Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Formatting Question

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: Formatting Question

Postby Curmudgeon » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:31 pm

piglets222 wrote:it powers with a AC adapter with power cord... house used to be a old farm house... my room has one of the only 3 prong outlets... and everytime a fuse blows my ass gets yelled at

My bad. Rather than following your Amazon link I googled the drive,which took me to a USB powered one.

At any rate....you do have enough room for what you say you want to do.
Looking at that "TreeSize" pic everything seems to be ok, Documents and Settings has almost 21 gigs of something in there.
That is where you should focus on removing stuff,like I said before,check that the games you un-installed removed the saved games.
What format is all that music in?
Curmudgeon

Postby piglets222 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:32 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:
house used to be a old farm house... my room has one of the only 3 prong outlets...

ouch. i hope you don't have that wiring that's wrapped in cloth insulation :shock:

naw we got rid of that last yr,...
the microwave and fridge are still on 2/3 prong adapters... we keep the toaster unplugged cause running them at the same time... blows a fuse ::embarassed:: i never saw a two prong outlet till we moved here ::shakes head::

Curmudgeon wrote:
piglets222 wrote:it powers with a AC adapter with power cord... house used to be a old farm house... my room has one of the only 3 prong outlets... and everytime a fuse blows my ass gets yelled at

My bad. Rather than following your Amazon link I googled the drive,which took me to a USB powered one.

At any rate....you do have enough room for what you say you want to do.
Looking at that "TreeSize" pic everything seems to be ok, Documents and Settings has almost 21 gigs of something in there.
That is where you should focus on removing stuff,like I said before,check that the games you un-installed removed the saved games.
What format is all that music in?

music is in wma format, i know format snobs turn their nose up at it, but its half the size of mp3s and i find no problem with the quality
piglets222

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:40 pm

Yes..20 gigs on Docs and settings...I'd go through that one and see what's eating it all, could be a crapload of temp files that don't get deleted properly, uselessly eating your space.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby ntscuser » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:50 pm

piglets222 wrote:
MrFredPFL wrote:
house used to be a old farm house... my room has one of the only 3 prong outlets...

ouch. i hope you don't have that wiring that's wrapped in cloth insulation :shock:

naw we got rid of that last yr,...
the microwave and fridge are still on 2/3 prong adapters... we keep the toaster unplugged cause running them at the same time... blows a fuse ::embarassed:: i never saw a two prong outlet till we moved here ::shakes head::
Luxury!

The first house I ever lived in in England had no electricity at all upstairs. Downstairs was limited to lighting and a 5amp wall circuit. That was fed by a meter which took shilling coins. We could run a TV and radiogram and that was about it. Upstairs was lit by candles. The street outside was lit by gas, and this was in the middle of a major city!
:nopity:
ntscuser

Postby multivariable » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:58 pm

...and you used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue...
multivariable

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:04 pm

First house I lived in had electricity...and plumbing!

I win...
Paladwyn

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:29 pm

ok, this stoneage shit is scary. and people call ME preosoric :shock:

my pole barn has its own dedicated 100 amp service. i just put in a new 15 amp lighting circuit this week.

my basement also has its own 100 amp service, with 7 separate circuits - 2 @ 220v and 5 @ 110v.

the house itself is 100 amp as well, with 10 110v circuits and 3 220v.

sometime in the next year, i'll restore power to the garage too. but the new line will probably only be 110v. the garage is the slums here now :)
MrFredPFL

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:43 pm

I know alot of the rural areas out here don't have proper grounding. Plugging in a computer causes nasty feedback over the power lines.
Paladwyn

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Paladwyn wrote:I know alot of the rural areas out here don't have proper grounding. Plugging in a computer causes nasty feedback over the power lines.

wow. that's lame. if the power itself (or, as you canuckleheads call it, the hydro :lol: :P ) coming in is screwed up, there's nothing you can do about it. the ground is the one thing you DO have control of.
MrFredPFL

Postby Paladwyn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:33 am

I call it power :)

This was at one of the old farmsteads, where the power supply in the computer was causing feedback on the radio when the computer was on. I changed out the supply and it fixed itself, but not having proper grounding in the lines can cause havok in the rural areas. It's hard on power supplies when the power gets noisy...and they don't seem to get that.
Paladwyn

Postby curzlgt » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:17 am

not sure if your's will have it but HP/compaq have had a partition restore for several years. after turning it on keep tapping f10. if that works pick advanced options and "destructive restore".......
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby piglets222 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:50 pm

ok... been a bit busy... lets see... updates: yuh laugh it it about rural areas... lemme help you... right next to me is a police station, they got hit by lightening, and they didnt have any surge protectors and 40 of their computers went PSHHHHHT...

ok... that harddrive has not any partition

what i have done... with that treesize... i found a dr watson file... friggen 1+gig size file!! ::mad::

i also downloaded the ccleaner thing... and it dumped almost a gig of more logs... everything had a log... windows update had logs... avg had logs... shitload of java files even tho i had it set to not cache ::more mad::

so now I have about 6 gig to play around with

I did a backup 'image' of my harddrive onto a 750 gig external was funny the software they shipped with it was all trialware crap (Thank You westerndigital) so I found this software but... it wouldnt backup the whole drive >.< found another one that would... it worked I tested it the backup it made I can access the files, and copy them if I need something important

one weird thing it did tho in 'my computer' is listing 2 copys of my drive >.< they are not 'shortcuts' and show even with the external unplugged... I dunt know how to remove them >.< tho they dont seem to be doing any harm tis alittle weird ^.^
piglets222

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:33 pm

Lol, yes everything makes logs,.......keep using cccleaner on a regular basis. :wink: Looks like you made progress though, you got 3 gigs back. :)
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby Fartingbob » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:45 pm

Using a couple of cleaning programs like CCleaner and some common sense i recently managed to get my grandparents HDD from having 113MB of free space to 21.4GB free, on a 40GB drive. :) Its amazing how much crap old people install on their PC's. There must have been 500 programs installed from those awful PC magazines that come with a CD of trial stuff.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:10 pm

:lol: Bob, it's not limited to just old people, many people in general just don't pay attention and before they know it, they have 20 toolbars, and as you mentioned, numerous programs that are trial bs "download this", "try this", insert CD, etc. Perhaps you should have visited them sooner. :wink: To be honest, I have had to do this to several computers belonging to relatives, however, not all were older, lol.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Previous

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion