Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Formatting Question

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Formatting Question

Postby piglets222 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:33 pm

So Im thinking of formatting my desktop... its 5 yrs old, xp, compaq (no groans) with a 40 gig hd and im tired of fighting it for hd space! I have removed all my games, neverwinternights, the elder scrolls, black and white...diablo... finally cracked teh case and added more memory is still slow... but still stabler then meh vista

its down to one game, 15 gigs of music, msn/aim/yahoo messengers.. avg, firewall... couple other protections and im fighting it for 3 gigs >.<

yes, I have a 750 gig external... but I can only plug it in when needed which is annoying...

so im gonna back teh whole f'r up and give it teh formating it needs... my question is

it came with 'recovery' discs... not 'install' discs and I have heard that there is a difference... can I still format? whats my options, and anyone have a guide for a first timer formatting?
piglets222

Re: Formatting Question

Postby zbeast » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:54 pm

You really should buy a new hd before you bother putting all your software back.
100gig hd's are cheap. 160gig WD laptop drive from newegg $50.00.

As for recovery disks no you can't install from them.
They only work if you still have the xp disk image on the hidden partition of your drive.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby Paladwyn » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:44 pm

I agree...don't really bother with trying to work with that 40GB...get a bigger one, they are cheap. I am only saying this because you are saying you have space problems.

There may be a way to make a recovery disc from the partition on the hard drive...but it depends.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby Curmudgeon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:28 pm

I don't quite understand why you need to format.
Unless you have some serious virus/malware infestations.

Just stick another drive in,and away you go.
Curmudgeon

Postby piglets222 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:03 pm

buying a new drive isnt really an option... unemployed... and would be awhole other thread 'help me chose and install more hd' XD

the 40 gig should be big enough for what i need... just my music and one game, something keeps hogging up my space, i cant find it, and im tired of fighting over the 3 gigs left

i thought a clean format would give me a fresh start :(
piglets222

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:38 pm

try this utility first - tree size

this allows you to see how much space each folder/subfolder is using. why this ability is not inherent in windows is beyond me. maybe this way you will find where your missing disk space has gone, and maybe you won't need to format. :)
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:38 pm

Windows updates take a lot of space. I would hope you are on SP3 for your XP, if not, updating to SP3 would remove several old windows updates, consolidate and "clean up". You mention music, do you also use a burning program that is on there, that you did not mention, and if so, what? They often use a lot of space, especially Nero. Have you used a program to clean up all temp files? Use the tree size program that Fred mentioned, it is excellent at determining used space, then let us know what you find. There is a good program for temp file removal (you would be surprised at how many are there, just from installing programs, and they do not get removed from just uninstalling the programs). The program is called cccleaner and it is real easy to use, it knows what to remove.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby piglets222 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:58 am

try'd teh treefree... and it comes out about how i thought... music is taking up most room in documents at 10 gig and my game in program files... 3gigs... wow didnt know it was That big... hrm... found acouple of folders i dunno about... i worry im gonna get in there and nuke something i actually need : ( thats why i thought i'd format... i'd have everything i needed, could nuke everything else, and just add my music and game : (

so what would my recovery discs do as opposed to a format?

ty sunny yes, i know about temp files and have searched the hd for temp and .tmp i probably have several burner softwares... i have wmp, winamp, and realone, but i rarely burn, cause i have no need... i want to keep my music on the harddrive *sighs* frustration...

hrm... anyways... this is weird...

piglets222

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:48 am

i see nothing weird there. am i missing something? if you mean that search didn't find dc3.pdf, you had "case sensitive" checked, so it shouldn't have found it.
MrFredPFL

Postby piglets222 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:58 am

./facepalms

my excuse... its after midnite ^.^ sorrys ? ^.^

still tho why are my recovery discs useless for formatting?
piglets222

Postby povinho » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:24 am

Recovery disks come in many forms. Different makes and modesl, create different ones.

Some take the form of images/snapshots of the harddrive when the os was installed, others require the os to be already installed (so formating in this instance is not really an option).

I cannot comment on the recovery disks you have. Have you tried just loading them in to check the options?

Also, be aware that if you do format, you will not only have to install the operating system, but also any other software that you use. i.e. if you use msOffice, this will have to be reinstalled and will most likely not be on your recovery disk.

If I were you, I would try utilities like CCleaner to trim down and fix the registry.
povinho

Postby IneptVagrant » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:03 am

How much space do you want to free up?

