Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Comcast's "PowerBoost" technology

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Comcast's "PowerBoost" technology

Postby JolietJake » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:26 pm

Anyone know exactly what this is? It claims to offer "12 Mbps when you’re downloading large files like videos and games."

Is it some kind of cache on their side or something?
You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand.
JolietJake

Postby qm2003 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:31 pm

They just stop throtteling you, when you are buying THEIR stuff.
How to setup Emule. A small checklist Schmu's MuleDoc
P2P is not piracy, it's marketing. In fact, if your music or movie is NOT being downloaded, you should be WORRIED !
If you can't even give it away for free, how do you expect to sell it, stupid ?
qm2003

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:38 pm

i'd been wondering about that too. that's REALLY <politically incorrect adjective removed and replaced with> lame.
MrFredPFL

Postby JolietJake » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:43 am

Thats just hard for me to believe. Although i did read in their terms and services that their connections are limited to 16Mbps so i guess it's possible.
JolietJake

Postby venussuz » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:59 am

Gotta love that they're throttling the connections so they can charge more for a 2 gig faster connection - that's not even getting into the higher priced plans. FWIW, they offer both Powerboost and something new called Blast (check broadbandreports.com for more info), neither of which I've noticed as I only track usenet usage and a 1 minute burst in a 6 hour download doesn't even matter.
venussuz

Postby qm2003 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:00 am

It is a nice setup.

- 1st they sell bandwidth to customers.
- Customers who actually use their paid-for-bandwidth get throttled. Comcast "steals" already sold bandwidth back.
- Then for content you have to pay Comcast extra for, they generously increase your bandwidth temporarily.

This way they can sell their limited bandwidth multiple times to customers who don't use it. They who actually use it get robbed. And the robbed bandwidth is sold again.

A very nice setup indeed.
How to setup Emule. A small checklist Schmu's MuleDoc
P2P is not piracy, it's marketing. In fact, if your music or movie is NOT being downloaded, you should be WORRIED !
If you can't even give it away for free, how do you expect to sell it, stupid ?
qm2003

Postby LANjackal » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:10 am

venussuz wrote:a 1 minute burst

That's pretty much all it is. For the first part of a download up to a certain size (not sure what the limit is), you suddenly have a huge increase in bandwidth. I'm pretty sure it's nothing new - I've been seeing it since I was with Roadrunner back in 2004/2005, and Cox does it on this end too. The ISPs are probably just trying to brand it as an extra "feature" for marketing purposes.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby HEAT84 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:30 am

I thought I heard that how long it lasted depended on how much traffic there was in your area (Permaboost). They way they market it (those commercials blatently talk down to you), woud make me a little ashamed to use it. Apparently their target demographic is AOL users.

I don't use Comcast's Internet service and won't as long as they have that rediculous 2GB DL limit from Usenet. I don't understand why they have it so low, other than to discourage piracy. You could DL that in what half an hour at 6MBPS? I think 10GB would suit me just fine. I don't DL 100GB a month like some of you freaks.:P
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby Obenone » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:47 am

From a Comcast subscriber I can say that before speed boot came into play I maxed out my conection with news groups.

Afterwards I maxed my connection for 3 seconds and then it is halved. I have downloaded some of there content and never had a problem.

I have used SSL conections and after about 2 days I was throttled again. Unless I was downloading comcast approved material.

While paying almost 50.00 a month for unlimited bandwidth..
Obenone

Postby venussuz » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:39 am

HEAT84 - The 2 gb limit only applies to downloads from their usenet server. I've downloaded about 400 gig in the last month with UNS.

Obenone - my usenet connection stays at ~6 meg, maybe because I'm not using their newsgroups, maybe because I've only had it about a month. At $20/month for 12 months, I figure I'll keep Comcast until I get the infamous email or phone call, hopefully by then FIOS will be live in my area - it's about 12 miles away now.
:P
venussuz

Postby thejynxed » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:31 am

Powerboost and Blast rely on material cached within their network. It's not throttling per se that they do, it's just that they have automatic QoS rules in place to give higher priority to in-network packets as opposed to packets going outside of their network. It's just marketdroid speak for saying, "This is what you have to look forward to if we nuke Network Neutrality, suckers."
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby GrymRpr » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:51 am

I've personally not experienced The Comcast Throttle.. Anytime I down from News Group's/BT(Private) I max out my connection (And I down At Least 60+ Gigs a month)

As to the Boost.. What BS...when I first seen it.. thats what I thought..
Caching lame video/audio links lol
Like its been said.. Geared for the AOL User base Heh

The Speeds I get allow me to download a full Dvd of info in roughly an hour & a half.

@HEAT- :lol:
GrymRpr

Postby JolietJake » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:50 pm

Yeah i figured it was some sort of caching on their end. That part in their terms about 16Mbps being the max connection makes me wonder why they don't offer something fast than 8Mbps.
JolietJake

Postby carcassfan » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:06 pm

from the comcast site:

A PowerBoost burst will normally last as long as the 10MB of a file download on Comcast's 6Mbps High-Speed Internet service, and as long as 5MB of a file upload. Once the PowerBoost burst is complete, your download will continue at your normal provisioned speed of up to 6Mbps or 8Mbps.

so as far as i'm concerned its basically worthless. better than a kick in the teeth I suppose...
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."

-Ted Nugent

God Bless America!
Tekk wrote:most of the things being pirated are obscure mexican bands
carcassfan

Postby JunqueMan » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:16 pm

carcassfan wrote:from the comcast site:

A PowerBoost burst will normally last as long as the 10MB of a file download on Comcast's 6Mbps High-Speed Internet service, and as long as 5MB of a file upload. Once the PowerBoost burst is complete, your download will continue at your normal provisioned speed of up to 6Mbps or 8Mbps.

so as far as i'm concerned its basically worthless. better than a kick in the teeth I suppose...

I've noticed that over the last few weeks but I figured it was just connection burst till the connection stabilized till I read this thread. Mine would go up to about 1390KBs and then drop back to my normal 760KBs.

I agree though, what practical use is it if it's just for the first 10MB's? Great for the ones that have this "boost" continuously, but for the rest of us big deal. :roll:

Junque Man
"Pass me another cold Pawtucket Patriot..."
JunqueMan

Postby JolietJake » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:40 pm

The first 10mb, how lame is that.
JolietJake

Postby HEAT84 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:48 pm

JolietJake wrote:Yeah i figured it was some sort of caching on their end. That part in their terms about 16Mbps being the max connection makes me wonder why they don't offer something fast than 8Mbps.

So it really is Netzero Highspeed on steriods? Thats what I thought. Although Netzero Highspeed is (was?) only for browsing.

venussuz wrote:HEAT84 - The 2 gb limit only applies to downloads from their usenet server. I've downloaded about 400 gig in the last month with UNS.

Why should I pay extra for Usenet service when the ISP has one? My ISP has their own with 8 days retention and no monthly download limit. 8 days isn't much compared to Giganews, etc, but its good enough for me. If the file I'm looking for has expired off the server, I can always find it via BT.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby zbeast » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:58 pm

carcassfan wrote:from the comcast site:

So you could make your connection faster when you wanted it by starting a download from comcast then slow that connection to just transfer to just enough bytes per second to keep the comcast server from booting you by using a packetshaper or just QOS software.
You could then start a download from a site you really wanted to use at higher speeds.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby JolietJake » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:51 pm

Or i suppose if you downloaded something broken into 10mb rar files it would constantly stay on.

I just don't understand why, if they can produce speeds up to 16Mbps, they don't just offer something faster. Like say at least 12Mbps. I want at least a 1,000kbps download speed. :D
JolietJake

Re: Comcast's "PowerBoost" technology

Postby jdeetz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:13 pm

hahaha..lol. you guys should get a local provider, for the last 5 cities I lived in I did, and I got an average download speed of 2200kbps, at rates around $22/month. look into it. adios and crap.
jdeetz

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion