Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

eDonkey2000 weirdness

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

eDonkey2000 weirdness

Postby jez » Wed May 10, 2006 3:00 pm

OK maybe this is a known problem, but try going into eDonkey and use the inbuilt search to search for EDIT: Reference to copyrighted works removed - HC

I see hundreds of matches come up, all with nearly but not quite 255 availability. When I try and download them, not 1 byte is downloaded, it just sits on 'Looking'.

Now this looks like a ploy to me, maybe by someone like the RIAA, to spam the network and stop you downloading MP3s. Is this a known problem and if so, how do you get around it?

Oh, and before anyone mentions it, yes this is illegal. RIAA fanboys can go hang, I don't want to hear it.
jez

Postby Hypnotoad » Wed May 10, 2006 3:06 pm

The status of looking is normal with eDonkey as you are waiting in the queues of other users.

You need to make sure you have your network settings set properly within the client, and that your status is reachable
Hypnotoad

Postby jez » Wed May 10, 2006 3:21 pm

I am reachable, and yeah I know that downloads often take a while to start but this is different. The availability is massive and it's sitting there on 'Looking', with no actual clients coming up for that download. I left it on all night and all the downloads were still like that. Something is definitely up.
jez

Postby P2P_G » Wed May 10, 2006 3:39 pm

Try to download a file with less searches? because those with many searches can be fake, but there isn't much fakes on eD2k, not many as in kazaa hehe 8)
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby OmegaGreg » Wed May 10, 2006 3:42 pm

SlyckTom wrote:10) No copyrighted web/hash/NZB links or requests. Do not post or reference any copyrighted web/hash/NZB links to files that exist on networks such as BitTorrent, eDonkey2000 or Usenet. In addition, do not request such files. Slyck is not a indexing/request site for these networks.

Instead, say I was trying to get a file, or even song and the download will not start.

Try intstalling and unistalling. Or if you want try using eMule.
OmegaGreg

Postby P2P_G » Wed May 10, 2006 3:52 pm

OmegaGreg wrote:
SlyckTom wrote:10) No copyrighted web/hash/NZB links or requests. Do not post or reference any copyrighted web/hash/NZB links to files that exist on networks such as BitTorrent, eDonkey2000 or Usenet. In addition, do not request such files. Slyck is not a indexing/request site for these networks.

Instead, say I was trying to get a file, or even song and the download will not start.

Try intstalling and unistalling. Or if you want try using eMule.

Yeah just try eMule ;) the kad network is very good, has more than 1 million users at any time given :D
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby Iron » Thu May 11, 2006 7:18 pm

Those are fake files. Using eMule will not help.
Iron

Postby yaveznodo » Thu May 11, 2006 7:49 pm

Maybe they've instituted a 'taste' filter. Try searching for Englebert Humperdink, if the same happens, you'll know it's the 'taste' filter in full effect.

/jk
yaveznodo

Postby IceCube » Thu May 11, 2006 11:03 pm

You are avoiding fake servers, right? Because fake servers are known to cause "unexplainable" problems.
IceCube

Postby IneptVagrant » Sat May 13, 2006 1:54 am

They aren't spaming the network, nor stoping you from dling. They just put alot of clients on the network that don't participate, and just take up room. When you 'ask' for more clients, they say high, and you learn to deal with it.

PeerGuardian or Protowall using a decent list like this one does a fair job of filterin out bad clients as well as bad servers. Of course its not perfect. eMule has an option to do the filtering with the above list, w/o using 3rd party software like PeerGuardian or Protowall.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet