Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

I am new to ed2k

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

I am new to ed2k

Postby nicklinus » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:34 am

Hi I am new this, I am more of a news group guy my self but I like to try other options. I have been playing around with the edonkey network, I have used both emule and edonkey2000. Because I am new I don't know if this is normal or not so i fugured i would ask. I am only geting speeds of like 30-60 KB/s, is this normal. If this is normal why would anyone wan't to use thins over usenet. From my expirences with edonkey so far it just looks like a worse version of bit torrent that uses different ports. Thanks for any help!
nicklinus

Postby who_me » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:36 am

main thing with edonkey network is file life.... u van virtually find anything regardless of age.. try that with BT or NG's...

and yes... speed is slow... gues su cant have ur cake and eat it too ;/
ADVERTISING SPACE
FOR SALE.
who_me

Postby nicklinus » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:46 am

yea ok so you are saying if I am looking for a older file to use this. But doesnt it work just like a torrent where if no one is seeding it then no one gets it. Or why is it that ed2k files live longer than torrents? Thanks
nicklinus

Postby bitz » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:00 pm

Those are some very good questions. Yes why anyone would use ed2k anymore is a good question, then again people still use kazaa's network and clients.

To me file life is a really poor reason to pick ed2k over well most other p2p. The network and clients are far more outdated than bittorrent, they lack critical newer features and the protocol is just very stale.

When it comes to p2p, there are some things you need to understand. Mostly they tend to be outdated and have poor performance compaired to newsgroups, bittorrent and other such things. Even with all thier problems and threats users of those networks face, they still are well populated with peers.

At this point I understand that these clients and networks will likely continue to be used for a long time, unless through wide spread use of traffic shaping and filtering by isp's they become too disrupted (which of lately is looking like a distinct possibility). So on that note, instead of changing the clients and protocols we could simply change the content. Transform it sort of like how freenet does, into shared data store files. Freenet's major problem has never been that transformation, it has always been the networking it uses. So instead of using that horrible networking, why not use the existing p2p and other protocols?

Sure that would make many people very unhappy. They like using their clients search features to find content, they get warm fuzzy feelings over such things. However with fakes, corrupted files and other problems, the search features really do not work all that great. There is such a high amount of pollution in the results that there is no real logic to justify holding onto such a poor feature.

If for example it were replaced with massive verifieds sites and content indexes, then would that not work out better? Granted we already have such sites but they tend to be vulnerable and or restrictive.

For static content like videos, pictures, archives, using a distributed data store does make more sense than sharing the content normally over the existing networks. Often doing it the current way, is not only risky and prone to problems, it also does not take advantage of many resources that could be used. Such as isp's caches. Many isp's do not run such caches because they do not want them abused by filesharing, not only that but they would get into legal trouble for allowing filesharers to use them. Imagine if only the distributed data store files were being shared through p2p and other networks, isp's could safely cache these files and thus average per peer transfer speeds would be much better.

Granted using such a data store for highly dynamic content would not make sense, other solutions do exist such as i2p, which could be used instead.

Well anyways people will continue to use ed2k and other p2p.

I do think the best comprimise is to use a distributed data store solution with existing networking, clients and servers, not its own like freenet does.

That way users can use whatever software and clients to do the actual transfers and sharing, they are only bound to using the data store software for inserting and extracting content from the distributed data store.

Continuing as we have been, by directly using the p2p clients and other software to share content, just has too many problems, that much should be clear to anyone.
bitz

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:19 pm

i'm a bit confused here. it would seem to me that longer file life translates into better selection. in that case, i think it's anything but a "really poor reason" to use something.

certainly, there are other factors involved, which you have discussed. but most people's main concern is finding what they are looking for. i am not discounting your arguments about the downsides - but that doesn't make a single positive asset any less positive.

the fact is, most people won't use any system, no matter how secure and not "stale" its protocol is, if they can't find what they were looking for with it.
MrFredPFL

Postby Gausselimination » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:40 pm

the thing with ed2k is that you will "find" almost anything you're looking for. on the other hand, "getting" those files may take an age or never finish at all.
Gausselimination

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:44 pm

well, i've never used it, and i have heard before that it's slow. however, since i'm on dialup, i can only smile when i hear ppl talk about how slow ed2k is ;)

in any event, a slow file is better than no file :)
MrFredPFL

Postby nicklinus » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:50 pm

ok, thanks for everyones input but this still does not explain why the file last longer on ed2k.
nicklinus

Postby Hypnotoad » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:04 pm

It's because people share them for longer. As eD2k servers do not host files, that can be the only reason.
Hypnotoad

Postby who_me » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:38 pm

Hypnotoad wrote:It's because people share them for longer. As eD2k servers do not host files, that can be the only reason.

ur half right... the files r shared longer because it takes longer to dl em... with bt u dl the files in a day or 2... most users pull there files after there done.... ed2k may take 4 times as long to dl the same file so they end up getting shared longer.......
ADVERTISING SPACE
FOR SALE.
who_me

Postby IneptVagrant » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:41 pm

I like to beleive files are shared longer on eMule because a user that is willing to speed 3 days to download a file, it willing to keep that file shared indeffiently.

Also, its ez to share multiple files on eMule without allocating all your upload bandwidth to a single file or set of related files. IE share 500+ files

At any rate, if you can find a file on BT, or usenet it will always be faster than eMule, but if the file is older than say 6 months, eMule is the eziest way to find an origanal copy of it. Instead of the 8 times repackaged copy.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby nicklinus » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:59 pm

ok thanks for all the help!
nicklinus

Postby IceCube » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:41 am

Just remember that the option to use eMule is there as well. ;)
IceCube

Postby tm, » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:37 am

To illustrate an example of ED2K's file longevity, just search ED2K for Gowenna - as you can do on http://www.eMugle.com - and you will see pages and pages of results. Gowenna.da.ru was in operation from August to November 2001, until the name changed to ShareReactor, so all those files you see are at least four and a half years old since the time they were released on the ed2k network.

Downloading old files on ED2K generally takes much longer than recently released files, since the people sharing them tend to have accumulated vast amounts of shared files (more shared files = more demand = longer queues) and will have very long queues often numbering in the thousands.

But if you use a ED2K release site (like those on the left margin of Slyck) and download a new release that was recently posted, these generally download quite fast. You can often max out a slower broadband connection, such as 256Kbits/s, with just one downloading file if you time it right.

Another reason for generally slow downloads is because eMule gives highest priority to the rarest files. By comparison, BitTorrent tends to self-eliminate its rare files, and achieves its speed by greatly limiting file selection, concentrating more bandwidth to service fewer files.

To use ed2k effectively, it's best to stay online 24/7 and load up several files to download. If you're not in a hurry, it's a great P2P.
tm,

Postby ROODOG » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:19 am

I don't care about all the talk on speeds etc.I use many diff proggies to download but if you want a rare file you cannot beat emule or the donkey.If a rare file is not on emule then you will not find it at all.Start a download then go to work and emule will be happily chugging along getting you that rare file that is good as gold.If you find what you need with many seeds on bt than logic says grab it quick.
Wanti Wanti Can't Getti
Getti Getti No Wanti
ROODOG

Postby Ratt » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:33 am

ROODOG wrote:If a rare file is not on emule then you will not find it at all.

Ain't that the truth. It's not like I don't try: I periodically search Gnutella and the other networks. But if something can't be located with Emule, then 99% of the time it can't be located anywhere at all.

And while a beginner may settle for popular files, I think it's natural to become more discerning over time, and to start looking for the rarer stuff. Which means that all roads - except the one for more speed - lead to the ED2K network.
Ratt

Postby IceCube » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:18 pm

Yeah, I'll never forget the one time I was searching for three albums and was only able to collect them one track at a time. I had to collaberate with people using things like FastTrack, SoulSeek, Ares, Gnutella and Gnutella 2. I eventually found about 95% of all the tracks. One was found on another network and the last one had to be ripped off of a CD someone just somehow miraculously had (the band discontinued since the late 90's) I packed it all together into a nice discography and let people find and download the thing. To say the least, the response to it was quite positive. You know you have something rare when even though only 6 or 7 people ever downloaded the pack from you, at least 4 of them actually tracked you down and thanked you. Oh yeah, it was all done on the ED2K network. ;)
IceCube

Postby LaX » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:10 am

IceCube wrote:Yeah, I'll never forget the one time I was searching for three albums and was only able to collect them one track at a time. I had to collaberate with people using things like FastTrack, SoulSeek, Ares, Gnutella and Gnutella 2. I eventually found about 95% of all the tracks. One was found on another network and the last one had to be ripped off of a CD someone just somehow miraculously had (the band discontinued since the late 90's) I packed it all together into a nice discography and let people find and download the thing. To say the least, the response to it was quite positive. You know you have something rare when even though only 6 or 7 people ever downloaded the pack from you, at least 4 of them actually tracked you down and thanked you. Oh yeah, it was all done on the ED2K network. ;)

What music do you listen to?
LaX

Postby Ratt » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:24 am

When looking for individual tracks, or a single image, or a specific text file, I'll grant you: you can get lucky on the other networks. But for video, large archives or programs? Fuggedaboutit.
Ratt

Postby IceCube » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:41 pm

LaX wrote:
IceCube wrote:Yeah, I'll never forget the one time I was searching for three albums and was only able to collect them one track at a time. I had to collaberate with people using things like FastTrack, SoulSeek, Ares, Gnutella and Gnutella 2. I eventually found about 95% of all the tracks. One was found on another network and the last one had to be ripped off of a CD someone just somehow miraculously had (the band discontinued since the late 90's) I packed it all together into a nice discography and let people find and download the thing. To say the least, the response to it was quite positive. You know you have something rare when even though only 6 or 7 people ever downloaded the pack from you, at least 4 of them actually tracked you down and thanked you. Oh yeah, it was all done on the ED2K network. ;)

What music do you listen to?

A lot of rare and indie music. There's nothing in the main stream that I like anymore.
IceCube

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet