Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Trying hard to shrink/convert ,/alter? a file

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Trying hard to shrink/convert ,/alter? a file

Postby dougie1 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:54 am

Hello,
I have a video file(avi) 1.56 gb size and wish to convert to play as a dvd....tried it on my usual prog" convertx to dvd" but im told converted file will be 5.67 gb and low quality .....I dont want to get double capacity dvds (too expensive) so would like to be able to put on normal disc.....the projected poor quality is a bit of a mystery as playing file on laptop it seems very good......suggestions welcome ...tks
dougie1

Re: Trying hard to shrink/convert ,/alter? a file

Postby HalOfBorg » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:52 am

Convert it to DVD structure using the highest quality settings, then use DVD Shrink to compress it to a single layer DVD, outputting it as an ISO file. Burn that to the DVD-R.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer: http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

We are The Borg.
Lower your weapons. Disarm your explosives.
Your spawn will adapt to service Us.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:26 am

I haven't used ConvertXtoDVD for a while but, from memory, it usually sets the target size automatically. Have you checked that the target isn't set to DVD9 instead of DVD5?
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Inksaver » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:36 am

I have not used a DVD for a while now (I record/download HD files) but I used to hadve DVD players that were very cheap, and able to natively play a number of sd formats, including .avi stored as data files on cd-r or DVD-R. Would this not be easier than spending time converting?
Inksaver

Postby sunnyd » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:58 am

There are many DVD players that will not support playing .avi files burned as UDF (data) on a DVD-R. The key to that is a DVD player that supports DivX. There are many cheap DVD players available that do support DivX. I burn 4 or 5 .avi files on one DVD and we play them that way in the players we have, which are Philips brand. We have one in the basement, and one upstairs, they work great, and very inexpensive.

For converting files, I use WinAVI. If I want to make a bootable DVD that you can choose selected scenes from, etc. to play, then I convert the .avi file to .vob files and burn that way, rather than burn them as UDF on a DVD. I only get one movie to a DVD doing it this way, compared to burning them as UDF when I can get the 4 or 5 on one DVD and use the remote to choose which movie to watch.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby HalOfBorg » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:21 am

I've bypassed the whole DVD-R thing since the DVD player we have accepts thumb drives, and plays several types of files.
It's getting old and no codec updates, so I switched to a WD TV Live player. Plays just about everything I've tried, and the few it doesn't like I just transcode to MP4 and it's all good.

Bought the player, HDMI cable and an 8gig Patriot XT thumb drive for it from Newegg for less than $100. :thumbup:

We are The Borg.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby ejonesss » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:24 am

i think there are starting to deals online where you can get dvd 9 media very cheap like 30 to 50 disks for $30 to $40.

the catch is.

brand is no name or ridata.

white label sharpie ready.

very slim chance of survival of exposure to Ammonia (those who live near a river that floods and local factory leaks Ammonia into the water (case in point a copy of the uphuck tiger osx 10.4 first generation for hackintosh was ruined because lee flood came higher than thought and got into box containing dvds and cds because a local factory leaked Ammonia into the water and along with heating fuel and other toxic stuff ruined several but not all of the bargain media (some was able to salvaged))).
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby HalOfBorg » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:41 am

I had a creek flood my basement (6ft deep), lost every jewel case down there (creek mud never seems to come off, lingers in corners, seems and such). The DVDs were OK (my backups of everything), but any printed labels were ruined. No more labels for basement DVDs for me.

I had just that morning removed a v.92 modem from my PC since we had broadband. Stored it in static bag, labeled nice, put away in basement. Ah well, not like I really wanted it.

I bought 200 very cheap DVD-Rs (Ridata might have been). I burn at slowest speed and a few MONTHS later these things were almost unreadable. It's Verbatim for me, Memorex in a pinch. I have never found one unreadable no matter how old. Cheap is not worth it unless the disk is just for short term use.

We are The Borg.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Return to Tech/Software Discussion