BBQ Talk - How to BBQ a Steak

The video lounge is now open.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

BBQ Talk - How to BBQ a Steak

Postby IceCube » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:51 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0TMm_qKgPA[/youtube]

Today's Menu:
BBQ'd Steak, Roasted Potato Wedges, Crimini Mushrooms.
BBQTalk.ca shows you how easy it is to BBQ. Visit Canada's Largest, Most Active BBQ Forum...BBQTalk.ca

Thought this was an interesting vid. Since the nice warm months are coming up if they're not already here in the Northern hemisphere, I figured this was appropriate for the time of year. :)
IceCube

Postby bluebird » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:00 am

Where you hungry when you posted that by any chance Icecube :D

liked the pinch test on his hand, never seen that before, wonder if it applies to burgers too :D
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Douglas Adams

If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun x
bluebird
Shopping Fairy

Postby IceCube » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:02 am

A marathon of posting youtube videos, got hungry on the way so I grabbed a video from the BBQTalk vlog along the way. ;)

This is probably one of the first vlogs I've seen that appears to be interesting to watching TBH. :)
IceCube

Postby Andu » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:38 am

Direct grilling is very bad. Fat can drip into the coal and burn. The smoke of that burned fat contains substances that raise your chances for cancer. Also does anybody really want to eat burned fat?
Andu

Postby DepecheNode » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:18 am

Grandad ate char-broiled beef and brisket his entire 87 years before he died of a blood clot caused by a broken hip he got after he fell down. Smoked Camels, too.

My steaks (new york strip, 9 oz's) are cooked on my LP grille. Spice up or marinate your steaks to your taste, then...

1. heat the grille to it's hottest, let 'er get smokin' hot, then turn the heat down to it's lowest just before you throw the steak on... Remember, keep the heat, keep your lid closed at all times you're not dealing with the meat.
    2. 3 minutes on one side, then turn the steaks just 20 degrees (to make that nice cross-hatch marking, just like the fine steakhouses). Grill for four more minutes on that side.
    3. Flip the steak and repeat step 2.
    4. During the final 45 seconds, apply a pat of real butter to the top of the steaks, turn the heat (flames) up all the way and let her melt and burn in.
    5. Remove and enjoy perfect steaks that are visually appealing.
For a side, try my onion potatoes... (prepare and grille before the steaks...)

1. Get a disposable aluminum baking pan (12X24)and enough tin foil to cover it.
    2. Slice up 6 large poatatoes and 3 large vidalia onions into 1/8th inch slices.
    3. coat the bottom of the pan with melted real butter.
    4. put a layer of sliced potatoes on the bottom of the pan in the butter.
    5. put a layer of onions on top of those potatoes.
    6. get a packet of Lipton's onion soup mix and sprinkle half of a pack on top of those onions.
    repeat 4, 5, and 6 until the pan is full.
    7. Cover with tin foil and bake on the upper shelf or raised deck of your grille for 45 minutes or until done. They're done when you can poke a toothpick through the tin foil and pierce a potato easily (you know it's real tender.)
    8. Enjoy with steak and fresh roasted corn on the cob. Try Leinenkugels (sp?) Wheat reserve beer, too!

I usually roast up some whole mushrooms in my own gravy concoction with red peppers to spill over the steaks. PM me if you want my secret recipe... :wink:

The potatoes come out crispy and caramally on the bottom layer... and very delicious. That's a whole lotta potatoes by the way so you should have leftovers for breakfast!
DepecheNode

Postby LD50% » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:27 am

DepecheNode wrote:Grandad ate char-broiled beef and brisket his entire 87 years before he died of a blood clot caused by a broken hip he got after he fell down. Smoked Camels, too.

Amen to that! People worry too much, just live and quit moaning! If you survive this lifetime without dyeing, no one will be more surprised than you... :wink:
LD50%

Postby jimmy90 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:19 am

BBQ a steak? Easy.

1. Buy high quality steak
2. Get BBQ fired up
3. Wave steak in general direction of BBQ
4. Enjoy (ensure blood drips down chin :))
jimmy90

Return to Video Lounge