There are several things to do to windows to free up space

Turn off System Restore (up to 10% of your drive)

Disable the paging file (1.5x your ram usually) and alot of times its not needed. The only prog I have used regularly that complains is adobe photoshop -- just depends how much ram you use when you get busy. I never go over 2gb

Compress windows/$hf_mig$
Delete all the windows/$NTUninstall and windows/$NtServicePackUninstall

Compress, or delete the C:/i386 folder, and compress (don't delete) windows/i386

Compress windows/serivcepackfiles

search (include hidden folders) for windows.edb, if its large disable indexing and delete it

Check program files/java and clean that up, should only need 1 installation, but multiple often show up over time as updates come out. (uninstall java, delete the directory install latest version)

Look thur program files closer, often times there is stuff you don't need/know/want in there and can remove. Consider deleting music you don't listen to anymore (its like a heartache I know)

Why is C:/My Music 238MB, when all your music is in My Documents?
You can delete C:/NVidia, and C:/Install AOL Communicator, /SWSetup, probably /COMPAQ thou I'm not sure whats in it. /sendtorover is probably trash, unless that is a temp holding place you created manually. [files] is your paging file.

All that together should be 3-6GB
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:21 am

Here is an option for deleting files from windows recycler folders http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229041
sunnyd

Postby ntscuser » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:55 am

zbeast wrote:As for recovery disks no you can't install from them.
You can from mine (HP). They recreate the recovery partition. They also reinstall all the crapware and outdated utilities that shipped with the PC when it was new :evil:
I checked the HP labels and they definitely say "recovery system" rather than "installation discs".
ntscuser

Postby Curmudgeon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:13 pm

I would go through the Documents and settings folders and make sure all those uninstalled games removed your saved games.

You appear to have about 20Gigs of crap in there.

Also why cant you use the external drive?
Curmudgeon

Postby piglets222 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:04 pm

tys... will look into the ccleaner... sunny done most of what you suggested already :/

maybe i can get my dad to buy me or install more hd :/

we have power issues, im not suppose to run more stuff plugged in then i have to... get yelled at by parent *shrugs*
piglets222

Postby Curmudgeon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Whats the make/model of that external drive?
Curmudgeon

Postby piglets222 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:16 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Whats the make/model of that external drive?

western digital 120 gig usb external
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-E ... B0006HDEFU
piglets222

Postby IneptVagrant » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:27 am

If you don't care about it being external.. You can always open the enclosure and pull the drive out than put it in your pc. Or swap drives, and install windows on the larger one, then remove everything and format the smaller (now in the external enclosure)
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby Curmudgeon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:58 pm

piglets222 wrote:

Now I'm really confused????
That is powered from the USB, why is it a problem to use again?
And basically what vagrant said is where I was going with that.
Hell ,you could just stick the USB drive in the case,plug it into one of the ports and nobody would know.
Curmudgeon

Postby piglets222 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:32 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
piglets222 wrote:

Now I'm really confused????
That is powered from the USB, why is it a problem to use again?
And basically what vagrant said is where I was going with that.
Hell ,you could just stick the USB drive in the case,plug it into one of the ports and nobody would know.

>.<

it powers with a AC adapter with power cord... house used to be a old farm house... my room has one of the only 3 prong outlets... and everytime a fuse blows my ass gets yelled at

no... im not ripping my external drive apart to stick it in my desktop ^.^ i was nervous enough just cracking teh hood to put in ram in

ty tho
piglets222

Postby sunnyd » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:46 pm

Piglets, have you ever thought of digging an underground tunnel to your neighbors house to extend your electrical options, or just tell them you don't need to borrow any sugar, but some juice would be nice? :D /me feels bad for you. :(
sunnyd

Postby Paladwyn » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:24 pm

Well, your hands are pretty tied with alot of options then. Check where your space is hiding and start deleting like a crazy person with the powers of deletion. Burn anything extra to a CD/DVD and delete the rest.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby ntscuser » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:37 am

Paladwyn wrote:Well, your hands are pretty tied with alot of options then. Check where your space is hiding and start deleting like a crazy person with the powers of deletion.
Deletions of grandure? Megalomania?
ntscuser

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:44 am

house used to be a old farm house... my room has one of the only 3 prong outlets...

ouch. i hope you don't have that wiring that's wrapped in cloth insulation :shock:
MrFredPFL

Next

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion