Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Pissed off with Edonkey2k clients and lack of UPnP!

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Pissed off with Edonkey2k clients and lack of UPnP!

Postby valiant » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:39 pm

I'm probably going to get seriously flamed for this post but the lack of UPnP support in Edonkey2k client programs is getting beyond a joke.

Fact 1) The Edonkey2k network is the most popular P2P network on the net (if you believe the Slyck stats).....(although BitTorrent is probably more popular).....ok, so second most popular network.

Fact 2) The days are long gone when the majority of people using P2P networks are computer techies. Most people using P2P networks are not technically knowledgeable. They expect to be able to download a P2P client, click and go.

Fact 3) The days when most broadband users connected with a USB modem are fast disappearing. With the increasing popularity of wireless technology a majority of home users are now opting for routers. Routers use NAT technology. USB modems generally don't. NAT technology means having to setup port forwarding; USB modems don't.

Fact 4) Port forwarding is a complexity that most non-technical users don't understand so they end up with a 'low id' on most Edonkey2k clients. Port forwarding is a pain in the ass, even for techies.

Fact 5) UPnP negates the need to set up port forwarding. It's basically click-and-go.

So.....can someone tell me WTF most Edonkey clients (apart from Edonkey itself) don't implement UPnP? I keep seeing references to the potential insecurity implications of UPnP but I've yet to see one trojan or virus exploit it.

So for Gawd Almighty's sake, can the developers of clients such as Emule and Emule Plus get their fingers out.........or at least tell me why supporting UPnP is such a low priority?

Valiant
valiant

Postby bluestate american » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:52 pm

I've had a few beers, so I think I know what I'm talking about.....

1. get ye a sacrificial machine

2. secure the f** out of it and do not enable any kind of file or folder sharing on it.

3. install antivirus, etc on it.

4. assign it a fixed ip

5. place it in the dmz using the router software

6. use the windows firewall and open access ONLY for your filesharing program.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
"If anybody needs me, I'll be in the clock tower"

- Wooldoor Sockbat
bluestate american

Postby zbeast » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:16 pm

zbeast

Postby Allied » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:19 pm

A Slyck Article from a few months back about eDonkey wrote:UPnP support. You should automatically become reachable if your router supports UPnP. It can be disabled in options.
upnp command to force UPnP test

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=839
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby valiant » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:04 am

Well, with respect, this is utter tosh and here's why:

The first link goes to a web page that was last updated almost a year ago. Even then, the thrust of the article is to say that Microsoft leaves UPnP running by default and that this is a potential security risk for standalone PC's not connected to a router. It DOES NOT say that using UPnP on a PC connected to a router poses any risk. Most routers have a firewall. And, in any case, nothing in the article would make a case for refusing to implement UPnP on something like a P2P client. If necessary the UPnP functionality could be turned off by default (as implemented in Bitcomet for example). The potential security risk that's indentified is associated with Windows XP. Whether applications choses to use uPnP or not poses no extra risk.

The second link gives instructions for setting up UPnP manually. But why should people have to do that when it could be easily incorporated as an option in the client itself?

I think you may be right though; I get the impression that some urban myth is doing the rounds that implementing UPnP in a client poses some kind of security risk. The reality is that it's a concern based on sheer ignorance of the facts.

Valiant
valiant

Postby nikt » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:45 am

You can find a client with UPnP support via this link :

ed2k://|file|Emule%20v0.47A%20Snake%20v ... 641A3932|/

There is a normal webpage to download from , but since its password protected and the password is listed on Snake`s forum wchich is unfortunately unavailable at the moment - ed2k link will get you a non protected .rar

Though snake is considered a "leecher" client it`s up to user to decide wchich features will be used - there is no possibility to turn off the upload or sth , and many options included in this mod are very usefull.

As for UPnP i do not use it , but it`s there so i hope this will help you as well as other features (antivirus support , win firewall support , SLS , Drop sources etc...)
nikt

Postby bitz » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:16 pm

upnp is just one of the features ed2k clients are lacking. Protocol encryption is another. Granted emule has a dht already, it still supports servers and depends on them for bootstraping to the dht.

Maybe instead of having multiple dht networks for each p2p network, just one could be used. Possibly even for more than just p2p networks. Is there any good reason to have multiple dht networks, don't they all do just about the same thing?
bitz

Postby Andu » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:45 pm

Several eMule mods have UPnP and the devs of eMule already said they will introduce UPnP sooner or later. They just want to do it properly so it might take a bit till you see it in the official client.
Andu

Postby nikt » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:22 pm

Andu wrote:

Several eMule mods have UPnP and the devs of eMule already said they will introduce UPnP sooner or later. They just want to do it properly so it might take a bit till you see it in the official client.

Personally I doubt they will ....

There are sooooo many features developed & working fine already but not in original eMule client , only mod devs seem to be making any progress at all.

One example : Fake check , it doesn`t even require coding to make it available to anyone , but putting 2 lines of text in webservices.dat is way too much of a problem :twisted:

For any person who would like to add such a feature to original client , a quick guide :

- open webservices.dat (you can find it in emule/config directory) in notepad or any other text editor , alternatively go to options - general - edit webservices

- add those two lines of text :

DF - Fake Check,http://donkeyfakes.net/fakes.php?hash=#hashid&size=#filesize

DF - Fake Report,http://donkeyfakes.net/report.php?hash=#hashid&size=#filesize&name=#filename

- save ( ctrl + s)

- now you`ve got new two options in webservices ( when you click on any file in transfer or files tab) , first for checking if file is ok , second for submitting info about a fake file to database

Rather usefull don`t you think ?

But why isn`t it already implemented ?! Most mods already have this feature and many many others....
nikt

Postby gomez » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:40 pm

Thanks nikt i didn't know you could do this ;)
gomez

Postby P2P_G » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:49 pm

gomez! how can you have a picture like that? remove it !
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby bluestate american » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:07 pm

guess I should stop making my mohammed avatar then.....
"If anybody needs me, I'll be in the clock tower"

- Wooldoor Sockbat
bluestate american

Postby in_hiding » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:31 pm

as I am about to start connecting via a router, I would like to know which mods support UPnP.

I checked the Features page at emule-mods, but it doesn't deal with UPnP.

Any suggestions?
in_hiding

Postby nikt » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:40 pm

In hiding wrote:

Any suggestions?

You can find one here and support for it here

If I`m not mistaken there were also pHoeniX & Neomule having this feature.You will probably find them here
nikt

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet