Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

The iPhone - Your Thoughts...

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

The iPhone - Your Thoughts...

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:15 am

I'm giving serious thought into getting the iPhone...I've tinkered with them enough to see that they give me exactly what I want - access to the internet and GPS. As a techie and website admin, I need access to the net and email where ever I may be. I know quite a few of you own one...so I'm wondering: what your monthly bill is, and what your thoughts are on the device.

iPhone haters need not apply...
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: The iPhone - Your Thoughts...

Postby rsrikanth05 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:01 am

I used the iPhone when my Uncle bought one.
Its not bad, it's a pretty neat device, the only drawbacks you MAY find are: no SMS forwarding, no email attachment forwarding, requirement for iTunes, no ringtone downloading and the heavy price.
rsrikanth05

Postby el33tcrew » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:32 am

I absolutely love the iPhone, it does everything I expected it to and then some. Lately I've been hearing most folks say how expensive the phone can be and TBH the bill is less than any prior bill over the last 5 years of AT&T service. Also Jailbreaking the phone increases the value ten fold, it brings out all the features apple never seemed to get around to including by default. :wink:

Bill = $78 USD (Includes 400 anytime, 5000 night/weekends, 1500 TXT MSGS, and Unlimited DATA Plan)

**Disclaimer**

The above statement is an opinion, leave it as such!
el33tcrew

Postby zbeast » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:44 am

it's a great phone...
it does not do everything right, the camera is not so good.
it does not record video.
it has a gps but it's not real time voice turn by turn..

Those are it's few negatives
But you can't beast how useful it is web surfing is great.
Voice call's are great.
The bill you get at the end of the month wont send you to the poor house.

True story a person that I was interviewing with yesterday showed me his phone bill
from a normal smart phone, that didn't have a data plan connected to it.

The bill was $3985.00

Oh ya make sure you buy a 3g phone.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby senseispab » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:19 am

I have one and I love it.

My biggest bugbears are no flash, no copy/paste, having to use (sh)itunes and no avi playback. But I'm sure you know all about these issues.

The device is a joy to use, especially for music/internet/podcasts etc. The aps are great, especially stuff like lastfm, units, aroundme, shazam (or midomi) etc.

It's just cool to pick up and play with, and that, to me, seems like half the battle won even before you discuss functionality.
senseispab

Postby Hypnotoad » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:07 pm

I don't know if they are available in the US, but two good alternatives to the iPhone are the Nokia n96 : http://www.nseries.com/index.html and the Samsung Pixon or Omnia: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/type ... bilephones

I have no particular issues with the iPhone, but when you compare the specs it falls short of the ones above IMO
Hypnotoad

Postby venussuz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:54 pm

The Iphones are great, but I prefer a phone that's hackable, as the Android G1 is. I love the market of mostly silly and some very useful apps. Video on it is great, as is web browsing, messaging, gps and my other use for it - a portable reader. I have about 100 books stored on the SD card and several good apps to use with it - I recommend jjreader.

As for cost, the T Mo data plan is $25/month and I'm on a family plan with 4 others sharing 2000 minutes. It comes to about $170/month for the 5 of us with unlimited messaging and 2 data plans @ $25 each. I'd guess it all depends on who your carrier is. GL Tom.
Toasty wrote:It must be the economy. Judges are probably BOGO in Sweden right now. :D
venussuz

Postby WatchtheNews » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:25 pm

Well Apple is a new kids when comes to Mobile computing so do expect it
doesn't do anything right.

In my opinion if you want to use email, a blackberry cell phone
will be a good choice. It support many commercial platform like
exchange, notes etc.

Hopes that help
WatchtheNews

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion