Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

RazorBack taken down by the police

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

RazorBack taken down by the police

Postby deadman » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:33 am

http://www.ratiatum.com/news2874_Les_se ... aisis.html

With more than one million users, the largest waiter eDonkey/eMule of the world, Razorback, east was gone this morning in the hands of the Belgian federal police force. Two of its administrators remain injoignables per hour when we write these lines.

We have only very few information. The whole of the waiters of Razorback were seized this morning towards 10H by the Belgian federal police force. Although Razorback association domiciled in Switzerland, it is in Belgium that the system main part was installed. Razorback did not lodge any illegal contents and even took part very actively in the diffusion of legal contents such as those of our chain of remote loading of software or the free musics of Jamendo.

The waiter used for eMule and eDonkey was nevertheless an index of million files exchanged on the networks peer-to-peer, including one great part were illicit. The principal administrator of Razorback had indicated in the past that it was ready with blacklister the files brought back to him by the holders of royalties, but it never had any answer. Finally the whole of the material was seized this morning, indicates a source close to Razorback to us, while two administrators of the waiter remain injoignables at this beginning of afternoon.

Razorback tried to reconcile legality and P2P while taking part in many legal projects, by providing the stastic invaluable ones for the cabinets of marketing, and by diffusing paying files protected by DRM, for the account of content providers.

But especially, the disappearance of Razorback will not change absolutely anything for the million users eMule, who profit already since from very many months of a network entirely decentralized baptized "Kad".

We will inform you as soon as we will have more information.
deadman

Postby tay_highfield » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:36 am

I seriously hope this isn't true...I love my emule and Razorback!
Should really think of something to put here.
tay_highfield

Postby Wolfie » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:48 am

It's true :(
I wondered what happened to the server list this morning.. only the RI** "versons" of Razorback are running and network population appears to have shrunk to a mere 3 million.

The razorback url redirects to a french language discussion forum which appears to confirm above posted story.
http://sd1239.sivit.org/raz/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1
Wolfie

Postby lordpake » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:48 am

We always have Kademlia, time to finally use it, people.
lordpake

Postby P2P_G » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:59 am

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOO!!! DAMN!!! :( :( :( IT WAS THE BEST SERVER EVER! :( :( :( :'(
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby lordpake » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:03 pm

Yeah it was kinda an heir to the throne after Silent Bob (if anyone can remember it any longer..). I hope we hear soon some news from the ppl behind it.
lordpake

Postby P2P_G » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:10 pm

Which server is best now?(the one that has most users)? daaaaamn im so mad! i want Razorback back! :(
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby zbeast » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:18 pm

ok.. I was wondering what was going on.
I didn't see razorback any longer in my servers list.
zbeast

Postby lordpake » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:18 pm

P2P_G wrote:Which server is best now?(the one that has most users)?

In the end it does not matter that much. Just have it updating servers when connecting and see that your ipfilters keep bad servers out. That way you connect to some good server and when performing global searches you should find sources normally.
lordpake

Postby tay_highfield » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:28 pm

If you want to look on the positive side of things....

1. At least people may start to use Kad now a bit more as mentioned in a previous post, a very good network.
2. The 1 million+ users who previously connected to Razorback2 will disperse more evenly over the network. With the users spread more evenly the taking down of one server, such as Razorback2, won't have such a big effect.

Still not good news though :cry:
Should really think of something to put here.
tay_highfield

Postby swoosh » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:48 pm

gone with razorback is the server list http://www.gruk.org/server.met.gz :(
swoosh

Postby bitz » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:50 pm

So funny enough this is a major loss for corporate p2p and people doing marketing research. :P

Many of us just knew it was only matter of time before that server was shutdown though and so it is no big surprise, still sucks for its regular users though.

However they will continue on, while it would be best for them to just go straight to kad and stop using those servers, either way the loss is far less for them.

Also nothing is preventing someone else with a high speed connection and powerful system from running another major server. In fact they might even have ipfilter.dat, protowall or peerguardian or something like that filtering which addresses can connect. So this could be a very bad day for anti-piracy groups. Heck maybe someone will finally get off their butt and develop a high traffic tor network for filesharing and other such major applications. Then ed2k servers, dc and many others could end up running from within that network. With some changes to the clients they could also run from within that network as well.

That would really suck for those unfriendly groups. :)
bitz

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:01 pm

There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet