Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

LimeWire - A Guide for n00bs

Discussion of the Gnutella network and the Gnutella clients such as Gnucleus, XoloX, Shareaza, LimeWire and BearShare
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

LimeWire - A Guide for n00bs

Postby SlyckScratch » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:04 am

Description

LimeWire is one of the many new file-sharing programs which can be used to access the Gnutella network. It has quickly become popular, since it is much easier to use than the original Gnutella program. Compared to other Gnutella programs it is a lot faster when connecting to the network. It offers many features, such as intelligent downloading and quick download speeds. LimeWire is simply the best Gnutella software. It is possible to share any type of file, so you can find just about anything on this network.

We highly recommend LimeWire if you want to download files from the Gnutella network. It is easy to use and has a very nice user interface. You should be able to find a lot of complete movies shared on the Gnutella network. Another great thing about LimeWire is that since it is written in Java, so it works for Mac and Linux users also.

Installation

The first thing you need to do is to download the installation program. When the download has finished, run the exe-file and follow the instructions. First step is to choose your connection speed. Secondly, LimeWire might detect that you don't have Java Runtime Environment installed. The installation program will then start downloading the necessary Java installation files. If everything goes as it should, a progress meter will appear. When the download has finished, the installation program will automatically install the Java files. You will be asked for a directory where to install the files. The default directory is good. After the installation has finished you should have a LimeWire folder on your Start menu under Programs. You should also have a LimeWire icon on your desktop. If the program doesn't start automatically, start it from the menu or using the icon.

Searching files

Searching for files is very easy. Simply click on the Search tab and enter a keyword. If you are looking for a movie you should select Video as the file type to avoid getting irrelevant search results. Try some different searches and see what comes up. Note that full-length movies are usually around 600MB, so smaller movies might be incomplete/corrupt, unless the movie is low quality or has a short playtime.

Downloading files

Downloading a file is also very easy. Simply doubleclick on the file you want to download and it will appear below, in the Downloads area. In this area you will see status information about all of your currently ongoing file transfers and when they will finish.

Guide courtesy of Astalavista.com
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby Assyrian » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:32 am

very nice, but ..

do users really need a guide to limewire with the crap its about to go through? how about frostwire? is there one around yet?
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby lordpake » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:43 am

Aren't those two apps currently the same? Except some cosmetic differences, such as Frostwire text instead of Limewire? So this guide can be used imho by users of both programs as easily. Besides current versions of Limewire work nicely.
lordpake

Postby Assyrian » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:47 am

they are?

heh, never used frostwire, i've used limewire once though ..

also, if they are the same, whats taking them so long to finish stable development? i mean, all they had to do was change the name? right?
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby lordpake » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:54 am

As far as I've understood Frostwire is supposed to be a LW clone without that "licenced-only content" -stuff Limewire is about to add at some point. Could be wrong though..but should that be the case the FW devs really have no hurry at all, since currently LW is still the old LW.
lordpake

Postby LaX » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:58 am

Frostwire is still in Beta stage, and does anyone know if it's open sourcE?
LaX

Postby Assyrian » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:07 am

yes, its open-source
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby tm, » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:43 am

I've often said that Limewire badly lacks a critical feature -- the ability to hide its list of shared files (from viewing by peers).

So far Gnutella has been a fairly 'safe' network, but only because the anti-P2P hired guns have concentrated on nailing Fasttrack users - the ones who fail to turn off file browsing.

With the expected demise of Kazaa and Grokster, Gnutella will eventually move into the anti-P2P's crosshairs as it becomes the dominant MP3-oriented network. Let's hope that by then, the dominant Gnutella clients like Limewire (or it's successors) will not only allow users to disable shared-folder browsing, but will have this as the default setting.
tm,

Postby Cybergenetic » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:56 am

I much prefer BearShare. Albeit, Lite/Pro.

If it does cease, then I'll more than likely turn to LimeWire/FrostWire...
Always read the small print.
Cybergenetic

Postby Mrs. 2p » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:19 pm

great effort scratch! :D

too modest to sticky yourself? :lol:

*sticky*
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby Charles » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:35 pm

LimeWire has a complete guide available for free: http://www.limewire.com/english/content ... uide49.pdf

Very nice stuff for a n00b
Multinetwork apps are good for making every network they connect to less efficient. I think I hate them ;)
Charles

Re: LimeWire - A Guide for n00bs

Postby ultracross » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:45 pm

SlyckScratch wrote:LimeWire is one of the many new file-sharing programs which can be used to access the Gnutella network.

its not very new bud. its about five years old now.
ultracross

Postby SlyckScratch » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:25 pm

ultracross wrote:its not very new bud. its about five years old now.

If thats the only complaint, Astalavista must've made a good job of this guide
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby ultracross » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:57 pm

SlyckScratch wrote:
ultracross wrote:its not very new bud. its about five years old now.

If thats the only complaint, Astalavista must've made a good job of this guide

indeed it is/was a good starting guide, but its fairly out-of-date. an updated guide can be found here: http://www.limewire.com/english/content ... uide49.pdf
ultracross

Return to Gnutella