Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Protowall and Blocklist Manager Guide

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Zerocool_ » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:30 pm

Hey guys, i just installed protowall, blocklist manager and sygate pro on my com successfully, but now my bittorrent downloads have slowed down to a crawl.. Can someone suggest something that i could do?
Zerocool_

Postby red duck » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:41 pm

to me it sounds like trouble with firewall, did you give your client a full acces to internet?

welcome to slyck
there is new p2p site
...and it's growing.

The site is UP :)
red duck

Location: lemme think......... oh i forgot NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS ! ! !

Postby Califax » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:37 pm

When it sais start I get mass packets, do I leave that on or what? btw great guide!
Califax

Postby miner » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:31 am

yes, you can expect to see a lot of packet activity. in the last hour i have 4,000 packets granted and in the last month i have 9,000,000 packets granted and 1,800 blocked.
miner

Postby EricJH » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:00 pm

Zerocool_ wrote:Hey guys, i just installed protowall, blocklist manager and sygate pro on my com successfully, but now my bittorrent downloads have slowed down to a crawl.. Can someone suggest something that i could do?

Do you happen to use a Realtek networkcard? It slows down all download traffic. Download the VPN driver at the Realtek site. That is the only one that works with Protowall. I found the tip on the Bluetack forum. I tried several versions of the Realtek driver and only the VPN drivers works.
EricJH

Postby Nessmaster » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:08 pm

Zerocool_ wrote:Hey guys, i just installed protowall, blocklist manager and sygate pro on my com successfully, but now my bittorrent downloads have slowed down to a crawl.. Can someone suggest something that i could do?

You should always give full acess to any p2p clients especailly ones like BitTorrent. You should expect alot, and I mean alot, of packet activity from BitTorrent for it takes full use of your bandwith.
Nessmaster

Postby xavis » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:13 pm

Hey there...
It sounds like a great program - only problem is, I can't use it. It comes up with a error-message saying: "ProtoWall.sys is not loaded. Install the driver then reload this application." Can any of you help me?

Yours
Xavis
xavis

Postby Nessmaster » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:18 pm

xavis wrote:Hey there...
It sounds like a great program - only problem is, I can't use it. It comes up with a error-message saying: "ProtoWall.sys is not loaded. Install the driver then reload this application." Can any of you help me?

Yours
Xavis

Yes this happend to me as well when I downloaded a new build of protowall and tried to use it. I don't really know why this happens, but all I can tell you is try to get an older version (which I did) and it worked for me. But I bet somone else can give you a better option.
(BTW: This was a long time ago, and I reformated since then, and now it worked for me. BUT I'M NOT SAYING THAT YOU SHOULD REFORMATE!!!)
Nessmaster

Postby Yozhno » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:31 pm

Nessmaster wrote:

You should always give full acess to any p2p clients especailly ones like BitTorrent. You should expect alot, and I mean alot, of packet activity from BitTorrent for it takes full use of your bandwith.

NEVER GIVE FULL ACCESS TO P2P PROGRAMS! :) Use the advanced rules on sygate. You can specify the ports to use ect and what protocals are allowed on those ports.
http://www.bluetack.co.uk
Bluetack Support Staff/Mod
Yozhno

ProtoWall/BlockList Manager Support

Postby RavenSoft » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:44 pm

I just wanted to let everyone know that the OFFICIAL BISS Technical Support forum is over at the following links:

The BlockList Manager
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=53

ProtoWall
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=19

You are encouraged to submit your technical support issues to those forums and not on this forum. 8)
RavenSoft

Postby Ooble » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:00 pm

Do you have SP2?
[code:1]char str[20];
scanf("%19s", &str);
if (!strcmpi(str, "Hello, world!"))
printf("Hello, programmer.\n");[/code:1]
Ooble

Location: Wouldn't you like to know, SlyckTom? Just so you can sell my address to the RIAA? No chance.

I think that you people are to paranoid

Postby MagicMan » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:54 pm

I have been file sharing for a very long time, and I am not going to be held up by anybody who may or may not be watching! The odds of getting caught are one in a million.

So why bother with all of these programs that just crash your computer to hide from someone who is looking for a needle in a haystack!

Enjoy life and don't be so paranoid about getting caught! Like I said the odds are one in a million?

Later my friends,
I have to go and try to hide someone!
MagicMan

Postby Califax » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:29 pm

Whats the avg number of packets blocked, I get up to a 1000! So Im not sure to be worried or not. Examples:
Packet from "PSI Fake Files AP2P" ( 38.117.6.52 ) rejected. [protocol: TCP - src: 1322 / dst: 6346]
Packet to "THQ Inc AP2P" ( 65.204.157.253 ) blocked. [protocol: TCP - src: 3185 / dst: 6881]
Califax

Postby Nessmaster » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:15 pm

Califax wrote:Whats the avg number of packets blocked, I get up to a 1000! So Im not sure to be worried or not. Examples:
Packet from "PSI Fake Files AP2P" ( 38.117.6.52 ) rejected. [protocol: TCP - src: 1322 / dst: 6346]
Packet to "THQ Inc AP2P" ( 65.204.157.253 ) blocked. [protocol: TCP - src: 3185 / dst: 6881]

Depends on how long you leave it on. In under 1 hour of emule I get around 300 blocked packets. If I leave it on for one night I get like 1000. It's good if it's blocking them, even if it might be a bit too much, hey at least it's better then not blocking any :shock: then you would really have a problem there :wink:
Nessmaster

Postby Califax » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:16 pm

Depends on how long you leave it on. In under 1 hour of emule I get around 300 blocked packets. If I leave it on for one night I get like 1000. It's good if it's blocking them, even if it might be a bit too much, hey at least it's better then not blocking any :shock: then you would really have a problem there :wink:[/quote]

Ah Thx, Would be a problem without it just scares me sometimes :!: :lol:
Califax

Postby Ooble » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:11 pm

Here's a question: for me, ProtoWall always says I have 1,533,507 granted packets, and 512 blocked packets. What's up with that? I can click "Clear count" and it still says that the next time it starts up.
[code:1]char str[20];
scanf("%19s", &str);
if (!strcmpi(str, "Hello, world!"))
printf("Hello, programmer.\n");[/code:1]
Ooble

Location: Wouldn't you like to know, SlyckTom? Just so you can sell my address to the RIAA? No chance.

Postby hossmonkey » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:02 am

Thanks "Minor" for the tutorial plus trouble shooting! I was doing it the hard way before, I upgraded to the 2.0 beta because I reinstalled XP ..... the link you provided to the thread on how to correct the driver issue came in handy.

I only wish people like you made tutorials like this for softmodding the xbox & installing XBMC!

I really appraciate it .... peer gaurdian has been killing me the past year with the its CPU load, now I can at least use my system while dl'g without waiting 30 seconds for a GUI command to execute!

Regards,

Hoss
hossmonkey

Postby Nessmaster » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:35 am

Ooble wrote:Here's a question: for me, ProtoWall always says I have 1,533,507 granted packets, and 512 blocked packets. What's up with that? I can click "Clear count" and it still says that the next time it starts up.

The counts freeze up on me after a while too. I just leave it on until necessery then when I restart I click the clear little grey button.
Nessmaster

protowall and peerguardian alternative

Postby chuckbeef » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:26 pm

Anyone know of an alternative to peerguardian and protowall??
Peerguardian bogs my system down and I am running windows 98 so I can't use protowall.
Any help is appreciated.
chuckbeef

Postby Mrs. 2p » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:52 pm

A few minutes after this post, a thread was started with that exact question. Let's please keep this one on-topic: miner's great guide. If anyone can answer/help chuckbeef, please do so in the appropriate thread. thanks
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby barkingmonkey » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:37 pm

i was able to recreate the protowall.sys error on a winXP sp1 system. i was able to fix it by UNinstalling the proto driver, and then reinstalling the protowall service as mentioned in previous posts.
barkingmonkey

Postby miner » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:28 pm

imo, that is definitely the most common fix for the protowall.sys error. i took that 10 step process out of my guide because numerous people in another forum stated that method wasn't fixing there driver issue.
miner

Postby mandrake » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:25 am

Thanks miner this was great help I just installed windows xp and wanted to use protowall this helped me to get up and running Thanks to your great guide :D
mandrake

Postby rolf » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:20 pm

After installation, if you get the sys file error, then copy all the drivers to a folder of your creation e.g. D:\Protowall.

Then manually add the protowall service referring to these files. There is a bug with the original installation, it doesn't like a driver path with spaces in it e.g. "Program Files".

It worked for me!

or see here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/123765

Unlike what this guy says, there is no need to uninstall the whole program.
rolf

Postby Taifu56 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:20 am

My Blocklist Manager reads this:

Ready.
Retrieving source list...
Source list downloading...
...Cached file is not more than a day old, using local copy.
1821 bytes opened from local cached file...
Source update complete. 0 new sources, 0 removed sources.
Ready.
Opening source list...
Source list loaded.
:: No Sources to Process.
:: Inclusions File is empty.
:: Exclusions File is empty.
Merging overlapping ranges...
:: Permit rules have the priority.
Recalculating IP netmasks, range sizes, and counting IP's...
Merge Complete.

Finished Time: 1/28/2005 10:13:07 PM
Total Lines Read: 0
Sources Processed: 2
Duplicates Removed: 0
Merged Ranges: 0
Process Time: 0.20 seconds.
Download Time: 0.00 seconds.
Total Time: 0.20 seconds.
Error Count: 0
Ready.

and my Protowall windows says that There are 0 known IP's in 0 ranges.

Is my Blocklist Manager and Protowall working properly, could someone please help

-T56
Taifu56

PreviousNext

Return to Tech/Software Discussion