon May 22, 2006 12:24 pm

abou105 wrote:
P2P_G wrote:

once again this seems to be an argument that can not be settled, cause limewire is a great client, and does not affect my pc it runs smoothly, and i find what i want. And it will not die, cuase unlike Bearshare its open source, no one to blame there but your beloved developers G

hehe okey maby it runs shoth on your computer but not on mine :lol: But bearshare wasn't a bad p2p client :wink:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Re: BearShare Lite vs LimeWire

Postby P2P_G » Wed May 31, 2006 6:26 am

Removed...
Last edited by P2P_G on Wed May 31, 2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

PreviousNext

Return to Gnutella