Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

how does server return the results of searching?

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

how does server return the results of searching?

Postby mia » Fri May 18, 2007 3:07 am

if the num of results is more than the limit. which results would be returned firstly?

for example, if someone search 'mp3', which one would be returned by server firstly? The order of the results is up to the name of the file, the time of the file, the souces number of the file. or just random?

best wishes!
mia

Postby IceCube » Fri May 18, 2007 3:24 am

Admittedly, I know less about the ED2K servers (probably less than I should), but I do believ it's whatever the server finds first (which typically has more sources).

I think the server only knows the hashes that the user has and in the hash-set, there's a portion that contains the file-name. It'll get translated by the server and (effectively) put onto your results window. Any user with an identicle hash value that points to the file (not necessarily the same name as the hash code is seperate from the name usually) will get displayed as a user with the same file.

I don't know if it's the same as eMule, but if it is, then the server will return only so many results to help avoid excessive load.

Like I said though, I don't know that much about the ED2K servers, but that's my educated guess on the subject.
IceCube

Postby IneptVagrant » Fri May 18, 2007 2:43 pm

I do believe the limit is a client specification, not a server limitation.

That said, when you do a search you search one server at a time, until you reach that limit. Each server will attempt to return its full set to you, and then your client tell the server to stop sending more sources, and/or asking more servers when it reaches the limit.

common words are ignored during the search process, like an, the, and -- and only 3 letters or larger are used.

Searches with large return sizes, will quickly eat up your server credit anyways, and you will get banned for a short time if you do too many. The limit is there to help keep you from being banned accidentally. If your hitting the limit frequently, try more specific searchs. Such as only one type of search, by size, or extension.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet