Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

personal emule client closing down

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

personal emule client closing down

Postby wiggyuk » Tue May 23, 2006 8:56 am

Hi guys I was wondering if you could give me some advice, I am using eMule v0.47a MorphXT v8.10, I start it up connect to a server and everything is fine my downloads start downloading but then I leave my machine for a few hours and when I come back to it emule is no longer running it as closed it self down no errors or anything

P.S where do I get a server list from to load into emule ?
wiggyuk

Postby nikt » Tue May 23, 2006 9:10 am

You will find servers here , consider also switching to kad completely :wink:

If your problem isn`t happening very often you can use additional program which traces emule.exe process and restarts it when it crashes.
Get it from here

You can use this program both for making emergency backup of part.met files (although morph has this feature if I remember correctly) and restarting eMule.exe automatically.

Hmmm maybe eMule tools thread is not a bad idea ....
nikt

Postby wiggyuk » Tue May 23, 2006 10:01 am

nikt wrote:You will find servers here , consider also switching to kad completely :wink:

If your problem isn`t happening very often you can use additional program which traces emule.exe process and restarts it when it crashes.
Get it from here

You can use this program both for making emergency backup of part.met files (although morph has this feature if I remember correctly) and restarting eMule.exe automatically.

Hmmm maybe eMule tools thread is not a bad idea ....

1)How do I switch to KAD and what is KAD

2)If I use this program to auto restart emule how do I get it to connect to the best server. Because when I start emule I sort the servers by number of files and always try to connect to the server with the most files, is this the best way to log onto servers, or is the a server out there that I should always connect to regardless to how many files it says it as?
wiggyuk

Postby Artie » Tue May 23, 2006 10:12 am

By the title of this thread, I thought the eMule Project site was closing its doors from demand of the **AA or something. Funny how a newbie can throw people off like that.
Artie

Postby SlyckTom » Tue May 23, 2006 10:16 am

I thought the same thing. Edited the subject...
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby wiggyuk » Tue May 23, 2006 10:51 am

Sorry to get your knickers in a twist guys
wiggyuk

Postby nikt » Tue May 23, 2006 10:55 am

eMule uses 3 ways to search for sources which are peers you download from , there are :
- indexing servers
- kad (serverless , decentralized network)
- source exchange between clients

"Switch to kad" means just to stop connecting to servers , because in most cases there are not necessary at all... To connect to kad network you just have to go to "kad" tab in emule , and click on connect , while you have open / forwarded UDP port for eMule.

You`ll find more info here

ed2k servers give you benefit of slightly faster searches but nothing more , while using both networks ( kad & servers ) can cause overhead (wasted bandwith)

It does not matter which server you connect to because they work together , and you search on all of them.Only important thing is to avoid fake / spy servers , but if you use list provided above that will be no issue.

However you can choose preferred server in case of disconnecting / restarting emule. Just add those you like most to static list (right click on them in "server" tab) give`em high priority and go to options -> servers and set only to connect to static servers and not to update serverlist automatically , check also in options -> connection if box "reconnect on loss" / "connect on startup" are checked - they should be in this case.
nikt

Postby wiggyuk » Tue May 23, 2006 11:21 am

Cheers Nik
wiggyuk

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet