Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

aMule freezing on startup in Ubuntu

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

aMule freezing on startup in Ubuntu

Postby LANjackal » Sun May 11, 2008 10:41 am

Lately aMule's been freezing on startup on my thrice-resurrected (LOL) Ubuntu machine. It'll get to the dialog where it automatically downloads a new serverlist, and then stall. Manually clicking the close buttons does nothing, I have to kill the process using System Monitor.

Anyone have any ideas?
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Re: aMule freezing on startup in Ubuntu

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue May 13, 2008 6:56 am

I'm just guessing really.

Perhaps, Process is launching before your internets are initialized. Either firewall is still in startup mode or you haven't finalized DHCP.

Try a static IP, or/and add the prog to allow on the firewall. If you're using wireless, not much you can do except wait longer before starting the prog.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby LANjackal » Tue May 13, 2008 11:30 pm

That's odd, because it was working before. And by "on startup" I meant when the program itself starts, not when Ubuntu boots.
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Ratt » Mon May 26, 2008 5:48 am

You've probably tried this already, but there's also the obvious test of switching off the automatic DL of the serverlist and using a static preconfigured serverlist instead.

I say this because having aMule on ubuntu (as well as eMule running on Wine) downloading stuff like serverlists and IP filters (from inside the options dialog) does cause some strange errors on occasion.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby LANjackal » Mon May 26, 2008 8:36 pm

Ratt wrote:You've probably tried this already, but there's also the obvious test of switching off the automatic DL of the serverlist and using a static preconfigured serverlist instead.
That would be the obvious solution, except that the GUI is unresponsive from the start, so I can't change anything :(. Thanks though.
LANjackal

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon May 26, 2008 8:45 pm

can you toggle that by editing a config file?
MrFredPFL

Postby Ratt » Tue May 27, 2008 4:13 am

MrFredPFL wrote:can you toggle that by editing a config file?

Hey, that's right: on Windows, you can always empty the "addresses.dat" file, that's where it gets the URL for downloading the new serverlist at startup. There's no explicit value for this feature inside the preferences.ini file, so I believe that deleting the contents of the addresses.dat file using Wordpad will do the trick.

Although I"m not sure if it works the exact same way on Ubuntu (don't have access to a Ubuntu machine right now).
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby eclectica » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:47 am

aMule 2.2.1 has been released, though the latest one in Ubuntu's repository is still 2.2.0~20080218-0ubuntu4.
© copylefted
eclectica

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet