Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Do I want 64 bit.

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Do I want 64 bit.

Postby jb » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:03 pm

I am shopping for a new computer. Should I be looking for the 64 bit systems?
jb

Re: Do I want 64 bit.

Postby TorrentMama » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:36 pm

depends. what OS will you be installing? what do you typically use your machine for?
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby jb » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:45 pm

I will be getting Vista. The most complex thing I will do is home made movie editing, and very little of that. Mostly clips of a minute or so put together into a 15 or 20 minute show to burn to a DVD.
jb

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:06 pm

How much RAM do you want? Few things need more than 2GB these days, but you never know down the road. I would get the 64bit version of vista, at least then you dont have to worry about it later on. Other than very old/obscure peripherals there are now either 64bit drivers or work arounds. Be prepared to google around for a few things. Theres a million forums with people asking the same things and pretty much everything ive looked for ive found.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby jb » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:06 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of going 64 bit with 4Gb RAM. It seems to be the way things are heading and not too much of problem now. It is probably overkill for my needs but costs are now lower than I would have expected.
jb

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:48 pm

Well..put it this way..they don't really make the 32-bit processors anymore, all your newer stuff is 64-bit.

To THEN install a 32-bit OS is kinda pointless...in my opinion anyways.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby SchmuckofNI » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:13 pm

Just be certain that you have at least a quad core and get Vista Home Premimum or higher. The only things I have had problems with is my printer (its only a year old), which prints fine, but I have to control-alt-del to get the processes up to manually kill the process. Not only that, so far I haven't found a free anti-virus that has the ability to do a boot time scan for Vista 64-bit. Its strange, Vista takes up a gig of memory just idling, so maybe more than 4 gigs would better...
SchmuckofNI

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:28 pm

I'm running a AMD 9550 Quad-core with 4GB of DDR1066 ram, and Vista runs more than smooth...I'm quite impressed with the setup. However, you really are gonna want atleast 3GB of ram for it to run it's best.
Paladwyn

Postby hiro81 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:08 am

Paladwyn wrote:Well..put it this way..they don't really make the 32-bit processors anymore, all your newer stuff is 64-bit.

Yet it's the RAM ceiling in the 32bit OSes that is driving the switch to 64bit.

And I still do most of my work with a 32bit desktop.. there is very little you actually need a 64bit OS for, in my case it's Reason and a couple other music apps. But the average desktop user? No need for more than 2gb of ram and a 32bit os. It's over-sell, but it's also predicted by the time line so what can ya do?

worlddom 201
Dazzle_2 wrote:I can't see why the prosecutor {in the TPB trial} would be so stunned unless he is suffering from some sort of major culture shock based on the fact folks work together to achieve things without there being a mastermind with an ulterior motive.
hiro81

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:07 am

hiro81 wrote:
Paladwyn wrote:Well..put it this way..they don't really make the 32-bit processors anymore, all your newer stuff is 64-bit.

Yet it's the RAM ceiling in the 32bit OSes that is driving the switch to 64bit.

And I still do most of my work with a 32bit desktop.. there is very little you actually need a 64bit OS for, in my case it's Reason and a couple other music apps. But the average desktop user? No need for more than 2gb of ram and a 32bit os. It's over-sell, but it's also predicted by the time line so what can ya do?

worlddom 201

I agree...most people have overkill...but...

With parts becoming so cheap, ram being cheap...one can get an awesome computer for under 500 bucks. The only difference between my machine and somebody who "doesn't need all that power" is my video card. That seems to be the deciding factor with machines. Your $500 machine is basically the same, but I've got a $200 video card that sets mine above - but only for games.

I still think a 32-bit Vista is pointless... :D
Paladwyn

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion