Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

The Children Of Cyberspace: Old Fogies By Their 20s

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

The Children Of Cyberspace: Old Fogies By Their 20s

Postby sunnyd » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:19 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/weekinreview/10stone.html?ref=technology

By Brad Stone:
My 2-year-old daughter surprised me recently with two words: “Daddy’s book.” She was holding my Kindle electronic reader.

Here is a child only beginning to talk, revealing that the seeds of the next generation gap have already been planted. She has identified the Kindle as a substitute for words printed on physical pages. I own the device and am still not completely sold on the idea.

My daughter’s worldview and life will be shaped in very deliberate ways by technologies like the Kindle and the new magical high-tech gadgets coming out this year — Google’s Nexus One phone and Apple’s impending tablet among them. She’ll know nothing other than a world with digital books, Skype video chats with faraway relatives, and toddler-friendly video games on the iPhone. She’ll see the world a lot differently from her parents.

But these are also technology tools that children even 10 years older did not grow up with, and I’ve begun to think that my daughter’s generation will also be utterly unlike those that preceded it.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: The Children Of Cyberspace: Old Fogies By Their 20s

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:06 am

Ive been using PC's since i was 10 (now 21), but my little sister is only 13 and she probably knows as much as i do about technology, and she's not that much above average techwise for her age. We're becoming a world of geeks.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby luxor500 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:41 pm

In some respects it is wonderful to see what the world of hi-tech can do for us. But it is also scary. I go into stores and public place every day and I see folks milling about, ignoring each other - totally absorbed with their little hand-held thingees. Folks don't even acknowledge the presence of other folks staring in their face. I find this disturbing.
"If man can not solve this problem - I can..." Colossus
luxor500

Postby sunnyd » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Lol, when my son texts me from his car to say he is leaving (if I don't see him walk out the door), I text back that unless he is able to speak to me personally, he must be very ill, and therefore he really should stay home.

I am old school for manners, I DO believe in them, and the use of them. While it's great that there is an overwhelming amount of technology for our children (and ourselves) to learn, I can clearly see an enormous difference in how children of today show a lack of respect to others. In many situations, I see adults who act worse than children do in regard to showing consideration or manners while using their electronic devices.

Don't misunderstand me, I am thrilled with new technology, but I am not thrilled with watching children lose sight of the true values in life because things have been made too easy for them, or they are too distracted to pay attention to what is really important.

Bedtime story, oh, let's search the web for one and my smartphone (or laptop) will read it to you, but go get a magnifying glass to see the pictures. Laptop (or smart phone), take a note <talking laptop or phone responds back and acts appropriately>, Car...start, - all cars will be James Bond vehicles with "road rage" installed options. Texting will be abbreviated even more. (Is this even possible????) Homework assignments will be listened to through headphones while laying on the couch, and answers will be dictated.... no effort necessary.

Lol....there is just SO much out there to take in and absorb... every day, and imo, some of it is actually more difficult for our children as they face more and more peer pressure to "keep up".
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby luxor500 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:19 pm

...Like you said... :thumbup:

And it just seems that constantly squeezing your attention onto a tiny little screen can't be be psychologically healthy. At a young age we're training our kids to ignore the wider world. Maybe I'm wrong - I hope I am.
"If man can not solve this problem - I can..." Colossus
luxor500

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion