Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Broadbadn powerline for 60 million in Indonesia.

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Broadbadn powerline for 60 million in Indonesia.

Postby zbeast » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:02 pm

According to the company’s chief executive officer Suhaimi Abdul Rahman, the US$14 billion “Smart Mosque” project will be rolled out over three years in Indonesia and will link together 400,000 mosques and serve 60 million users.

“This project will offer 60 million users unlimited high speed Internet connection of 224Mbps (megabits per second) at a cost of only around RM5 (US$1.58) per user per month, which is the fastest and cheapest in the world,” he said.

BPL modems use existing electrical power lines to deliver high speed Internet access and data transmission.

http://computerworld.com.my/ShowPage.aspx?pagetype=2&articleid=7942&pubid=4&issueid=131

I would love to have that type of speed... seems like a waste on that country tho.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Re: Broadbadn powerline for 60 million in Indonesia.

Postby lordfoul » Fri May 23, 2008 2:23 am

I think any leg up for a country in the type of political and economic turmoil that Indonesia is in is a good thing for both the people of Indonesia and the rest of the world which bankrolls it, in order for it not to fall into absolute political chaos and thus lead us into another military intervention. Of course this is not a waste and is probably far more valuable in Jakarta than New York city.

My uncle is a Civil Engineer who designs dikes and dams amongst other things and has been employed in Indonesia for some time in this capacity, as well as in Bangladesh. So I am familiar with this situation personally and have been there myself.

I'm surprised that a Harley lover would think so narrowly, peoples lives are not trite things, even from San Jose.
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby Golgo1 » Fri May 23, 2008 8:48 am

I think she just meant it's great to see them all connecteced and whatnot... but the speed of it seems like a waste as I can't picture alot of heavy video streaming, P2P, or hardcore gaming going on.
While connectivity might be a MUCH bigger deal there than in NYC, I would say people in New York would use much more of the bandwidth potential of this project.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby boneface » Fri May 23, 2008 11:32 am

I wonder what the upload speeds are... :pirate:
boneface

Postby Fartingbob » Fri May 23, 2008 11:35 am

If this was in the UK it would have a 30GB monthly cap with 256Kbps upload. :lol:
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion