Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Streaming - legality and risk???

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Streaming - legality and risk???

Postby Buchreitz » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:46 am

Oy mates!

These last couple of years I've found myself watching movies/tv-shows online more and more often, rather than downloading them from P2P services and sites. Since the trend seems to be growing substantially, this is indeed no longer the under-the-radar activity it once was, and I'm beginning to wonder whether I'd be better off downloading instead of streaming in terms of risk.

At the same time, I've come across several people suggesting that streaming off the net is actually legal. Sure, the hosts of the files you get directed to are in violation of copyright laws and the same probably goes for the uploaders of said files - but what about the viewers? Some people argue that because you dont technically download but only play the file online, there wont be physical proof on your harddrive, making you impossible to sue - others say that streaming is in fact downloading/illegal although the file isnt stored anywhere on your harddrive, but that you can get sued if you searched for movie-titles specifically and your IP gets traced on one of the sites when/if the MPAA sinks it and gain access to logs.

Is it legal to view pirated movies and tv-shows from streaming-sites - or is it illegal but completely impossible to ever get in trouble for - if so why/why not?? Would you consider streaming to be less or more risky than downloading torrents from public sites or files through P2P programs like Limewire or eDonkey???

(I've tried searching for similar topics, but couldnt find any - I doubt I'm the first guy in the world to ponder upon these questions, but since I couldn't find the answers I'm looking for in previous posts, I posted them here.
Buchreitz

Re: Streaming - legality and risk???

Postby TorrentMama » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:28 am

my carpal tunnel hurts like hell, so I'm not going to get into a long response about your risks and what is legal or not. Just end your worries.. if you want to watch one anonymise yourself ..try Relakks
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:30 am

less risky. the true legal issues arise from uploading. with streaming, you don't upload anything - with torrents, you do. i am not aware of even one case where a person has been sued or otherwise faced legal pressure for viewing streaming content.
MrFredPFL

Postby SleepyOne » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:31 am

The legality issue greatly depends on local laws where you are...

Where I am, streaming any content would be perfectly legal.
Its the Uploading part thats questionable.

So if it is a streaming-service that only downloads material without sending any of it to others in a p2p fashion, I'd say the risk is virtually non existing.
SleepyOne

Postby HalOfBorg » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:59 pm

Yeh - but stay alert to what's going on. Someday they will get to streaming video. Just as soon as they get feel they need a new income source.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer: http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

We are The Borg.
Lower your weapons. Disarm your explosives.
Your spawn will adapt to service Us.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby LANjackal » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:47 pm

IDK of any jurisdiction in the world where you'd get in trouble for watching. The party that hosts the material in the first place is the one upon whom the weight of the law falls ...
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion