Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

RIAA and dial up users

Discussion of the Gnutella network and the Gnutella clients such as Gnucleus, XoloX, Shareaza, LimeWire and BearShare
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

RIAA and dial up users

Postby badrobot » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:25 pm

One question:

I'm one of the unfortunates still using dial up (ISDN actually) and I share about 2000 files on Gnutella, mostly music.

Would the RIAA, BPI, etc., bother prosecuting users with dial up and ISDN connections?
badrobot

Postby WitchHunterRobin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:31 pm

Probably. 2000 files is 2000 files. Regardless of upstream speed, sharing copyrighted works will get you nailed. Even for the users with faster speeds, they don't download every one of their files. They most likely just browse the files of the potential target, download one or two songs to verify copyrights, and assume the rest are full, legitmately shared works, and sue.

Speed is probably somewhat of a factor, though. The lawsuits against the Internet2 users and many other college T1/T3 users exemplify that.
WitchHunterRobin

Postby SlyckScratch » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:21 pm

Today's BPI Press Release wrote:Civil proceedings are being issued today against five individuals who between them made 8,906 songs available for millions of people around the world to download without permission.

Potentially just 1781 songs each. I think this answers your question re the BPI. I don't think the speed of upload would be of much concern to them.
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby Nick » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:26 pm

I second that. A bit risky to share that many files in today's climate
Nick

Postby AussieMatt » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:47 pm

What the companies that data mine for RIAA members do is download one infringing song onto thier computers and then they check your shared folder for other infinging material then your nailed dosnt matter how fast your connection is and one reason they mainly go after Kazza users who are typically not as tech savy as a Bittorent or eMule user so they dont know how to block data miners .
AussieMatt

Postby JaKo30 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:03 pm

so do the RIAA and its buddies basically type in a singer or song (eg: Britney, Toxic), and than nail the person(s) that way, or do they just randomly search folders and than locate song(s) which they know are owned by them? Also if youre sharing 100 songs which u verify on RIAA Radar, are NOT owned by the RIAA are u in the clear?
JaKo30

Return to Gnutella