Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Avoiding spyware with new version of ED2k

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Avoiding spyware with new version of ED2k

Postby althanis » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:38 am

Hi, I've been using an older version of EDonkey2000 for the longest while and it's been working really great. I cant find the version number anywhere.

About a week ago it started becoming really slow or didnt connect at all, and now it says it's an outdated version I need to upgrade.

However, I'm not too eager to upgrade to the newest version because of all the (I think) compulsory spyware.

I've used eMule but for some reason it's not as fast as Ed2K.

Is there an alternative version of ED2k that I could use that doesn't have spyware?
Last edited by althanis on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
althanis

Postby ToM » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:51 am

New eDonkey's don't come bundled with spyware. You might get a setup dialogue asking you to install an optional toolbar, just say no to it.
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby Mrs. 2p » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:51 am

Forum Rules wrote:12) Starting a new thread intelligently. When asking for assistance on a particular topic, please use a descriptive subject to illustrate your situation. Please avoid the following generic examples:

"Help Please!" or "Need Help! or "OMG WTF!111"

Instead, be descriptive and concise. If you are having problems with a BitTorrent client, make sure your subject contains the pertinent information. For example:

"BitLord Has Trouble Connecting." or "BitComet Freezes During Start Up."

If you fail to comply with the set forth rules, the moderation and administration reserve the right to remove your post without notice.

besides, I don't think ed2k has compulsory spyware. It has always been optional. Quite on the contrary, there was talk of possible opening of source at some point... :?
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby LaX » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:57 am

Strange. The eDonkey comments says otherwise.
LaX

Postby rogue1021 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:03 pm

The newest version forces you to install WhenU adware.

Unless you buy the pro version.
rogue1021

Postby bitz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:27 pm

Why even use edonkey2000 when there is emule?

I suppose you must really want to connect with overnet, however just know that other edonkey2000 users are sooner or later going to move on to using emule or something else.
bitz

Postby Mrs. 2p » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:31 pm

because he noted that he gets faster speeds on ed2k. :roll:

however, that may be due to a host of reasons. perhaps you should go with emule, and read up on how to correctly configure the client :idea:

BTW, still no change in thread title....
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Mrs. 2p

Postby LaX » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:33 pm

'Problem with eDonkey' seems good enough for me.. :roll:
LaX

Postby Mr. Alzheimer » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:37 pm

Where's that guy who kept spamming "eDonkey Lite" all over the forums when you really need him? Anyone remember the link?

This one looks a little promising, but it doesn't work for me...
Mr. Alzheimer

Postby Mrs. 2p » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:43 pm

LaX wrote:'Problem with eDonkey' seems good enough for me.. :roll:

something along the lines of "avoiding ed2k ad/spyware", "upgrading ed2k without ad/spyware", "spyware/adware free ed2k clients", "clean ed2k alternatives" would me more like it.... problem with eDonkey can mean just about anything, and is comparable to "PC not working".
Mrs. 2p

Postby LaX » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:46 pm

Ah, I see your point now. That would be better.

althanis, if you arent sure how to change your subject title, edit your first post and change the subject there. Hopefully you are still here :P
LaX

Postby chicken_boo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:00 pm

Check this out, it's the thread on the eDonkey forum discussing the WhenU business; towards the bottom someone's posted the hash for the last version of eDonkey not to be bundled with the WhenU software, i've been using it since then and i've still had good speeds and no malware has been installed on my system.

Alternatively, someone else mentions in the same thread that you can install the current version of eDonkey (with WhenU) and then use Spybot or something similar to completely uninstall the 'badness'.
"Conscience, in most men, is but the anticipation of the opinions of others." Henry Taylor
chicken_boo

Postby althanis » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:32 pm

Mrs. 2p, thanks for the correction, my bad. I actually went out for lunch and I just came back in to see 11 replies, thanks for being so quick everyone.

Chicken_boo, thanks a lot, you've been most helpful!

I suppose my problem is eMule is the setup, as many people are using it quite effectively, but I'm really not sure how to fix the slow speeds that I have. I usually have 100+ sources for anything I'm trying to download, and most of the time I'm uploading close to the cap that I've set (about 75% the max speed that I dl at).

Anyway, that's another topic entirely.
althanis

Postby Mrs. 2p » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:39 pm

thanks for correcting that :D

as for emule, you may want to take a look here: http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/help.cgi?l=1
Mrs. 2p

Postby Hypnotoad » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:13 am

If you are not online when you install eDonkey, the spyware will not be installed.
Hypnotoad

Postby chicken_boo » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:06 pm

You're quite right, Hypnotoad, i've just downloaded eDonkey again from the website and installed it and there was no mention of WhenU, I even did a scan with AdAware, Spybot and AntiVir and my system was clean, although this wasn't the case to begin with.

When MetaMachine originally included the WhenU adware with eDonkey it was pre-bundled with the installer so you didn't have any choice on the matter, whether you were online or not.

I did try to install eDonkey while online and I noticed that the process conveniently skips ahead when it reaches the adware warnings and goes straight to the optional plug-ins; you have to click 'Back' in order to see the screen warning of the installation of WhenU.
"Conscience, in most men, is but the anticipation of the opinions of others." Henry Taylor
chicken_boo

Postby in_hiding » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:55 pm

good to see there's a way to avoid the adware in the GUI client. I was considering installing the command-line client as a way of not getting WhenU.
in_hiding

Postby theinfinitepizza » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:03 am

hey, sorry chicken_boo I didnt quite understand your post.

Are you saying that you download the 1.4 ed2k version DISCONNECT from the net and then install it?

Because i dont want the spyware instailled, and didnt really understand your way of skipping it.

thanx for any clarification you can give me.
theinfinitepizza

Postby chicken_boo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:35 am

theinfinitepizza wrote:hey, sorry chicken_boo I didnt quite understand your post.

Are you saying that you download the 1.4 ed2k version DISCONNECT from the net and then install it?

Because i dont want the spyware instailled, and didnt really understand your way of skipping it.

thanx for any clarification you can give me.

That's right theinfinitepizza, download the installer from the website then switch off your modem/router/etc. and then run the installer and you should be malware free (credit goes to Hypnotoad for pointing this out). It's been a few weeks since I last installed eDonkey but I don't imagine much has changed since then.
chicken_boo

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet