Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

MAC address

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

MAC address

Postby Noise » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:11 pm

So, of what significance is this thing that is so (apparently) easy to spoof?

For some reason the person who told me about it (themselves being barely on the level of an average computer user, perhaps that's why) appeared very convinced it to be the holy grail of computer identification over the net... which I'm sure I would have heard of before, if it were the case? :?
Noise

Re: MAC address

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:47 pm

to say MAC address is the holy grail of computer identification is akin to saying locks cannot be picked. to spoof a MAC address simply requires knowledge not possessed by most users. picking locks is more difficult, in the sense it takes longer to become proficient at picking locks than it does to learn how to spoof a MAC address. also, picking locks requires specialized tools which are illegal in most places, whereas changing a MAC address requires tools which your operating system cheerfully provides to you.
MrFredPFL

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:33 am

Noise wrote:So, of what significance is this thing that is so (apparently) easy to spoof?

For some reason the person who told me about it (themselves being barely on the level of an average computer user, perhaps that's why) appeared very convinced it to be the holy grail of computer identification over the net... which I'm sure I would have heard of before, if it were the case? :?

I think you may be confusing MAC and IP addresses.

A MAC address is just a network 'device' address, and is used mainly as means of identifying directly connected devices. Many devices allow MAC spoofing to allow you to connect them to a network that restricts or configures access by MAC assignment. To make use of MAC spoofing to connect to such a network you would first need to know one of the assigned MAC addresses, in which case you're probably already an authorised network user or administrator.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby zbeast » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:48 am

http://windowstipoftheday.blogspot.com/ ... puter.html

Here's what you want to know..
as long as that device with the target mac address is not super busy.
If you have the right type of network card or soft interface.
you can add that mac to your card then again access to that wap.
If they are doing mac filtering only.

Look around there are tools that will do that for you automatically
If there is encryption on that network then this attract will fail.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby jacq222 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:05 pm

ccna certification chapter 3-physical and logical addressing-mac address

(it is better not to post a link online)

in simple words each manufacturer has a unique code and each pieces of equipment also.that interconnect
on networks-it is burn in.-a dac-multiplex-tdm-stp ect ect switches voice or data
as soon as you bring a piece of equipment online -even if not commissioned -it is recognize by the others-
you cannot sell or transfer to another country a part of equipment without advising a list (from fcc to manufacturer)
makes it hard to resell on black market ect ect part of ieee standard.

in the home computer world-your ethernet card has a mac address which is a ieee standard also-still burn in.on a rom
different from a motherboard identification code.

in the network world it is untouchable-parts of regulated procedure
in the home computer world-your own boxes at home is yours-you can change your ethernet card 2000 times
if you want
jacq222

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion