Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

strange phone call

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

strange phone call

Postby dougie123 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:11 am

Hi....not sure if ive posted this in correct place or not as im new here..here goes.....switched on pc this morning..10 minutes later a phone call from someone who said he was from microsoft server or something similar..his accent was indian and i had some difficulty deciphering him but the git of his message was.."there is something wrong with your pc....he instructed me to go to "event management" which i did and it showed 267 errors and warning messages....he said you have got a virus a bad one etc and eventually your pc will crash....we will help you remove these viruses etc etc......anyway i told him that i didnt know who hewas and im wasnt giving him access (which is what hed mentioned earler).......seemed pretty strange to me....would microsoft phone someone to tell them they had a virus?
regards
dougie123

Re: strange phone call

Postby GrymRpr » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:44 am

Just because you have events listed does not mean you have a virus/whatever.
If you have an anti-virus solution... run a full scan. If not give microsoft security essentials a try http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx

As far as the phone call... that would worry me as I'm pretty sure MS Didn't call you
SlyckNick: wrote:
I abhor what slonceck and suprnova have now become.

The Worst thing to happen to any O.S.?
The GUI!
GrymRpr

Postby dougie123 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:50 am

Thanks for reply grympr......The phone call would worry you? could you elaborate as to your thoughts on that?
regards
dougie123

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:19 am

It's a well-used money-making scam.

They phone people (from India) and try to frighten them into parting with money to 'help' them. I've had a number of customers receive these calls. Fortunately they also had the sense to reject any assistance from the caller and to call me instead. In every case I found no infections on the PCs in question.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby GrymRpr » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:31 am

@HouseCrowd:
I 'm gonna guess this is something that goes on in the UK? as I've not heard of this scam much less have any of my customers relate any story's like the above.

The phone call would worry you? could you elaborate as to your thoughts on that?

Sure.
here goes.....switched on pc this morning..10 minutes later a phone call from someone who said he was from microsoft server or something similar

With-in 10 min's of firing up the PC they are calling you. So, that's either a coincidence or ...
But I'll H.C. Answer you as He seems to know more about this than I

The GUI!
GrymRpr

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:41 am

GrymRpr wrote:@HouseCrowd:
I 'm gonna guess this is something that goes on in the UK? as I've not heard of this scam much less have any of my customers relate any story's like the above.

It certainly seems common in the UK:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ju ... ll-centres

I doesn't seem to be limited to the UK, though how common it is in other parts of the World, I don't know. It looks like they're hitting Ozzies too ...
http://www.microsoft.com/australia/pres ... phone-scam

I would guess that the call just after turning on the computer was a complete coincidence.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby dougie123 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:53 am

Well, thanks all.....the press cutting details included were pretty much the same as i experienced during the call...though he never asked for money ,having said that i ended phone call before he had the chance.......i was wondering whether tactics like that might have been employed by anti p2p investigators,but it seems its a well used scam.......my mind rests a bit easier cos of the replies...thanks again.
dougie123

Postby GrymRpr » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:59 am

Thanks for the links H.C.
So this just adds some social engineering to the old Your Computer has a VIRUS bit.
:roll:

The GUI!
GrymRpr

Postby jokster » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:01 am

this scam has been going on for a fair while in the UK
the main give away is since when did microshaft care about their customers? - really now
Capitalism Is Cannibalism
Resistance is fertile
jokster

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:23 am

jokster wrote:the main give away is since when did microshaft care about their customers? - really now

Good point! :lol:
HouseCrowd

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion