Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

A few questions

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

A few questions

Postby Randa5 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:29 pm

I was browsing a website and a guy had a link to some photos he took (just regular pics, nothing special) and it was on eDonkey. Now I hadn't used eDonkey in a while on my Mac (OS X) so I fired it up. I couldn't find where to type the website in so I clicked on the help button and it came up with a frightening page about IP addresses being logged.

I've read around and found out that eDonkey was since shut down. I was using the Mac, not sure which version, but I know I downloaded the client a while back (I know it was before the spring).

I'm so worried now that something bad will happen. I didn't have any active downloads or uploads yet there were some partially downloaded files on my download list and many in my folder of downloads nestled within the ED2K folder.

I really don't want to pay a fine, go to jail, or have my internet shut off (it's essential to my business) so what are the chances?

Back when I was downloading more stuff I was younger and stupider. I realize now that it's not the way to go.

(My biggest concern is that ED2K and the website were running at the same time)
Randa5

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:25 pm

Chance you'll get sued: practically zero even if the website gets raided.
Chance you'll lose your internet: Wont happen on first offense unless your ISP is really crap. Then just get a new ISP, no-one could stop you.
chance you'll go to prison: Absolutely none, no-ones gone to prison for downloading E2DK links, and its extremely extremely unlikely that someone was monitoring your IP address after you got the link.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Randa5 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:38 pm

OK that sounds good.

I have a major ISP that starts with the same letter as the word "victory".

When I opened the web browser and saw the message, I immediately closed eDonkey and deleted it after I found out about the uninstaller programs that apparently aren't out there for Mac.

I don't think this gave any time for files to get uploaded or anything, my concern was simply being on eDonkey.

So I'm safe?
Randa5

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:49 pm

Being on any network sharing copyrighted files is potentially 'unsafe' (even the ones that claim anonymous), especially with the sue first ask later policy of the mafiAA.
Unfortuneatly its the way the internet works, with every device connected having a unique IP address that identifies it. Without this (and ISP's having to keep records of who had what IP when) we would have privacy, but the internet wouldnt work as we know it.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby zbeast » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:18 pm

It's scary to see that someone was scared by the old.
I'm logging your IP gag.

So how may more months before the old edonkey domain is taken over by a spyware peddler.
zbeast

Postby Randa5 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:00 pm

I know I have relaxed some, but I still have some fear in me...need these questions answered by someone!

1. Can someone tap into my "incoming" folder? Or can this only happen if someone is trying to upload a file?

2. If I had this on for hours on end about a year ago and did just a minute of time now, I'm at less risk, right?

3. I deleted eDonkey and the stuff in the incoming folder, so am I safe now?

4. Having eDonkey running while accessing the page wouldn't trigger any of those sites to look at me, right?
Randa5

Postby zim » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:01 pm

1. if you have it visible. theres an option for it.
2. it depends on whos looking during that minute.
3. no. you were still there. you did it. you are guilty. there are logs of the time.
4. no.

stop being so paranoid. go get emule and download all you want.

at worst you get a letter and they threaten you. you can ignore the first one. now the trick is not to get noticed twice by the same copyright holder while on the same ip.

and even then they dont go after everyone.

and even THEN you can still pay a few grand and they go away.

you gotta work hard for anything really bad to happen.
zim

Postby Fartingbob » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:04 pm

zim wrote:stop being so paranoid.

Holy shit. :shock:
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Randa5 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:30 pm

Forgive me for worrying so much. But the "scare tactic" website really got my nerves pumping.

I will say this though--after all I read over the past few days (I think I've read over 100 webpages on this subject now!) I don't think I'll ever use P2P of any sort again.

But as for what I did especially in 2005, where I used eDonkey excessively, I guess that's all in the past now.

I am applauding myself for turning the corner and realizing that some file sharing is illegal (you file sharing guys can laugh at me all you want).

One final thing--my chances of being caught on eDonkey were the same in 2004, 2005, early 2006 as they were yesterday? And probably greater then because I had a lot more in a shared folder?
Randa5

Postby zim » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:35 pm

Nearly all file sharing is illegal.

And always has been.

The thing is they cant catch all of us. Or even .1% of us.

You still have a better chance of being struck by lightning or winning the lottery than you do of being sued.

If the odds scare you that much that you quit downloading... I suggest you stay inside and play the lottery.
zim

Re: A few questions

Postby MRGTB » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:56 pm

Randa5 wrote:I was browsing a website and a guy had a link to some photos he took (just regular pics, nothing special) and it was on eDonkey. Now I hadn't used eDonkey in a while on my Mac (OS X) so I fired it up. I couldn't find where to type the website in so I clicked on the help button and it came up with a frightening page about IP addresses being logged.

I've read around and found out that eDonkey was since shut down. I was using the Mac, not sure which version, but I know I downloaded the client a while back (I know it was before the spring).

I'm so worried now that something bad will happen. I didn't have any active downloads or uploads yet there were some partially downloaded files on my download list and many in my folder of downloads nestled within the ED2K folder.

I really don't want to pay a fine, go to jail, or have my internet shut off (it's essential to my business) so what are the chances?

Back when I was downloading more stuff I was younger and stupider. I realize now that it's not the way to go.

(My biggest concern is that ED2K and the website were running at the same time)

This is part of the reason why I think the eDonkey network has gone down the pan. More and more people are only downloading and not sharing anything these days except what there downloading, because they don't want to have there IP logged for sharing stuff.
MRGTB

Re: A few questions

Postby Ratt » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:31 pm

MRGTB wrote:This is part of the reason why I think the eDonkey network has gone down the pan. More and more people are only downloading and not sharing anything these days except what there downloading, because they don't want to have there IP logged for sharing stuff.

I haven't looked at the stats in a long time, but a lot of the sharing on ED2K is being done in countries where the RIAA or MPAA or anyone else has not really succeeded in putting the fear of God into the major filesharers yet (yes, I know Germany fined a few thousands of them at a time, a while back, but I doubt that it had much effect on the average sharer).
Ratt

Postby Randa5 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:39 pm

Tomorrow, I'm buying a lottery ticket :-)
(Should I go for an instant game, which I have won before [the odds were like 1 in 5 and I won ten bucks], or try one of the big jackpots?)

I guess the stories you read about on the net are just isolated cases that people write about. Something I forgot is just how many people use the internet (millions). Probably like how these Powerball winners become media darlings yet what goes undocumented are the millions of people who don't win Powerball (like me).

And if they ever do pass laws to search hard drives for music that was downloaded I guess anything I may have on there would be protected by ex post facto because I would have downloaded it before the legislature was passed. I have a feeling these guys may pass more rediculous laws soon...

I love America, don't get me wrong, but I do think these groups are taking it too far.

Plus, aren't the targets usually the big servers with a bunch of top 40 hits on them and not some guy who had a few remixes of German trance in his incoming folder?
Randa5

Postby JunqueMan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:44 pm

Randa5 wrote:And if they ever do pass laws to search hard drives for music that was downloaded I guess anything I may have on there would be protected by ex post facto because I would have downloaded it before the legislature was passed. I have a feeling these guys may pass more rediculous laws soon...

Then they'll just slap a National Security blanket on you and the hard drive and we'll never see either again... :wink:

Junque Man
"Pass me another cold Pawtucket Patriot..."
JunqueMan

Postby zbeast » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:44 pm

Iv'e never noticed any limits on my downloading on emule.
If theres a file i'm looking for unless its really odd I can find it on emule.
You may have to roll across a few different root servers but you'll find it.

About the only impact I have seen is not from the riaa but from the fbi and there raids on top groups a few months back. Some of the rare and very expensive tools I use to find have become harder to find.
I do still get them but I have to work for it.

As far as music goes.
If its a track you can find on itunes, yahoo music, etc. you can find it on emule.
Most people don't read sites like this one they download p2p app and use it.
If it goes down they stumble around for a while till someone tell's them about something new.
Worse yet they download random p2p tools without reading real reviews about it and end up putting spy-ware or virus's on there computer or end up putting fake p2p apps on there computer like imesh or bearshare.
zbeast

Postby Randa5 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:11 pm

Sorry to be a pest, but I still have one unanswered question:

Could anyone ever get a list of the contents of my shared folder without first attempting to download something from me or by searching for something that by some chance I had?
Randa5

Postby Ratt » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:18 am

Randa5 wrote:Sorry to be a pest, but I still have one unanswered question:

Could anyone ever get a list of the contents of my shared folder without first attempting to download something from me or by searching for something that by some chance I had?

If you put "see my shared files" to "nobody" then you don't have to worry about any of that. All of your files will still be visible to anyone, of course, but not as a single list.
Ratt

Postby Randa5 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:29 am

I don't recall ever setting the program to this option. But being that I was only on for one minute anyway in my final session (after dozens of multiple hour sessions) I'm probably fine.

Also, for those of you who have ever gotten IP letters...

1. How long do they take to process?
2. Would the IP whose name begins with a "V" send an e-mail out before they sent a postal letter?
Randa5

Postby Randa5 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:41 pm

I'm still sick over all of this.

I'm just so worried that the eDonkey site will send my IP address to the ISP or something. Or even worse, to the RIAA.

How could someone see if I was connected to eDonkey at the same time as I visited the website?

I've lost like five pounds worrying about this stuff. I'm almost thinking of calling my ISP and asking them if there have been any complaints from the RIAA or others lately just so I can rest.

And as for the tracking--do they only look for specific files? I had no movies, no current top 40 songs, no MS Office, etc in my download folder. Just a few remixes from Europe and one or two older songs (from the 70s or so) in my folder.

Will someone please help me here?
Randa5

Postby zim » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:54 pm

You need to go get drunk.

It's just not that big of a deal at all.

Your isp doesnt give a crap what you download. And they are the only ones who know who you are. and where you are. To get that information from them would take a court order. And a little more evidence than some crap edonkey site claiming anything at all.

they know their business is driven by illegal downloads. theres not that much legal content to fill a broadband connection. most of them have it right in their commercials too. download music and video blazing fast!

they will only pass along a letter if they get one. and point out that their terms of service that says you cant download illegal things anyways. this is called covering their ass legally.

they wont send it by email. it comes in the mail.

takes about two weeks if my letter and a friends were any example.

this is all irrevelant anyways. the edonkey site didnt send your ip to anyplace. its a scare tactic only. and it looks like it worked on you.

really... you should get off the internet completely. its not safe out here. and you're way too paranoid.
zim

Postby Randa5 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:58 pm

Thanks for all the help.

One last question and I'll leave you guys alone: Were your letters for music or movies?
Randa5

Postby zim » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:03 pm

Friend got his from hbo for sopranos...

They send out alot of those.

I just got one a week or so ago for a game.

By the time i'd gotten it. the game had been played and deleted too.. :lol:

I've also downloaded just about every game ever made in the last 5 years. First letter i got.
zim

Postby Randa5 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:05 pm

Yeah I sort of figured they went after movies and whatnot. From what I've read the movie guys seem to target more than anyone.

Anyone out there gotten subpoenaed by the RIAA without a warning first from an ISP?
Randa5

Postby HalOfBorg » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:24 pm

Randa5:
I know JUST how you feel - I've been there. All the worry, all the terror. I've DLd a lot of stuff, and still do - though at a MUCH lower rate. I keep my bandwidth limits lower so my ISP doesn't get bothered and I just hope. And run Peerguardian2. Not perfect - but nothing is. It's like wearing your seatbelts in the car. You're safeR.

I steer clear of movies and music since that SEEMS to be where the most lawsuits happen. With TV shows mostly seems to be 'nasty-grams' and you say sorry and go they go away. Mostly.

Keep up to date on info - with Slyck.com :)

(I DO try to let things UL for a time - if there are not many seeds.)

For older TV shows and movies - Netflix is great.
HalOfBorg

Postby Randa5 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:06 pm

Speaking of safeguards, since I have a Mac, could that have possibly made me safer? Is it possible they don't go after Mac users and their shared folders as much?

And furthermore, doesn't the RIAA have a policy where they have to warn someone first? I thought I remembered reading that on the net.

As for content--some remixes of Euro stuff (which isn't RIAA music anyway) and a few oldies where I know the original source count on eDonkey wasn't very high--wouldn't they be looking more to see if I had, say, Justin Timberlake in my folder if they even looked? Plus I only had like 15 files in there.
Randa5

Next

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet