Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

network hijacking?

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

network hijacking?

Postby dougie1 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:10 am

hi,
ive got wireless router dsl etc....ive got my network which is named and prev it showed im connected to that named network....today i noticed im connected to that network ,plus another called internet(1) network..my speeds have dropped by about two thirds.. does it mean somebody else is using my connection from outside?..or am i getting paranoid?when i try to disconnect from internet(1) network it says unable to disconnect due to connecting/disconnecting issues or something simlar.
regards
dougie1

Re: network hijacking?

Postby dougie1 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:16 am

regarding prev post....on my network and sharing centre it now says "multiple networks"...should it be multiple?
dougie1

Postby Aaron.Walkhouse » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:15 am

You're going to have to be more precise if you want help. The model number of your router and copies of the exact error messages would be a good start.
Aaron.Walkhouse

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:24 am

It doens't mean that somebody is connected to your network, or your connection (although with an unsecured router, there still may be somebody on). You wouldn't see in your computer is anybody was on your router, not typically anyways.

Having "Internet" and "Internet 1" in your settings mean your computer is set up to handle two different connections to the internet. If you are unsure about what all it means to you. Delete them both and run the network wizard again.

EDIT - do keep in mind that if you just went from wired to wireless, that would explain why you have two connections. One would be set up for your wired (ethernet) port, and the other for the wireless. If you still want them both..leave them be. This would also explain your drop in speed...especially if there is interference in range of your router.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion