Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

14 Laptops 6 Desktops One home :S

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

14 Laptops 6 Desktops One home :S

Postby thorsonb » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:03 am

I just moved into a self maintained student house with 12 housemates.

We have ONE internet connections at 25mbps (but we would like to upgrate to 60mbps fiber)

But the recent 11 tenants (excluding me) have been complaining that when they use P2P software and download torrents the internet.. the internet goes down!, they also stated that the Switches/routers are a bit over worked and might need some re-configuration or something.

Here's the deal.

In total its 12 rooms, 14 laptops , 6 deskptops... we would like to just provide each room with a WIRED LAN/Cat5 internet connection! and if they want Wifi, they get their own Wifi router.

Question is how should this be wired?

things to take into note:

One internet line in
  • needs to be split into 12 separate wires
  • each person uses ALOT of internet each day (P2P and Torrents) (i'd say aproxx. 15 GB a week! per person)
  • Do we need routers or just switches to prevent the internet connecting from dropping when everyone it Downloading / Uploading..

We also have two (crappy) 8-port switches (that use DC adapter for a power supply)

Or perhaps u have a better solution?
thorsonb

Re: 14 Laptops 6 Desktops One home :S

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:12 pm

I suspect this may be random spam, but for the sake of giving some benefit of doubt, why don't you find out first if you are allowed to drill holes in ceilings, walls or floors from whomever owns the home that you are maintaining? :wink:
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: 14 Laptops 6 Desktops One home :S

Postby IneptVagrant » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:52 am

1st, seek a professional to install the wireing along side the cable tv.

2nd, use switches, routers will just crash from number of connections being opened by multiple p2p progs

3rd, use a PC as a gateway - always on. This PC replaces the router for the house. Either windows and ICS, to a switch, to everyone else. Or a unix box. Consumer routers dont' have the memory to handle multiple p2p progs at once

The alternative to step 3, is designate a single PC for p2p and setup a remote interface usually web based to add stuff to the p2p client. Then just share the finished downloads folder on the LAN. The primary benifit here, is that you don't have to worry about bandwidth competition among many uploaders in the same location.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion