Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

ISP, BitTorrent and Newsgroups

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

ISP, BitTorrent and Newsgroups

Postby Flaps » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:56 am

Hey all,

Well my old man had recently transfered our ISP to Bitish Telecommes (i know i know, bad move lol), the first thing I did was opt-out of Phorm, which they were reluctant to do.
Anyway, After our migration, I boot up Utorrent and to my horror i'm downloading at 7kb/s max. I decided to test it out with a metallica download (usually they download at 700kbs for me) but its still 7kbs.
I got so frustrated i decided to quit. It's obvious that they are throttling p2p traffic.

So, I was skulking around and saw about newsgroups...
Could someone explain this to me briefly, to tell me if its p2p, http or whatever cos i dont have a clue =/
I'm hoping that by going to newsgroups this will allow me to download at normal speeds?

Thanks
Why?? Oh why???
Flaps

Re: ISP, BitTorrent and Newsgroups

Postby napho » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:22 am

I've heard that BT throttles during the daytime, and speeds up at night.
Usenet downloads come from a server.
napho

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:52 am

http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide

http://www.slyck.com/story1376_BitTorrent_vs_Usenet

There's plenty more out there to read...but that should get you started.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby craicdactor » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:55 am

Binaries4all.com is a great site for learning about Usenet.
You may be interested to know that BT has 240 days retention on the the Giganews servers,
the BT server is news.btinternet.com
You only get 3 connections, but for a free service it ain't bad
I download an average of 3-4 hundred gb a month,BT classify me as a heavy downloader and until recently
the connection was throttled between 5.30 and 11.30, but since having the house rewired, throttling has
ceased, Result!. hope this info helps. :toast:
Above may be out of date, as i am currently being throttled down to almost nothing, retention quoted above
may also be wrong but i have downloaded stuff on BT's server well over 200 days old successfully.
Last edited by craicdactor on Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craicdactor

Postby Flaps » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:23 am

Thanks all very much. I will have a look into this tonght when i finish work.
Thanks again :D
Why?? Oh why???
Flaps

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:31 am

As far as I am aware...isn't it the upload that they throttle? Meaning bittorrent can be seriously hampered? Therefore using newsgroups, where you aren't using your upload...can be faster?
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:43 am

If they're throttling BitTorrent, I suspect it's likely they're throttling Newsgroups too.

Something else you could try is to use torrents with a service like SwissVPN. I use this one myself from time to time to bypass restrictions when I need to download something at a customer's premises. You can pay for just one month at a time (about £3 to £4) and, once connected, all your traffic will pass through the VPN link. Your ISP will just see encrypted VPN data, so unless they're blocking VPN (unlikely) or just generally limiting your bandwidth, you should be able to achieve reasonable download speeds. It won't be quite as fast as a direct unrestricted internet connection, but the difference is usually minimal.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Flaps » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:17 am

Thanks Hourecrowd, I will have a look into this also... At the moment I am just trying to sort out a trial period for a premium news server, just to see if they are going to throttle that too.
I know my ISP has a news server, but for what I want to download, I'm sure its not wise to use their servers :P
Why?? Oh why???
Flaps

Postby craicdactor » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:08 am

Just an update to my previous post, i can confirm that BT have 220 days retention on the giganews servers.
My connection is back to normal, downloading 24 hours a day.As far as what you download, i have been downloading
all kinds for the last 18 months with no comeback from BT.Good luck to you with usenet, its a great resource. :)
craicdactor

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion