Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

New York Times Requires Registration Now

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

New York Times Requires Registration Now

Postby sunnyd » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:54 am

The New York Times is now requiring registration to view content, it's still free once you register (for now), but not everyone will be willing to do that. This is not a cookie issue any longer, because until today, I was able to view content and submit articles with no issues. I did the free registration, and personally I have not tried bugmenot, nor did I ever need it, but not everyone will want to use that either just to read articles from this paper. So, no more NYT articles since posting the entire article for viewing here, is not an option. :( NYT is one of my favorite sources and since it's still free, I will still read the content, but I can't submit it any longer.

It now says this...
Enjoy Free Access
Just answer a few simple questions, select an ID and password, and you'll be all set.

I do know that in the past others had issues viewing content from there, but that was a cookie issue, and not a mandatory registration issue.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: New York Times Requires Registration Now

Postby luxor500 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:23 pm

NYT is one of my favorite sources and since it's still free, I will still read the content, but I can't submit it any longer.
:banghead:
"If man can not solve this problem - I can..." Colossus
luxor500

Postby peewee007 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:54 pm

As I stated in another thread..Why pay for news when ya can get the same thing from another source ?
peewee007

Postby sunnyd » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:35 pm

This is not a paywall issue, the content is still free, it just requires a registration to view it.

I happen to like many of the NYT articles, and they often have one of a kind articles that are not available elsewhere. They have some very good writers imo.
sunnyd

Postby peewee007 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:36 pm

o - My bad
peewee007

Postby sunnyd » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:54 am

Arthur Sulzberger Jr.: “We Will Stop Printing The New York Times Sometime In The Future”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/arthur-s ... %E2%80%9D/ (article from September 9th)

On Wednesday, New York Times chairman and publisher Arthur Sulzberger Jr. dealt Luddites a blow by admitting that eventually, the Gray Lady will exist only virtually.

Sulzberger made these remarks at the WAN-IFRA’s 9th International Newsroom Summit, a conference being held yesterday and today in London. The publisher was there to deliver the keynote speech during a session about getting readers to pay for online content—the New York Times is slated to introduce a metered paywall on its website early next year.

Though Sulzberger’s statement may seem shocking, it shouldn’t surprise anyone who’s been following the plight of print media over the past decade. Mashable reports that the situation is rapidly growing more and more dire:
sunnyd

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion