Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Trouble connecting to the internet

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Trouble connecting to the internet

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:22 am

ok so here's the deal

I currently have a network set up at home, 2 computers, both connected to the internet. My computer is connected directly to the main router (the one connected to the phone line), the other computer, as it is in another room, is connected via a wireless modem which is connected to the main router. This setup had been working fine for several weeks.

Now, and it appears to have happened all of a sudden, I can't seem to connect to the internet using my pc at all. I can't even connect to the router thru a web browser. The other pc, which is running on the wireless router, is working fine. This pc can also connect to the main router. Windows appears to recognise there is a connection (as when I unplug the network cable the little Windows icon tells me I have disconnected a netwrok device), but it seems that there is an issue in sending packets. When I go into Start > Control Panel > Network Connection and select the Local Network Connection, it says that packets are being sent, but very few are being received (I admittedly don't know very much about what this actually is).

I have tried several trouble shooting things but still no dice. I have changed the network cables, the light from the network connection on the back of the PC (that's built into the motherboard) is active. I've reinstalled Windows XP and still nothing.

One strange thing that occurred when I firt encountered this problem, I tried installing a different browser. The strange thing was when I installed it (Opera) I actually connected to the internet briefly, before losing the connection. Very odd.

So I'm kind of at a loss as to what else to do. My thinking at the moment is perhaps the inbuilt network connection on the motherboard has developed a fault? I was going to get a hold of and install a network card to see if this fixes this issue. Thoughts?

If you need any further info, or screenshots or anything, let me know.

Cheers
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Re: Trouble connecting to the internet

Postby zbeast » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:51 am

open up a command window and see if you can ping yahoo.com
If you can... I'm suspecting that you have a "proxy ware" on that computer.
which is trying to redirect your DNS to a fake dns server and is capturing all
the commutations on that computer.

This is only a guess.... could be something as simple as a bad network card
or bad ram.

zbeast
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby Kenrin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:29 am

what do you mean by wireless modem connected to main router? is it connected via a network card and the main router is a wireless one?

bad ram would not cause a non-working net connection

now are you saying you can connect your pc that is being connected wirelessly to the main router via a network cable and it works fine? if so then it might definitely be the nic card on your mobo going bad on your pc, or it could be some type of malware that zbeast said. i'd get a pci nic card or a little wireless network adapter and see if you can connect your pc to the router that way to rule out the bad nic on mobo first. if the internet still doesn't work then you better reinstall your OS. 8)
Kenrin

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:29 am

It seems like it would be on the computer end then, perhaps... I always try unplugging the modem and router for a few seconds, and power them back up again. That solves many down issues. COuld always try doing a hard reset on the router, resetting back to defaults, but I still think it's on the computer end.

Check your IP address and make sure that it's actually connecting to the router. If you hit the command prompt and use the 'ipconfig' command, it should pop up some numbers. Depending on your router, you SHOULD get 192.168.???.??? (usually 0 or 1 for the first number, and anywhere from 1-255 for the second number). The subnet mask SHOULD read 255.255.255.0, and the gateway should be the address of your router (since it IS the router), and the DNS server is whatever your DNS server should the router as well.

If the IP address isn't quite right, and the subnet mask reads 255.255.0.0 and you have no other numbers, then it's not connecting to the router. From here you have a few options. Check cables first, make sure they are firmly snug and working. Then you may need to update your network card drivers. You may also try to set up static IP's via your router to give more control (I do it, works well for when I need machines to NOT change their IP's around on me).

If everything is ok, and it's connecting to the router and pulling an IP address, then you may need to consider other things like being hijacked by spyware, or virus. Get a CD with some junk on it to check it out and clean it up. Can't hurt to check it all out anyways. I suggest Adaware, Spybot S&D and AVG Antispyware to start checking stuff out.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby n9xph » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:38 am

To check your PC networking hardware I would boot a live Linux CD on it to determine if your hardware or software is the issue. This may not tell you anything useful if the live CD does not work because you may have incompatible hardware for Linux in the PC, however if the live CD does work you know that your issue is software.
n9xph

Postby stevhorn » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:53 pm

It could be a back, or poorly connected ethernet cable. Try a different cable.
stevhorn

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:01 pm

Have you recently installed any other networking device/software, such as a mobile/cell phone with a 'bluetooth modem'?
Whenever I've come across a similar problem, I'd say that's the most common cause. Windows/explorer tries to determine where its internet connection is coming from .... sometimes it gets it wrong and chooses the wrong adaptor. Try disabling all other network devices, except for the one that connects to your router, then in Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN settings, select the Automatically detect settings option (if it's already selected, unselect it and reselect it again) then apply/ok your way out of there, close IE and try again (sometimes you may need to open/close IE 3 or 4 times before it works). Also, you could try re-running the SoHo network wizard to make sure Windows is configured correctly to get it's internet connection via the LAN.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll be back home tomorrow night to try out your suggestions and report back. Again, thanks for your assistance :)
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby n9xph » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:46 pm

After rereading your original post it looks like you eliminated software issue when you reinstalled windows. Try a different wired port number on the router if it has multiple ports for wired connections. You could have a bad wired port on the router. From a command prompt you can release and renew DHCP on your active windows network adapter.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /all

if DHCP is working ipconfig /all command will display that your ip address is now set to the same subnet (first 3 ip address numbers should match router) and your gateway ip will be the same as the routers ip address.

if DHCP is not working then try the PCI slot nic card like you said you were going to and that will solve the problem if the problem is not in the router or LAN cable.
n9xph

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:00 pm

Ok I'll try and answer a few queries raised in this thread..

Kenrin wrote:now are you saying you can connect your pc that is being connected wirelessly to the main router via a network cable and it works fine? if so then it might definitely be the nic card on your mobo going bad on your pc, or it could be some type of malware that zbeast said. i'd get a pci nic card or a little wireless network adapter and see if you can connect your pc to the router that way to rule out the bad nic on mobo first. if the internet still doesn't work then you better reinstall your OS.

The main router is not wireless. I have a wireless access point (which I referred to in my initial post as a wireless modem) which is connected to the main router with a network cable. The computer that connects to the internet thru this wireless access point works fine, no internet connectivity issues. Therefore I assume the main router is not faulty and a working internet connection is present.

I have already tried reinstalling the OS (XP SP2) and updated all relevent drivers etc, but no luck. I am confident this isn't a malware/spyware/virus issue as it is a clean install after a complete format.

Paladwyn wrote:I always try unplugging the modem and router for a few seconds, and power them back up again. That solves many down issues. Could always try doing a hard reset on the router, resetting back to defaults, but I still think it's on the computer end.

Yup, tried both of these, no dice.

stevhorn wrote:It could be a back, or poorly connected ethernet cable. Try a different cable.

Tried different cables, not the issue.

HouseCrowd wrote:Have you recently installed any other networking device/software, such as a mobile/cell phone with a 'bluetooth modem'?

Nope, and after reinstalling the OS, I installed no additional software, still not able to connect.

n9xph wrote:After rereading your original post it looks like you eliminated software issue when you reinstalled windows. Try a different wired port number on the router if it has multiple ports for wired connections. You could have a bad wired port on the router.

Tried this also, doesn't seem to be the issue.

My next step is to try some of the suggestions within this thread and install a pci network card. Fingers crossed.
piXelatedEmpire

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:31 pm

I'd say after a clean reinstall and nothing works..then it's network card...or the router is blocking it for some stupid reason, but bad net card seems most likely at this point.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:29 am

Yeah, I'd tend to agree. It is looking like a faulty NIC.

Thinking back, I did have a network adaptor do something similar once though, but if I remember correctly it started working again after completely removing power from the PC for a minute or two (not just shutting down) then reconnecting. If you haven't done so already, that'd be worth a try.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby stevhorn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:53 am

I seem to remember that I had a similar problem a while back. It seems that I installed some software that turned on upnp on the router. Check your router settings and disable upnp. This solved the problem for me.

There are other reason upnp should be disabled as well:

"UPnP does not implement any authentication, and therefore assumes that all local systems and their users are completely trustworthy. Routers and firewalls running UPnP are therefore vulnerable to attack."

"Adobe Flash programs are capable of generating HTTPU (HTTP over UDP) requests. This allows the router (or other UPnP-configurable device) settings to be modified by a malicious web site when someone with a UPnP-enabled router simply visits that web site."

Good luck.
stevhorn

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:55 pm

ok, so I finally had some time last night to look into the problem, and I've concluded that the NIC on the mobo is indeed faulty. I used a mates laptop and plugged that into the router and the net worked instantly. I'll be installing a new NIC this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance and suggestions :)
piXelatedEmpire

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:13 am

Did you try removing the power lead from the PC for a minute or two?

Like I said, I had an onboard NIC do something like that once. Rebooting did nothing, but removing the power (and the Ethernet cable) completely for a while got it working again. Since onboard NICs usually remain powered (at least partially) even when the PC is turned off, I suspect the problem in this case was caused by a firmware crash/lock-up which it could not recover from without performing a cold-start. Worth checking if you haven't done so already before you go replacing it.
HouseCrowd

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:30 pm

HouseCrowd wrote:Did you try removing the power lead from the PC for a minute or two?

Like I said, I had an onboard NIC do something like that once. Rebooting did nothing, but removing the power (and the Ethernet cable) completely for a while got it working again. Since onboard NICs usually remain powered (at least partially) even when the PC is turned off, I suspect the problem in this case was caused by a firmware crash/lock-up which it could not recover from without performing a cold-start. Worth checking if you haven't done so already before you go replacing it.

oops forgot about that one, I'll try it tonight thanks for the reminder HC :toast:
piXelatedEmpire

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:59 pm

So tried your suggestion HC, no dice. Ripped out an old NIC from my bro's computer, slapped it into mine and after a bit of a search for the right drivers, voila! Internet acces back! Yay!
piXelatedEmpire

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion