Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Norton Antivirus 2011 Free Upgrade/Major Issues

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Norton Antivirus 2011 Free Upgrade/Major Issues

Postby sunnyd » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:25 pm

This is an FYI for anyone who has 2009 or 2010 Norton Antivirus, that is receiving the message and/or email they are eligible for a free upgrade to Norton Antivirus 2011.

In my opinion, after spending over 10 hours so far helping people deal with this free upgrade, it has major issues, and I would strongly advise NOT doing the upgrade they recommend.....yet.

First of all, it has very confusing instructions to the average user as to which files to save (to run later) and which to run. The 3 people I am helping with this, all did the run and save part incorrectly before they called me for help. I spoke with a tech from Symantec last night, and he confirmed numerous calls have been placed to them on that issue alone. This upgrade, has been a nightmare for 3 different pcs I have worked on since 5pm last night via remote. If you don't save the installer file in your specified location, it puts it in a temporary file that the uninstaller for the old version removes. You then end up with no AV on your system, and no new file to install. If you try to go back to the link in the email, the link starts off with scanning for an old version, but....there is not one, their installer removed it, so you can not go any further.

You can bypass that easily and get the new 2011 version here http://www.norton.com/nav11

But, good luck trying to install it. Installation has failed on 3 pcs I have worked on. So then you need to do a full removal, with their tool, which can be found here.. http://www.norton.com/nrt remove, and restart pc.

So, now you have the 2011 version file to install, you get all the way to the end of live updates, and it says installation failed, and it only gives you one choice, to download the new Norton Power Eraser tool because it thinks your computer is infected. This tool is not a tool for the average user, and it comes up with numerous false positives. As I am typing this, I have Symantec remoting into one of the pcs (my Aunt's) to work on this problem. So far they have been on her pc for 3 hours. My Aunt keeps calling me telling me the tech from Symantec is doing everything I already did 4 times. He found out that the Power Eraser detects files, but they are not a known threat (which is what I told him when I called), and yet still, the installation will not complete (I went through this for hours last night).

I have dealt with Norton for many years on pcs, and never had any issue quite like this one. It is still not resolved. My biggest complaint to Symantec when I called last nite, and again this morning, is that their product should install regardless of whether or not it thinks there are infected files, and THEN it can frickin' scan the pc. The tech agreed fully.

I was not going to go into long details in this post, I was simply going to say, no, don't do this upgrade yet, but if I can save anyone else some time and trouble by providing this explanation, then the typing was worthwhile.

In most cases, like the 3 I was trying to deal with, they had 2009 on their pcs, so now Symantec has to either resolve the issue on those 3 pcs (get 2011 up and running) or give them 2009 or 2010 and make sure their product key works.

At least now I am able to sit back and wait to see what they do, and now it is their problem, and not mine. :wink: I don't get paid for helping friends and family with tech support, so I made sure Symantec knew I was not pleased with their free upgrade offer by any means, but they took down all information and assured me they would work on all 3 pcs themselves, via remote from their office, and they are doing that now.

If for some reason someone got through this upgrade fine, cheers to you, but to the many others dealing with this issue, sit back, call Symantec (USA 1-800-441-7234), let THEM deal with it, support is free for all 2009, 2010 and 2011 products.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: Norton Antivirus 2011 Free Upgrade/Major Issues

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:59 pm

wait a minute. let me get this straight. are you trying to tell me a norton security product has install/uninstall issues?

the hell you say.
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:10 pm

Lol, yah, yah yah, what a surprise huh. I could have given a brief summary above, but chose not to. Seriously, I have never run into any issue like this one with Norton before, any others were minor, and easily resolved. They are still on the one pc (4 hours now), lol, safe mode does not work (I tried it, and so did the tech), nothin' works so far. And I can get them 2009 to put back on, but these techs need to see what their new fangled product is doing, it's totally fucked up and leaves people stranded.

For the record, I may be a minority, but I think Norton is a good product although it is total bloatware and uses way too many system resources. For some of those I help, I prefer they have a good warning system, and since they already had Norton, they stuck with it. I may have them change products after their next renewal is due, depending on the outcome of this. At least for now, I am off the phone and can watch football while Symantec works. :)
sunnyd

Postby piglets222 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:07 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:wait a minute. let me get this straight. are you trying to tell me a norton security product has install/uninstall issues?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Norton is a good product

although it is total bloatware and uses way too many system resources

:lookup:

man... i used to think the same thing (damm was i dumb) and then i did some upgrade (like 2007 or something) and after spending SEVERAL Weekends, downloading, installing, erroring, uninstalling, redownloading.. rinse and repeat ON DIALUP

i went to avg and have never looked back

now one of the first things i do when i get a new computer is NUKENORTON!! :toast:
piglets222

Postby sunnyd » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:17 pm

I much prefer Norton over McAfee. At previous employers, I used corporate Symantec numerous times, never had issues with any upgrades, was able to push them all out from the server to workstations, no problem. At home, I have seven pcs although one is inactive, but out of 7 pcs, 2 have Norton, 5 have AVG. For friends and relatives, depending on how they use their pcs, I suggest Norton or AVG.

Update on the above case: Symantec tech gave up after 4.25 hours on the one pc, and has now referred the 3 cases to a Symantec engineer who is supposed to get back via remote on the one pc within 24 hours.
sunnyd

Return to Tech/Software Discussion